Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 12:42 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I wish people would stop coming to Texas in droves. It's driving up the population and what this state doesn't need is more people to trash it up.
Well to me population increase spells progress and shows that Texas isn't the big empty waste cowtown of a state like everyone else in the U.S. thinks.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:53 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Well to me population increase spells progress and shows that Texas isn't the big empty waste cowtown of a state like everyone else in the U.S. thinks.
Not that I ever cared that much about what the country at large thinks - I'd rather not preoccupy myself with the stereotypes held by ignorant people - but being that we're in a recession I'd just as soon the unemployed people stay unemployed wherever they are. Enough people are here looking for work here as it is. Which is why I'm not exactly rolling out the red carpet for the huddled masses on the Internet, making things look like this is the land of milk and honey. There are bigger things than image and trying to overtake California as the country's most populous state.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:46 PM

492 posts, read 961,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Right now, re-enforcing that stereotype is the best advertising going. Now, where can I get some Beer for My Horses ?

Old 02-25-2009, 03:09 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
The overall reaction to this thread is interesting to an outsider who peruses many other states threads just to get a feel of what is going on there and its residents views of things. You are all quickly glancing up to my info to note I am an evil and commie loving Californian and I expect to be immediately attacked here but where does this "thou shall never speak badly of Texas" come from? I'll go ahead and say it just to get fury going. Some of you really have a chip on your shoulder.
It seems you certainly have every right to be boastful and proud of your state, from its strong independent spirit and history to an economy that is holding up better than many, dynamic cities and beautiful natural resources from the hill country to the plains, but its not perfect. I mean, I love many aspects of my home and chosen state (lone star eyes roll here) but there are slices of it that are just as bad as many of you would ascribe to the whole state- just as there are areas and aspects of your state that are just as bad as many of us outsiders perhaps unfairly ascribe to the whole of it as well.
Some of those statistics of the OP, outdated and perhaps questionable as they may be, would certainly seem to warrant an examination to how the state got to where its at and how one might improve upon it. There are some things not to be too proud of there, "Don't mess with Texas!" and all. I keep reading it is all the fault of the outsiders, immigrants and those who don't immediately praise "the glory that is Texas". If anyone dares to points out any faults in your state they need to immediately move on. Is it part of the school curriculum down there or just indoctrinated by passed down generation by generation? Yeah, I'm exaggerating a bit but come on, lighten up.
In this economy there are aspects that are extremely challenging to the large states, California is on the brink and we are all nervous about the future here. Just because I love my little slice of heaven that I have been lucky to find and create here would never mean that I wouldn't acknowledge the challenges and negatives of my city and state that might be improved upon.
Let the wacko, outsider California bashing begin.

Cheers Y'all

Last edited by T. Damon; 02-25-2009 at 03:22 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 03:29 PM

808 posts, read 3,646,717 times
T. Damon,

Texans welcome all outsiders. That being said, it gets absolutely ridiculous when the outsiders come from another place and then try to change Texas into the place they came from, and bash it when they can't.

Imagine a situation in which 10 million Texans moved to California and then said that California sucked because it doesn't have Whataburger or H-E-B, it has a state income tax, etc. etc. etc. Then the Texans changed the state to more closely resemble Texas, but nevertheless, could not be totally happy because it wasn't Texas.

Reverse the situation and that is what is going on here.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:36 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
"Don't Mess With Texas" seems to be deliberately misunderstood by some folks who aren't from here (and other folks who aren't from here giggle at those who misunderstand it, because they get it right off the bat).

It's an award-winning anti-litter campaign, is what it is. Don't mess with Texas means don't throw your trash all over the state.

I can see how that might get some folks' dander up, though. The very idea of telling folks not to litter!

And what awecelot said.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:29 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
T. Damon,

Texans welcome all outsiders. That being said, it gets absolutely ridiculous when the outsiders come from another place and then try to change Texas into the place they came from, and bash it when they can't.

Imagine a situation in which 10 million Texans moved to California and then said that California sucked because it doesn't have Whataburger or H-E-B, it has a state income tax, etc. etc. etc. Then the Texans changed the state to more closely resemble Texas, but nevertheless, could not be totally happy because it wasn't Texas.

Reverse the situation and that is what is going on here.
You don't have to tell us Californians how challenging it is to have so many "outsiders" come in and impact everything from a neighborhood community to the state's political direction with their own ideas. We are certainly the most diverse state in the union and its not all pretty.
That is, however, pretty much a given as a fact of life to a state that is popular. Some aspects will drive you crazy and some will make you smile at the colorful cultural life that outsiders may bring in and make a place better.
I guess that is why there are forums like this for us to rant a bit and get some of the frustrations of life off our chests and I'm not taking the rants too seriously here- I have a sense of humor and appreciation for a clever quip even if it leans snarky.
And I'm not getting my panties in a bunch over the "Don't Mess with Texas" I knew its history and was just incorporating it as a part of my overall exaggerated outsiders view of the culture of your state.
I come from good farming stock in Nebraska so I might be a California city boy now but have a deep appreciation for the rural and traditional aspects of your state even as I might shake my head in wonder at some of its extremes-just as you should at some of us left coasters.
I hope your strong spirit helps you overcome what are challenges for us all today.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:08 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
Don't worry T.Damon, we can use more people like you.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:38 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
It's very simple. Draw a line from 10 miles north of Laredo across to ten miles north of Corpus. Now take that part out of the statistics and we are top ten in everything. Areas such as the Valley and Laredo are a whole different world. These areas skew the numbers. Contributing to the poverty of these areas is Austin's policy of ignoring issues south of I-10. Politicians from the border region are very corrupt and living off of handouts is almost encouraged. There is no state in America that is in this situation.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:41 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,105 times
Don't feel bad y'all, the rest of the South is being changed for the worse as well. Virginia, Georgia and the Carolinas are going the fastest and it's a cryin damn shame. I'm wanting to move to Texas so I guess that makes me a transplant but at least I would fit in to the Texas culture and not try to change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas