Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:06 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times

Advertisements

it is only common courtesy to pick up after one's dog.... and those who DON'T make life a LOT harder for those of us who DO.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 02:54 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
When you are talking about pedestrian only beaches at least in the South Padre Island area then yes I agree and that sounds fine in an ideal world.. BUT if you are talking about public beaches that allow vehicles ( not maintained) there is sometimes a lot of trash that washes up on shore from ships. Not to mention trash that may be left behind by visitors. I dont think a little dog poop will matter much especially since it is bio-degradable and the beach covers vast areas (30 miles or more).
I think it matters a great deal. When I go for a barefoot walk on the beach, dog poop is not what I want to feel between my toes. I have no desire to step in dog poop or end up getting diseases from it because dog owners are to lazy to clean up after their dogs. That is why dogs are not allowed in so many public places... lazy and irresponsible owners.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:05 PM

217 posts, read 640,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroleg View Post
I'm traveling to Texas in late March for a dog event and would like to go down to the gulf coast with my dogs afterwards. I've been looking for dog friendly beaches to take my puppers, but it seems that they all require a 6 foot leash.

Anybody know of any "dog beaches" where leashes are optional? You know, someplace that is designated for dogs. My dogs sure would appreciate the relief from the heat.
What part of Texas? Houston? Are you going to be near Galveston, or Freeport, or Corpus christi? We have miles of beaches!

I live at surfside, and sorry, leashes aren't optional - especially this time of year. During the winter we usually can get away with letting the pups run loose, but not in high season, which starts in Texas in March.

But if you are close to Houston and go to either Galveston OR Surfside, there is a road called "Bluewater highway" that goes FROM Galveston TO Surfside, and a lot of the beach that runs by the road never has people on it. Just don't get to close to the water at San Luis Pass (dangerous currents for doggies), go further towards Surfside, since you can drive on the beach find a place away from people, and just watch out for the Sherrifs department (you'll be able to see them coming and put the dogs on a leash, the cops won't harrass you if they see you respecting them).

Old 05-23-2011, 07:54 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I think it matters a great deal. When I go for a barefoot walk on the beach, dog poop is not what I want to feel between my toes. I have no desire to step in dog poop or end up getting diseases from it because dog owners are to lazy to clean up after their dogs. That is why dogs are not allowed in so many public places... lazy and irresponsible owners.
I can only speak about South Padre because that is what I am familiar with. I imagine other area beaches are similar. Do you not look where you walk?? If there was a dead fish, jellyfish, stingray etc. laying on the beach would you step on it without even looking? If there was broken bottle glass, a messed up diaper or some other trash on the beach would you step in it?? I do agree people should pick up after their dog but also think some people make it WAY to BIG of deal. The beaches are vast. On South Padre Island once yo go north of the hotel area (pedestrian only), the beaches are not so clean. They also cover very large areas and to keep the entire area spotless would be next to impossible. The areas closest to the water itself are usually clean because of the ocean keeping them that way. But as you go away from the shoreline you will find a lot of litter on the beach. And as I stated in my previous post it is not all from the visitors. The majority of it is discarded from ships. And dog's ARE allowed on ALL of the beaches. The leash is required to keep both the DOG and the public safe. In areas where cars are allowed a dog can easily be run over if left off of a leash.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:16 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I can only speak about South Padre because that is what I am familiar with. I imagine other area beaches are similar. Do you not look where you walk?? If there was a dead fish, jellyfish, stingray etc. laying on the beach would you step on it without even looking? If there was broken bottle glass, a messed up diaper or some other trash on the beach would you step in it?? I do agree people should pick up after their dog but also think some people make it WAY to BIG of deal. The beaches are vast. On South Padre Island once yo go north of the hotel area (pedestrian only), the beaches are not so clean. They also cover very large areas and to keep the entire area spotless would be next to impossible. The areas closest to the water itself are usually clean because of the ocean keeping them that way. But as you go away from the shoreline you will find a lot of litter on the beach. And as I stated in my previous post it is not all from the visitors. The majority of it is discarded from ships. And dog's ARE allowed on ALL of the beaches. The leash is required to keep both the DOG and the public safe. In areas where cars are allowed a dog can easily be run over if left off of a leash.
So just because there is some trash on the beach, it's OK to spread more trash and dog crap? Dog crap spreads disease, worms and ecoli, all of which are hazardous to humans. When the rain causes your dog crap to soak into the beach, it can't be seen, but the disease, worms and ecoli is still there waiting for someone to step into it. It also washes into the gulf where people are swimming. If you and other's like you continue with these practices it will result in dogs not being allowed on the beaches. It is already happening at swimming holes all over Texas. It has happened at beaches on both the East and West coasts, its only a matter of time if irresponsible pet owners continue with this kind of behavior here.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:50 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
So just because there is some trash on the beach, it's OK to spread more trash and dog crap? Dog crap spreads disease, worms and ecoli, all of which are hazardous to humans. When the rain causes your dog crap to soak into the beach, it can't be seen, but the disease, worms and ecoli is still there waiting for someone to step into it. It also washes into the gulf where people are swimming. If you and other's like you continue with these practices it will result in dogs not being allowed on the beaches. It is already happening at swimming holes all over Texas. It has happened at beaches on both the East and West coasts, its only a matter of time if irresponsible pet owners continue with this kind of behavior here.
Yeah, Yeah, Blah, Blah.. The ocean is sterile, not a single pollutant in it.. I have a dog but I don't take it to the beach. Don't make assumptions.. You want to concentrate on a little dog poop and the fact that is going to ruin the oceans forever, you go ahead.. Look at the big picture. and I will not go into the details (there are many).. I will only begin to describe it with two letters....BP

P.S. Oh and I forgot to mention

Ocean Water Pollution by Cruise Liners
Only about 20 percent of ocean pollution is caused by ocean based activities. Even from this 20 percent, the major contribution comes from cruise ships. Statistics reveal that an average sized cruise ship produces around a million gallons of waste water in a week. (The incidents of oil spills are lesser compared to incidents of garbage dumping by cruises, and hence cruises are regarded as the most polluting factors, but one major oil spill can lead to tonnes of oil being dumped in the water body amassing to much more pollution than what a single cruise ship can possibly do.)

And more

Ocean Pollution

Last edited by gguerra; 05-24-2011 at 08:02 AM..

Old 05-25-2011, 08:19 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan55 View Post
who cleans up after the coyotes?
Coyotes don't leave tight coils of undigested corn meal, however. It's usually a compact pellet of bones and fur that dessicates and scatters in short order whereas a nice purina dog turd is quite persistent in the environment.

I've frequently had my dog on the beach off leash, but always with his e-collar. I've never had an issue with law enforcement even though I'm not strictly adhering to ordinance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas