Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 05:48 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,003 times

Advertisements

This is something I am kind of curious about. I have been in Texas now for about 15 years, and do not regret it at all. I do miss the mountains of Montana to a certain extent, but I do not miss the winters at all. Now that I am moving to Corpus Christi with a great job in hand, it makes it all the much better.

I suppose what I am asking, is I seem to always read threads about people wanting to come to this great state. I really never see threads about people wanting to move away from Texas; especially moving back north! Reading through these posts, it would almost seem as if there is a pilgrimage of some sort to Texas.

So, anyone out there who wants to get away from Texas, or is or actually has accomplished this and is happy about it?

Ian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 06:08 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Never

Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
This is something I am kind of curious about. I have been in Texas now for about 15 years, and do not regret it at all. I do miss the mountains of Montana to a certain extent, but I do not miss the winters at all. Now that I am moving to Corpus Christi with a great job in hand, it makes it all the much better.

I suppose what I am asking, is I seem to always read threads about people wanting to come to this great state. I really never see threads about people wanting to move away from Texas; especially moving back north! Reading through these posts, it would almost seem as if there is a pilgrimage of some sort to Texas.

So, anyone out there who wants to get away from Texas, or is or actually has accomplished this and is happy about it?

Ian
As a native West Texan, I would have preferred to stay within Texas, but Texas doesn't have what I wanted the most....snow skiing and colder weather.

The older I get, the more I hate the almost-year around hot weather that starts in March-April and doesn't end until November. Nights don't cool off as they did while I was growing up, either.

Turns out that I didn't go far north enough. It was 75 here in south central NM at 4500 feet.

So I'll be headed farther north later when the economy picks up.

If I come back to Texas, it will have to be where the mountains are. I'll enjoy the mountains (those are a must, as I don't plan to ever live where I can't see them on a daily basis, given the choice)...but I'll have to put up with the heat again....

Old 02-08-2009, 08:20 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Yes, I'd like to but only because of the hot and humid weather. I'm also not fond of the severe storms we have in Texas. I'd also love to live where there are mountains, but I don't want a place that has long winters like we have long summers. I keep hoping it will happen when I retire, but it would be hard to leave family. Winter in Texas is ideal as long as it stays 60 or below, preferably between 30 and 50 (although I would like an average about 12 inches of snow a year), but the summers are what totally "do me in." They are way too long with no real breaks in the misery. I hate them.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:23 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
My husband and I couldn't wait to leave Texas because we had a "Pacific Northwest = heaven" fantasy and we had to relocate and live there for 10 years to get over it. Now we are happy to be back in Texas.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:03 AM

469 posts, read 1,451,615 times
I loved growing up in North Texas and most of my family is still there. We came to Houston 5+ years ago for my husband's job. I am counting the days until we move out of here. The choice was PA or here, we chose PA. Houston offers high traffic, VERY high humidity and months and months of unbearable hot weather. Don't even get me started on the mosquitoes and all the various bugs here.
If I could move back to North Texas, I would, although I also love West Texas - dry climate, mountains, very friendly people.
I will be saying good-bye to my home state. If we ever do get to come back, I promise it will not be to anywhere close to Houston.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:07 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times
I love Texas, grew up here (Metroplex) and most of my family is here; but I'll likely retire in the North Georgia Mountains region.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:14 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
I love Texas, grew up here (Metroplex) and most of my family is here; but I'll likely retire in the North Georgia Mountains region.
That's a beautiful area. I'm going there next weekend, Monday, and Tuesday to snoop around. I'm so wanting to live some place where the mountains are beautiful, the weather cooler in the summer, and some snow would be nice too. Do you have any particular town in mind?

Old 02-08-2009, 11:37 AM

295 posts, read 1,178,842 times
I am a native Texan who left. Now I can't wait to get back! I moved to Oregon. I have found that I miss the beautiful sunsets. I even miss the storms!

Yes, the mountains here are beautiful and it is fun being close to the beach....but Texas will always be first in my heart and I am working hard to get me and my daughter back there as soon as possible!

Old 02-08-2009, 02:23 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
We left Texas right after our honeymoon and moved to Denver. Actually, my husband lived there a year before we were married, he just came and got me We were there for 6 years and we just did it on a whim, for a change of pace and scene. My husband loves cold weather and snow skiing much more than I do, although I do like skiing. My favorite part was all the places available to go for day trips and all the gold mining history and ghost towns. The genealogist in me had a field day. My husband talks about one day maybe going back or if not, buying some property to build a get away cabin. Best of both worlds. We came back to Texas to be close to family because we felt it was important for our daughter to know them. My husband was really sad when we first moved back to Texas and he had a hard time readjusting, but then he ended up finding that a bunch of his old running buddies live in the area and he's happy as a clam now And anyway, Denver isn't too far by plane and we still have friends who live there so we always have an excuse to come and visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas