Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 09:29 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
I meant that, after 15 plus years of posting on the web, we only have one vocabulary term for posters.......troll or non-troll.....is that a reflection on how unlike real conversation internet chat is, or just a lack of imagination in defining people?
In real life, you have a plethora of different personality types, and they are what makes group contact what it is.........can't we variegate the type of chatters/posters on here a bit more than one word....irregardless of Websters definition?

For example, in texas horse lady's case, she does look for real estate business on city-data, so is she not trolling for contacts on here, in a different sense? What name would you give someone who comes on here for enjoyment AND business like her, and several other RE agents who regularly frequent these posts?

Networkers? ChatMarketers? Business Trolls? Real estate trolls?

So let's get creative, and see how many other definitions of posters we can place on here. If these posts have negligible connection to the dynamics of real conversation, we prob can come up with nothing...except the old troll/non-troll old reliable.....however, if this DOES approach the complexity of real world conversation, we should be overwhelmed with possible definitions....

My hunch is that this does not approach real life, and troll/non-troll will be the only differentiation ever on the web.....

Sort of like robot or no robot......very sci-fi, when you think of it.....

Note that I don't think any of these things are wrong at all.....looking for business on the internet is what social networking is all about in a way......LinkedIn,
facebook, etc.......anythink that keeps the chat/talk flowing, even with a little business being made inadvertently, is totally fine.......I just mean we have to broaden our way of looking at ourselves in internet conversation........can you imagine if we only used the troll/non-troll moniker to describe people in real life?
That sure would make things a lot simpler........but would only make sense in a population of drones, which is why I thought it had sci-fi resonances....tagged/not tagged....stamped/not stamped.....etc............also, who is to judge "whose" interest in a topic is bonafide? Must one be completely
free of possible business inferences to prove an unalloyed interest in a topic? What about the use of "Moderators" ? Who are THEY to judge what is off/on topic? I can't even post anything at all discussing them without being deleted, yet someone can hang on here for years "trolling" for business, and be considered "on-topic"............
fact....real-life has no moderators........when you see people enjoying a great outside chat at Shady Grove, you don't see referees wandering the tables making sure the talk stays on topic.....mostly, why WOULD anyone who wants the internet to approximate real life chat WANT to stay on-topic? Isn't that what makes real life talk so much fun...never knowing where it can go?............

Honestly, I can get more out of a good three hour group chat at Shady Grove(above), than 3 years of internet postings.........nothing....ever...will replace person to person conversation...........
Who is the Lady on the very right? That dude on the very left looks like a hipsterish Pat Green.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:00 PM

101 posts, read 283,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

It's an award-winning anti-litter campaign, is what it is. Don't mess with Texas means don't throw your trash all over the state.
That's funny, I thought it had to do with your predatory lending laws. They are some of the toughest in the nation, which is part of the reason I think that TX is weathering the economy better than many.

It doesn't matter. I was thinking of relocating there, and I do understand the sentiment regarding outsiders. We had no choice here in southern CA (I am a native, born in Los Angeles and living where it says up there on my lil thingy) regarding the massive influx of people and complete change in culture here. I understand the protectiveness from a personal experience perspective.

Anyway, I'll keep reading and see what else is said lol

Old 03-01-2009, 11:13 PM

101 posts, read 283,552 times
Hmm interesting. Why does everyone assume that all Californians are liberal? Sure its a Democrat state, but still. One of the things that attracted me to TX was that it was conservative. Double hmmmm

Old 03-01-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMelanie View Post
Hmm interesting. Why does everyone assume that all Californians are liberal? Sure its a Democrat state, but still. One of the things that attracted me to TX was that it was conservative. Double hmmmm
It seems California was much better place to live in when the Republicans regularly got elected to office there...Pete Wilson tried hard to keep it that way with Prop 187 and look what happened when some liberal judge tossed it out...the state has gone haywire.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:13 AM

470 posts, read 1,162,869 times
WTF Texas is a great place to live in (I moved from MN), if you keep away from all the little hicksville and redneck towns and stay in or close to the larger metropolitan areas lol.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoodsyall View Post
WTF Texas is a great place to live in (I moved from MN), if you keep away from all the little hicksville and redneck towns and stay in or close to the larger metropolitan areas lol.
Many of us Texans are quite proud of our little "hicksville and redneck towns", you sound like a darn tootin' jerk.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:13 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Many of us Texans are quite proud of our little "hicksville and redneck towns", you sound like a darn tootin' jerk.
Those are the best towns, but I don't consider them hicksville or redneck. I live outside of them. For the other poster, there are many hicks and rednecks, as you say, living in the big cities. They just might be wearing a suit or fancy clothes to disguise themselves.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:18 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMelanie View Post
That's funny, I thought it had to do with your predatory lending laws. They are some of the toughest in the nation, which is part of the reason I think that TX is weathering the economy better than many.

It doesn't matter. I was thinking of relocating there, and I do understand the sentiment regarding outsiders. We had no choice here in southern CA (I am a native, born in Los Angeles and living where it says up there on my lil thingy) regarding the massive influx of people and complete change in culture here. I understand the protectiveness from a personal experience perspective.

Anyway, I'll keep reading and see what else is said lol
The unemployment percentage surely isn't grand in Texas as per the link below. That has to affect the economy.

http://www.bls.gov/web/mstrtcr1.gif

Old 03-02-2009, 06:48 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
For the other poster, there are many hicks and rednecks, as you say, living in the big cities. They just might be wearing a suit or fancy clothes to disguise themselves.
I don't even wear fancy clothes. I'm just a redneck hick who doesn't need a lot of space.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:27 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,095 times
The simple fact is that Texes is large enough and diverse enough that just about everyone can find someplace to love and someplace to hate about it.

That's a good thing, overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas