Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 06:54 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,012,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
I'm sure there's nice places every where in the world. There's good and there's bad about any place. Texas has its good points and its bad points. Just like NYC and Long Island have their good points and bad points. NYC has its nice areas to live, Houston has its nice areas, just about any other place has its nice areas. When somebody talks bad about a place I usually don't give it much creedence. They're talking bad about that place because they had a bad experience there. I could visit there or move there and have just the opposite experience. I have a friend that every place he moves to he complains about it. What this means is it's not the place but it's him. He's the problem and not the place. Benjamin Franklin once said that if you didn't like the last place then you won't like the next place. He also meant it's the individual that's the problem and not the place. Benjamin Franklin was a good man.

By the way, I didn't think you meant anything bad by your comment.

What did Benjamin Franklin say when you liked your 3 last places but not your new place?

Old 08-18-2009, 09:03 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,931,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Texas is an amazing place to raise a family

Not according to a bunch of articles that have done studies on it

Old 08-18-2009, 09:05 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,839,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
...But yet on the General US forum, everyone from Texas says it's the best place to live an raise a family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
So now you're starting to bash us in our own forum? The real intent of this thread was to start discussion, not so snobs like you could bash places they've never been to. The Texans in the General US forum can be annoying, but at least they don't pollute other forums with their ignorance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Texas has its good points and its bad points. Just like NYC and Long Island have their good points and bad points. ...
By the way, I didn't think you meant anything bad by your comment.
If you saw her post history in the US forums, you'd probably understand.

Anyway, I wonder if Rachel or anyone else here bothered to look at the original link... looks like it's someone's blog, and possibly a politically motivated one at that. It also makes mention that many of the unfavorable statistics putting Texas at the bottom are due to the high immigrant population not having health insurance or high education levels, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, this is another somewhat misleading thread that needs to just die...

Quote:
Not according to a bunch of articles that have done studies on it
The articles did studies on it, eh? Interesting. Please tell us of your experience raising a family in Texas. Oh wait, you've hardly set foot in Texas...

Old 08-18-2009, 09:40 AM

989 posts, read 2,498,097 times
Good. Now stop moving here.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:00 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,931,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
If you saw her post history in the US forums, you'd probably understand.

Anyway, I wonder if Rachel or anyone else here bothered to look at the original link... looks like it's someone's blog, and possibly a politically motivated one at that. It also makes mention that many of the unfavorable statistics putting Texas at the bottom are due to the high immigrant population not having health insurance or high education levels, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, this is another somewhat misleading thread that needs to just die...

The articles did studies on it, eh? Interesting. Please tell us of your experience raising a family in Texas. Oh wait, you've hardly set foot in Texas...

My dad was offered a transfer to Houston with a very nice salary, but turned it down. A few friends in his company took up the offer and warned him about moving there; saying it isn't very kid-friendly and the schools are not good at all compared to where we lived.

The 10 Worst Cities to Raise a Family

Old 08-18-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
My dad was offered a transfer to Houston with a very nice salary, but turned it down. A few friends in his company took up the offer and warned him about moving there; saying it isn't very kid-friendly and the schools are not good at all compared to where we lived.

The 10 Worst Cities to Raise a Family

ding dang, Texas made the list twice! You should see how they brag about their schools down here.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:22 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
ding dang, Texas made the list twice! You should see how they brag about their schools down here.
At least our schools taught us to count...there are actually three Texas cities on the list.

However, the criteria ignores the fact that the vast majority of both the DFW and Houston MSAs do not live in the city limits.

Texas' public schools may not be great, but we have some of the best private schools in the nation. We also have the second lowest tax burden. unlike people in California who spend on things they can't pay for.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
At least our schools taught us to count...there are actually three Texas cities on the list.

However, the criteria ignores the fact that the vast majority of both the DFW and Houston MSAs do not live in the city limits.

Texas' public schools may not be great, but we have some of the best private schools in the nation. We also have the second lowest tax burden. unlike people in California who spend on things they can't pay for.
Nobody cares about ft worth.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:43 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
Quote:
Generalize much
There are plenty of people that care about Ft Worth. Just maybe you do not care about it but I'm sure the people that live and work there DO care about it.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:46 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,336 times
Quote:
Hello....you LIVE IN THE FORT WORTH AREA!

YOU ARE NOT FROM DALLAS!

So I would hope YOU care about Ft Worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas