Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 11:35 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times

Advertisements

You're getting some good advice.

The two states have similarities, but a lot of differences. I am from Oklahoma but have lived in Texas for 20 years. Texas is a fine place but I long to return to Oklahoma because it is my home; it is where I was born and raised. Pay is higher in Texas, but so is the cost of living, but not drastically so. I have managed to earn a good living in Texas and the cost of living is relatively inexpensive compared to the pay scale.

I have found it a challenge to move back to Oklahoma and afford to make a living. This is the honest truth. Of course if you have been offered a good job in Oklahoma that is irrelevant.

Matthaeus, Txsooner, and many others are providing some good comparisons.

Wherever you end up, I wish you only the very best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 12:23 PM

84 posts, read 282,896 times
Default One More Example of Cost of Living

I would like to add one more example that cost of living is lower in OK. If you look at the website Texas Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Texas and click on the "maps" section, you will see a "gas price temperature chart" for the entire United States. For the entire time I have visited this site in the last two years, OK has always had gas prices cheaper than TX. In fact, OK has usually had the lowest gas prices in all of the U.S.. Don't ask me why! I'm sure there is a logical explanation for it.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:23 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
As an outsider (I live in Kansas), one thing I can think of is Texas has no state income tax. I'm not really planning to move anytime soon, maybe never, but I often dream about not having to pay state income tax.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:42 PM

4 posts, read 29,362 times
Thanks everyone for the information!!!!!! I should have also clarified that we have two small baby boys (2&1/2 years and 11 months) so safe neighborhoods and eventually good school districts are important to us. I am a Social Worker and my husband is in restaraunt management. We are an interracial family and were also wondering about cultural acceptance/tolerance in these prviously mentioned areas. And as far as TExas goes, for those of you who inquired,we were interested in the Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth,and El Paso areas.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:24 AM

2 posts, read 15,994 times
Don't move to Oklahoma. Oklahoma City is the bullseye for Tornados and severe weather. Your kids will be scared stiff the first time really severe weather blows through and it happens frequently around OKC. Hellacious lightning, thunder, wind, tornados, etc. You freeze in the winter, fry in the summer, suffer through many allergies the rest of the year. Having lived in both places; the weather seems to be a little less drastic and not as frequent in Texas for the most part and job opportunities are far better in Texas.

El Paso is a whole other country from the rest of Texas. It is just total desert like Arizona. It's like a much uglier version of Phoenix. Supposed to be 3rd safest city in the country but not sure how long it will hold that spot with the drug cartels warring it out right across the border in Juarez. Seems like it should be a much more dangerous place to live with it being right on the border, and all the drug trafficking, cartels, etc. but I guess the authorities do a really good job of policing it around their. The population is predominantly hispanic. The best (prettiest) parts of the state of Texas are around Austin, but probably not easy to get jobs in that area as that is where everyone wants to live. Austin is more liberal and open than the rest of the state, but I don't think you would have a problem in any of the bigger cities being in a inter-racial relationship. The small towns like small towns pretty much anywhere have a few backwards folks.

Houston, and DFW are like any other major cities - High Crime, Lots of Traffic, good job opportunities. Both have good areas to live in and very bad areas to avoid. Very hot and humid in the Summers. Winters are very mild compared to where you're from. There is the occasional ice storm in the D/FW area about every 5 years or so.

Last edited by phxhornfan; 02-26-2009 at 02:58 AM..

Old 02-26-2009, 09:53 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Good grief. That last post there was negative and fear-mongering. I lived in Texas for 13 years and worked in OK. I love both and am currently working my way back to either one from WA state. Certain areas of TX have just as severe weather as OK. I lived in Amarillo and I remember the tornado sirens going off and some pretty wicked hailstorms. It does happen every summer but it's not something to get spent in a tizzy over. There are severe storms and weather in all parts of Texas n the summer months, so in that sense, it isn't much different than OK. OK probably has more tornado touchdowns but there are just as many tornadoes forming in TX. I used to forecast weather in the Air National Guard in OK and a friend of mine worked for the NWS in Amarillo (he was a tornado chaser). Anyway, I wouldn't let the weather dictate your move. IT's really six of one, half dozen of the other.

Any major city, Houston, DFW, even OKC and Tulsa have areas of crime. Minor cities do too. Don't let that sway your decision either. You can find good job opportunities in both states, although I will agree that the pay in TX will probably be higher than what you'll get in OK. The only areas I would really worry about are the border cities or towns. I personally would not live in El Paso. The border crime, drugs, is true, and it is coming on up and over the border. That's not to say there aren't safe areas in El Paso, but I think you can do better. Pay isn't that great in EL Paso anyway.

Texas is so vast. It is broken up into several areas: piney woods, high plains, coastal, hill country, etc and each of these is different in topography and even socially. Years ago the Texas Tourism used to run a commerical that said "Texas, it's like a whole other country" and in that sense, it's true. It takes 12 hours to drive from the top to the tip of Texas and 12 to drive from end to end (I've done it so I know). In that sense it's really hard to characterize Texas. I will say though that I love it. It would be ideal if you could visit each state, maybe the areas that interest you before you make such a move.

BUt please don't let that last poster scare you. That just doesn't make sense.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:24 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Good grief. It does happen every summer but it's not something to get spent in a tizzy over.
Too funny and spot on!

Old 02-26-2009, 03:27 PM

56 posts, read 293,911 times
Like I said... I lived in Oklahoma for five years and never saw a single tornado. Of course, the weathermen make every thunderstorm out to be a "WEATHER EMERGENCY" but most folks there know the drill and roll their eyes at all the frenzy. Besides, anytime there is even the remote possibility of a tornado, they start talking about it like two hours in advance.

Also... don't believe the hype about the Deep South, interracial relationships are just as accepted in Oklahoma/Texas as they are anywhere else. Of course, if you live out in the rurual area there's a higher likelihood of encountering the occasional redneck, but you have those everywhere... even in Michigan.

With your career and family situation, I would strongly encourage you to look into Norman, Oklahoma. It's a lovely place to raise a family, and just about the closest thing to 4 perfect seasons that you might find in the South. You will find a good mix of a variety of races (White/Black/Native American/Arab/Indian, etc.) and all varieties of mixed race couples. Low crime. Lotsa parks and the most kid-friendly public library I've ever seen.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSooner View Post
For the entire time I have visited this site in the last two years, OK has always had gas prices cheaper than TX. In fact, OK has usually had the lowest gas prices in all of the U.S.. Don't ask me why! I'm sure there is a logical explanation for it.
I know! Back in the late 90s I was in college and living in Dallas, while my girlfriend was attending OU. Cheap gas was but one of many perks about making the drive up I-35 to see her.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:33 PM

Addendum: I would humbly offer that the tornado "problem" in Oklahoma is far less disruptive that the snows of Michigan winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas