Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you could live in any of the four, with the same standard of living, which one would you live in?
Dallas 60 22.47%
Houston 86 32.21%
San Antonio 48 17.98%
Austin 59 22.10%
None of the above 14 5.24%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 12:53 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
That is not accurate information.

The virgin land early Dallas was established on was heavily forested but cleared by settlers for construction and agricultural purposes. In the 1950's as Dallas transitioned from agriculture to urban, the Trinity River was once again allowed to run its natural course and began replanting hardwoods within the floodplain. Hence, the creation of the Great Trinity Forest.

Yes, the larger trees we see in Dallas today were planted eons ago by the natural Trinity River flood cycle.
Ok...

My grandfather, who was born in the City of Dallas (Hall Street to be exact) during the early 1920's even says Dallas was/is considered prairie with far fewer trees than the real forests of East-Southeast Texas. My Grandmother who grew up in Waco says the same thing. Wide open farm land as far as the eye could see.

They recall the days when the Magnolia Building in Dallas stood as the tallest & that flying red pegasus could be seen for 30-40 miles away on a clear night over the vast prairie. Even with all the development today Dallas' towering skyline can still be seen shimmering in the night from afar, I've personally seen it from at least 30 miles away.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 06-30-2009 at 01:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 01:15 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,736 times
I've noticed an anti-Austin bias on the Texas Forum.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post

Why, because its always expected to be the #1 city in Texas or so the national magazine publications & media would lead you to believe? Austin is a great city don't get me wrong, but its far from paradise in Texas.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:53 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Sorry to inform you, but that is also how it works in off this forum as well. It's non-texans are overhype Austin and love it so much. Us Texans just happen to like it or hate it.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:31 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Its just when ever I hear the words "forest" & "Dallas" they don't quite mesh mmmk?

The wooded areas of Dallas (a much better description) are found near the many waterways & lakes in the area. North Texas predominately sits on what was once wide open, flat to gently rolling prairie with a tree or two scattered here & there. The larger trees you see in inner city Dallas were planted eons ago. I'm sure in 100 years or more Frisco will have real tree lined streets too!
Have you ever seen or herd of The Great Trinity Forest the largest urban forest.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:53 AM

1,560 posts, read 1,263,561 times
Quote:
And us people from everywhere else have noticed that people from Austin like to crow about how their city is so much better than every other city in Texas.

Last edited by lothartheterrible; 06-30-2009 at 08:28 AM..

Old 06-30-2009, 10:48 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothartheterrible View Post
And us people from everywhere else have noticed that people from Austin like to crow about how their city is so much better than every other city in Texas.
Austin is over hyped by Austinites and by people in other states. Who probably heard it from the Austinites or some magazine. In the Texas forum there seems to be a better grip on reality; it's not anti-Austin, just truth on Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Ok...

My grandfather, who was born in the City of Dallas (Hall Street to be exact) during the early 1920's even says Dallas was/is considered prairie with far fewer trees than the real forests of East-Southeast Texas. My Grandmother who grew up in Waco says the same thing. Wide open farm land as far as the eye could see.
Exactly, and I don't understand this defensiveness of some Dallasites about the trees (or lack of). Just admit it. The only places in present day Dallas that are heavily forested are around the Lakewood/University area and White Rock. We won't even discuss the suburbs. It is what it is, what's the big problem?

Old 06-30-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Have you ever seen or herd of The Great Trinity Forest the largest urban forest.
Yes I have as a matter of fact.

Dallas News - The Great Trinity Forest Ain't So Great - page 1

Old 06-30-2009, 12:28 PM

Should we have an Al Gore recount for the hanging chads since some people automatically expect Austin or Dallas to be #1?

Old 06-30-2009, 01:10 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,736 times
All those negative responses about Austin prove my point. The thing is people from Austin are only guilty of speaking about the positive aspects of Austin, while people in other cities point out the negative aspects of Austin instead of the positive of their own city. If loving Austin makes it overhyped and pretentious, than I guess it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas