Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 01:15 PM

989 posts, read 2,497,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
you're missing a couple of things here.

One is that "bless your heart" is not a compliment. It generally precedes some negative comment but serves to lessen the blow. They are being very upfront about their "talking bad about you" if they're saying "bless your heart." and texans are friendly 95% of the time. New jersey people may be upfront with you, but you usually don't want to hear it (let alone hear how ugly the accent is!).

Also, football is one hell of a lot more important than water. We have the money to import water if we need to (and we are not running out). We can't import the benefits economically and socially that a state title brings to a town.
**applause**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 02:04 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSANY View Post
To all the native Texans, I still love your state, it's just not the right fit for me. I appreciate the chance to live here for a while, and there are things I'll miss (the weather not being one of them, though!).
At least you are honest about it! I respect and admire that. Seriously. As you say, it is just not right for you. Nothing in the least wrong with that.

The transplants I have nothing but disdain/contempt for are those yankees/northerners/west coasters who move here then whine and ***** because it is not what they ruined and fled to begin with. Worse, try and convert it into the same. And never seem to make the connection.

Good luck on your move back to the North. And hope you will come back for a visit some time. I mean that sincerely!

On a related mention, the football and bless your heart thing? Well, others have already answered that. But to re-emphasize?

While it might seem silly to folks from states/regions where the sport is not so popular, "investing" in high school football in Texas/South is just good business. As mentioned, it brings it a lot of return economic benefits to the city. Nobody just decided one day to tout the game and spend thousands of dollars on new stadiums or turf in hope it would take off. That is putting the cart before the horse. The popularity was already there and the spending on it was simply taking advantage of the fact. I mean, a city council could decide to build the most elaborate girls soccer field in the world, but it not in the least make it more popular or pay off down here.

Bless your heart? Well, that is just an old "Southernism". Its intent depends a lot upon context and the parties involved. Sometimes it is affectionate.

As to how you are speaking of it, I pretty much go along with what LoneRanger said. That is (if I read it right), a preface to tactfully soften/deflect what is forthcoming.

Sometime it can "stand alone" and let the chips fall where they may. Other times, though, it is used -- in the proverbial preface -- to those who run down Texas while enjoying all its milk and honey (or BBQ! LOL). What many outsiders do not ever seem to grasp is that what might be considered admirable frankness in some parts of the country, is considered tacky rudeness down here. And Texans/Southerners are not -- as a general rule --guilty of that later. As the old saying goes, folks in this part of the country will be polite until you make them mad enough to shoot! LOL Hense, the "well bless your heart...now then...." It CAN be a warning signal!

Anyway, to go back to the original post. I really do respect and appreciate your honesty and reasoning! Good luck to you, friend!

Old 07-14-2009, 02:07 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSANY View Post

To all the native Texans, I still love your state, it's just not the right fit for me. I appreciate the chance to live here for a while, and there are things I'll miss (the weather not being one of them, though!).
I'm a native Texan and Texas is not right for me either. I totally understand the weather, it's one of MANY reasons I want to move.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:59 PM

47 posts, read 252,794 times
Quote:
Also, football is one hell of a lot more important than water. We have the money to import water if we need to (and we are NOT running out). We can't import the benefits economically and socially that a state title brings to a town.
With the projected population increases that the Metroplex has forecast, I think the water situation is only going to get more serious, but I definitely hope I'm wrong. With the recent dose of heat we've gotten, most towns around me have enacted pretty severe drought restrictions in what seems like a hurry. With the population boom, the general lack of rain, and the searing heat, it just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Importing water is definitely an option, but in the end, it just becomes another added expense for the homeowners. (I think the water in Tarrant county is laced with platinum for what I fork over each month).

No doubt there's a time and place for spending money on your local athletics program -- I just think it's put ahead of some social issues that really could make better use of the money. Just my $0.02, not trying to say anyone's right or wrong.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:15 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
Quote:
Also, football is one hell of a lot more important than water. .

(wipes tears from eyes) sh*t thats hilarious.. need to walk this one off. LOL

Old 07-14-2009, 08:05 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
(wipes tears from eyes) sh*t thats hilarious.. need to walk this one off. LOL
I'm being dead serious.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:19 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
Quote:
I'm being dead serious.

I know

Old 07-15-2009, 12:35 AM

634 posts, read 1,447,726 times
Do I ever want to leave Texas? Only every hour of every minute of every second that I breathe.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:53 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
Do I ever want to leave Texas? Only every hour of every minute of every second that I breathe.
Then fer gosh sakes, don't let the next breath hit yer hindquarters on the way out!

Old 07-15-2009, 01:12 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
This is something I am kind of curious about. I have been in Texas now for about 15 years, and do not regret it at all. I do miss the mountains of Montana to a certain extent, but I do not miss the winters at all. Now that I am moving to Corpus Christi with a great job in hand, it makes it all the much better.

I suppose what I am asking, is I seem to always read threads about people wanting to come to this great state. I really never see threads about people wanting to move away from Texas; especially moving back north! Reading through these posts, it would almost seem as if there is a pilgrimage of some sort to Texas.

So, anyone out there who wants to get away from Texas, or is or actually has accomplished this and is happy about it?

Ian
I could very easily become homesick for Montana. Having lived all of my years there, Montana is a tough habit to kick.
I will miss the winter and the mountains.

I married a Texan, who, over the past 12 or so years, has had to put up with Montana winters for the sake of her husband. I'm a wild eyed Montana boy from Beaverhead County, and have had the great fortune to have Montana as my playground for nearly 50 years ..

Relationships between Montana and Texas go way back. Back to when the Republic of Texas did cattle business with the soon to be Montana territory .. Dad (from Granite County, MT) was in the U.S. Army Air Corps in Texas years ago, where he met my Mother (from Tewksbury, MA).

Funny thing about it was that my Mom, complained to Dad constantly about Texas dust ... only to leave Texas for Montana, only to find ... more dust.

Texas, not too unlike Montana, is free, somewhat lawless and freebooting by nature, and extremely independent.

I don't mind the weather here or the heat or the bugs or the humidity or the Mexicans or the laid back southern Texas style.

I'm actually surprised that I've gotten on so well here ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas