Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:06 AM

11 posts, read 38,176 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are both recently retired and are considering a move to McAllen TX for retirement (we've lived for the longest time in Chicago, with a brief sojourn in Albuquerque). We are thinking that a warm, moist, heat environment would be beneficial for my wife's degenerative arthritis (back and hip). On the other hand, I know that Texas heat (particularly in the RGV) can be overwhelming. Any arthritis sufferers in the RGV here who can give advice about the region's weather and its affect on their arthritis? And as an additional concern, how do McAllen residents cope with the heat? Any tips or guidelines about staying safe and coping during the hot summers? Thanks in advance for any information or advice.

DaveF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 02:12 PM

14 posts, read 59,079 times
McAllen is nothing like ABQ. Lived both places once't upon a time. I don't think the humidity will be helpful to anyone's arthritis. Likely really make it ache in winter. Bring your money for your AC bills in the summer.

One thing people from the North don't realize when relocating is that as surely as the winter cold can "trap" you in your house, the summer heat can trap you as well. Saw many flock to Tucson, to their subsequent misery.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~dust~ View Post
McAllen is nothing like ABQ. Lived both places once't upon a time. I don't think the humidity will be helpful to anyone's arthritis. Likely really make it ache in winter. Bring your money for your AC bills in the summer.

One thing people from the North don't realize when relocating is that as surely as the winter cold can "trap" you in your house, the summer heat can trap you as well. Saw many flock to Tucson, to their subsequent misery.

Good luck to you.
Dust,

Thanks for your reply. I have to say that the summer heat would be a concern of mine, and we are not absolutely sure whether McAllen's climate would help my wife's arthritis. The medical evidence I've read seems inconsistent on the effects of climate and location change on arthritis. And I would imagine that air conditioning bills can be very high in McAllen! At least in Albq we can turn off the air conditioner for prolonged periods of the day during the summers. Thanks again.

DaveF

Old 03-15-2007, 03:00 PM

14 posts, read 59,079 times
DaveF, I can see why you'd want to leave ABQ. It got big and busy and surely it did change. ABQ is mighty pretty and laid out easy to get around, but the traffic esp around the Spaghetti Bowl can be rough, and constant graffiti is hard on the eyes and the heart. Plus the elevation gives many older persons problems.

Don't let the idea of heat stop you in your search for a new place. Some can take it. I would be more concerned that so close to the border, you might not feel sympatico with the culture. I do know many RV'ers love stopping in McAllen.

Sometimes it is helpful to refine in your own mind what your requirements are for a new locale.

You might also want to ask on some of the RV'ers forums about senior-friendly places. Many are coping with arthritis themselves. Best of luck.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:01 PM

Dust,

Thanks for the suggestion about checking RVer boards. I may just do that. Albuquerque has changed as you indicate, although the size of the city does not bother me after having lived in Chicago for almost 3 decades. The sun and fairly mild seasons are great. The altitude can be a problem sometimes. We live in the NE Heights at around 6000 ft. elevation, and climbing stairs or walking steep inclines can leave me huffing.

If I was sure McAllen would help my wife's arthritis, I would be more enthusiastic about a move, and I would be more inclined if Texas wasn't so hot! Severe summer heat is something I've almost forgotten, after having lived many years in Chicago and now Albq. Once upon a time I lived in Ft. Worth and went to school at U.T. Austin, so Texas summer heat is still etched in my long-term memory.

On the other hand, I do like Texas' lack of state income tax, Texas friendliness, mild winters, Texas barbecue and Tex-Mex food. Spanish might be a problem for me if needed to request services or do business in McAllen, but less so for my wife who understands Spanish better than myself. As for medical services, I did notice that McAllen has 2 of the top 200 clinical hospitals in the country according to WebMD (McAllen Heart Hospital and Rio Grande Regional Hospital). The whole state of New Mexico does not have even one hospital among the top 200, and is listed as a medically underserved area by medical insurers. Almost a third to a half of the medical facilites in Albq (part of the Presbyterian Healthcare system) will not accept my Blue Cross insurance. Guess we will have to prioritize what we like and dislike about both McAllen and Albq.

DaveF

Old 04-17-2007, 05:06 AM

7 posts, read 30,569 times
Spanish May Be A Language Barrier But Myself Being A 19 Yr Old Hispanic My Spanish Isnt Even That Good. But Every1 Ive Encountered That Only Speak Spanish R Not Rude About It And Usually Understand What U R Trying 2 Say. The Heat Does Suck But Its Possible 2 Find Something 2 Do Here Thats Indoors. During The Summer We Have Plenty Of Things 4 The Winter Texans As Well. And Our Hospitals (rio Grande Regional) R Amongst The Greatest.

Actually I Know Of A Place Thats Here In Mcallen. They R Apartments But They Seem Very Friendly And Quiet. Its Enclosed So U Walk Out And In The Center Is A Swimming Pool And Roses. U Can See Whats Whats Going Around Being That The Entrance Of The Apts Are In A Circle So I Think Less Likely Tresspassers. Theyre Right Behind The H-e-b On 10th And Fern

Old 04-17-2007, 09:45 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Question Why McAllen?

Was there some reason why you had selected McAllen? If you like Texas, there are areas that get hot, but would not be as extreme as McAllen.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:42 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
West Texas has a similar climate to ABQ, higher elevation and dry heat. Summers can actually be somewhat pleasant in West Texas or in places like Marfa that have higher elevations.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:02 PM

6 posts, read 21,858 times
Default Energy Costs Are a Factor

For folks considering a move to Texas, I would strongly urge them to factor energy costs into the equation. According to a bill that I received from San Antonio's public utility, CPS, the electricity cost in El Paso is nearly double the cost in San Antonio for the same amount of kilowatt hours. As I recall, electricity costing $100 in SA would cost about $193 in El Paso. I don't have it on paper for McAllen, but a realtor there told me that for a 2,200 square foot house, he pays about $500 a month for electricity during the warmer months (which could be about 6-7 months a year in McAllen). San Antonio's energy costs are much less than those in either El Paso or McAllen, and are among the lowest in the country. Home prices might be a little higher in SA compared with McAllen or El Paso, but the lower energy costs cancel that out. And aside from cost, I think that SA offers a lot more in terms of things to do, central location, convenient flight connections, interesting places for day trips, health care options, and major metro area conveniences.

I'm not knocking McAllen or El Paso, and I'm sure that each of them has some attractive aspects, but after going through the analysis, I decided to move to SA.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:22 PM

I've been away from this forum for a little while, so I want to thank all the additional posters who provided their opinions and information. As Monorax indicated, McAllen does have some very good hospitals which is an important factor for us. The heat of course is a problem, and very extreme in McAllen as kaykay indicates. That factor is giving me second thoughts about moving there. Synopsis did mention that parts of west Texas are at higher elevation, and so the heat feels less severe in those places. I have checked out El Paso and although I liked the summer climate there, I didn't care for EP's congestion. The Franklin Mountains seem to push down on the city and tighten traffic going east and west. Finally, thanks to NCNO for some really interesting and helpful info about electricity costs in El Paso, SA, and McAllen. I did not realize that SA's electric costs were that much lower than El Paso or McAllen. We may start thinking about San Antonio instead!!

DaveF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas