Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Puerto Ricans discriminated
YES in Mcallen 4 44.44%
No, Puerto Ricans are well accepted in Mcallen 4 44.44%
YES, in Harlingen 3 33.33%
No, Puerto Ricans are well accepted in Harlingen 2 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 06:23 PM

44 posts, read 119,526 times

Advertisements

hi ya'll i have a question hope some one can answer it........

I was hearing a radio station in Puerto Rico last night and they were talking about places that Puerto Ricans go and for some reason they are discriminated, alot of people called and gave there opinions and`stories. The fact is that Puerto Ricans ARE indeed discriminated in many states, but my husband and me were schocked' to hear that Puerto Ricans are discriminated really bad in Mcallen, Harlingen and Dallas. It shocked us because we are making the arrangements to move to Mcallen or Harlingen.( and i find discriminating someone for what ever reason is WRONG ! )
I was born and raised in Mass. then i lived in Florida. My 2 daughters were born and basically raised in Florida, (we've been in Puerto Rico for 6 yrs (this month) my youngest daughter ( 4 yrs old ) was born In Puerto Rico, my husband was born and raised in Puerto Rico and honestly he had a VERY rough time when we lived in Kissimmee Florida because since he also has blood from Ecuador (from his dad's side) he has a central american look... one time he got arrested for NOT having an ID that proved he was Puerto Rican, the cops were sure he was a mexican allien. He was in jail for about 14 days until the FBI confirmed indeed he was Puerto Rican.
Anyways my main question is "are there Puerto Ricans in Mcallen and Harlingen area???? Have Puerto Ricans felt they have been discriminated ?? What can Puerto Ricans say about Mcallen or Harlingen area???
PLEASE IF THERE IS A PUERTO RICAN ON THIS THREAD I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE A RESPONSE FROM YOU.
If there are NO Puerto Ricans on this thread either way i will still apreciate any and all responses .......... thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 10:50 PM

398 posts, read 1,416,347 times
i would say puerto ricans are picked on more than normal in the valley.

it's not horrible, not discrimination, but you will more than likely come across someone talking **** because youre puerto rican, but then again you get *******s everywhere.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:55 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
What a ridicules thing to ask. Why dont you just be yourself and people will like you for who you are. You spend a great deal of time on here complaining about who is going to treat you wrong because you are disabled and how much assistance Texas can give you and now you worry that a Puerto Rican will not be accepted.

Have you been here? There are all kinds of people from all walks of life. Those telling you San Antonio will give you more assistance are idiots. Govt assistance is a state thing, not a city thing.

Discriminated against? The way I see it people in a wheel chair get more assistance and benefits then I do. I dont have a personalized parking space waiting for me at every establishment.

Isn't Puerto Rico a friend and allie of the United States? Why the worries?

You know something? When I grew up in the northeast I only knew Puerto Ricans with some Cubans after Jimmy Carter let them all in for free. We had no Mexicans, there were none. I only just heard of the country of Mexico. Then I moved to the south west and there were no Puerto Ricans, just Mexicans with a few Americans thrown in with the label of minority. Today there are every mix all intermingling and we have no race problems as far as I know. So just come see for yourself.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:10 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenushka View Post
hi ya'll i have a question hope some one can answer it........

I was hearing a radio station in Puerto Rico last night and they were talking about places that Puerto Ricans go and for some reason they are discriminated, alot of people called and gave there opinions and`stories. The fact is that Puerto Ricans ARE indeed discriminated in many states, but my husband and me were schocked' to hear that Puerto Ricans are discriminated really bad in Mcallen, Harlingen and Dallas. It shocked us because we are making the arrangements to move to Mcallen or Harlingen.( and i find discriminating someone for what ever reason is WRONG ! )
I was born and raised in Mass. then i lived in Florida. My 2 daughters were born and basically raised in Florida, (we've been in Puerto Rico for 6 yrs (this month) my youngest daughter ( 4 yrs old ) was born In Puerto Rico, my husband was born and raised in Puerto Rico and honestly he had a VERY rough time when we lived in Kissimmee Florida because since he also has blood from Ecuador (from his dad's side) he has a central american look... one time he got arrested for NOT having an ID that proved he was Puerto Rican, the cops were sure he was a mexican allien. He was in jail for about 14 days until the FBI confirmed indeed he was Puerto Rican.
Anyways my main question is "are there Puerto Ricans in Mcallen and Harlingen area???? Have Puerto Ricans felt they have been discriminated ?? What can Puerto Ricans say about Mcallen or Harlingen area???
PLEASE IF THERE IS A PUERTO RICAN ON THIS THREAD I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE A RESPONSE FROM YOU.
If there are NO Puerto Ricans on this thread either way i will still apreciate any and all responses .......... thanx
I am mexican american and grew up in corpus christi during the 1970s/80s. There were not many boricuas living there at that time. We just considered them to be "one of us". As long as you don't act better than us (like a cuban), you will be OK. Honestly, there was such a shortage of Hispanic role models when I was growing up that my parents and grandparents would point out to us with pride that "one of us" was famous and "made it", even if they weren't necessarily mexican american like us. One of the first that I remember that they boasted about was Tony Orlando (Boricua of course)
I really don't think that you would encounter any problems at all, but please go visit those areas and investigate.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:11 PM

Red face i just had questions ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
What a ridicules thing to ask. Why dont you just be yourself and people will like you for who you are. You spend a great deal of time on here complaining about who is going to treat you wrong because you are disabled and how much assistance Texas can give you and now you worry that a Puerto Rican will not be accepted.

Have you been here? There are all kinds of people from all walks of life. Those telling you San Antonio will give you more assistance are idiots. Govt assistance is a state thing, not a city thing.

Discriminated against? The way I see it people in a wheel chair get more assistance and benefits then I do. I dont have a personalized parking space waiting for me at every establishment.

Isn't Puerto Rico a friend and allie of the United States? Why the worries?

You know something? When I grew up in the northeast I only knew Puerto Ricans with some Cubans after Jimmy Carter let them all in for free. We had no Mexicans, there were none. I only just heard of the country of Mexico. Then I moved to the south west and there were no Puerto Ricans, just Mexicans with a few Americans thrown in with the label of minority. Today there are every mix all intermingling and we have no race problems as far as I know. So just come see for yourself.
Hey desertsun, I have to admit that i agree with what you are saying it is quite ridiculous BUT you would be surprised what Puerto Ricans go through. I have NEVER had a problem i fit in no matter where i go.
I like to get along and above i respect everyones nationality and to me we are ALL the same BUT some people don;t think that way and believe me my husband went through alot of **** when we were in Florida and here when my girls went to school they were badly teased and were NEVER accepted because according to Puerto Ricans here they are"gringas" even the teachers gave my daughters a hard time in school for being born in Florida and NOT knowing spanish when we moved here. Ofcourse everything that my daughters went through (especially my second daughter which is 17 now) she suffered severe depresssion, very LOW self esteem and as consecuence she turned into a violent person in school. She was under treatment for a long time and was even hospitalized in a institution for mental disorders. I would NOT want to go through that again. It was very tough on us. Now my daughter is doing a lot better with the help of doctors she has gotten over all that but it was not easy.
As far as assistances goes if i recall correctly it all came up because some one in the thread mentioned that the RGV was no good and that i should double think about moving there she said it was the WORST mistake i can be making and when the subject came up about disablility this person told me that it was hell trying to get it in the Valley. It did sound weird when i was told that it was easier in the SA area BUT i asked out of curiosity.
I do get Social security and i HAVE to report to the Social security office as soon as i move other wise i will loose my benefits and i just wanted to make sure that i would be able to take care of this with NO problem.
I would LOVE to go toTexas as a matter of fact like NOW but unfortunatley i can't. I know though any where i go to is better than here.
I don;t mean to upset any one here so i hope no one is upset i mean i just had questions and i asked them. I think any one in my position would have done the same.

Last edited by nenushka; 02-14-2009 at 06:33 PM..

Old 02-14-2009, 06:20 PM

Default i didn't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I am mexican american and grew up in corpus christi during the 1970s/80s. There were not many boricuas living there at that time. We just considered them to be "one of us". As long as you don't act better than us (like a cuban), you will be OK. Honestly, there was such a shortage of Hispanic role models when I was growing up that my parents and grandparents would point out to us with pride that "one of us" was famous and "made it", even if they weren't necessarily mexican american like us. One of the first that I remember that they boasted about was Tony Orlando (Boricua of course)
I really don't think that you would encounter any problems at all, but please go visit those areas and investigate.
Hey thanx for replying, I didn;t think it would be a problem but i asked just incase. (well actually i asked because of what the radio station was saying )
I get along with everyone i mean some of my best friends were Mexicans in Florida and my husband and me had GREAT co-workers that were Mexicans as well. To make it funny my husband looks Mexican so does my yougest daughter. I am tanned black hair and my other 2 daughter the same. I am SURE we will fit in.......
( i am thinking i should NOT have asked that question here )

I KNOW EXACTLY what you mean when you say like "cubans" BOY do i know i mean having lived in Florida who doesn;t know , but they are nice people as well.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:26 PM

Default i understand .........

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan55 View Post
i would say puerto ricans are picked on more than normal in the valley.

it's not horrible, not discrimination, but you will more than likely come across someone talking **** because youre puerto rican, but then again you get *******s everywhere.
Ok i can understand people talking about the Puerto Ricans because hey i have lived in PR for 6 yrs now and you know it is amazing to see how things really are. Even my husband that is 100% puert Rican says the same. But what i was asking was discrimiation....... i guess not ... cool !
i have NOTHING to worry about then.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:05 PM

367 posts, read 1,023,514 times
i dont mean to offend anyone and maybe because i really don't know, but it just seems to me that everyone has a chip on their shoulders and everyone believes their nationality to be supreme and when you come right down to it, we are ALL in the same boat, one way or the other, but I do believe that people may discriminate, not out of hate, but out of ignorance. everyone keeps to themselves and as long as that continues, we never get to know each other and that just escalates the problem

Old 02-14-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladihawkae View Post
i dont mean to offend anyone and maybe because i really don't know, but it just seems to me that everyone has a chip on their shoulders and everyone believes their nationality to be supreme and when you come right down to it, we are ALL in the same boat, one way or the other, but I do believe that people may discriminate, not out of hate, but out of ignorance. everyone keeps to themselves and as long as that continues, we never get to know each other and that just escalates the problem
that makes alot of sense ! it couldn't have been said any better.......

Old 02-15-2009, 09:14 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,003 times
I have been seeing you post many times now, Nenushka, about the valley, asking the same questions over and over again. Not to be critical, but there is a WEALTH of information on here from prior threads, talking about anything from discrimination to politics to economics to the weather, and more! Further, you really need to go there and experience it first hand for a few weeks, if possible. I would strongly suggest, if you do go there, rent first, look around, talk to the locals. You will know fairly quickly if the RGV is right for you or not.

Ian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas