Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2007, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 10,557 times

Advertisements

Please help me! I'm applying for Teach for America and I have to choose my assignment preferences in two days. Please help me decide how to rank my choices.

Here's what I'm considering in making my decision:

I want to live somewhere exciting and new; I have travelled in a few different countries, but have never really been west of the Mississippi. I'm excited about something different, but also don't want to feel culturally isolated like I did when I lived in another country.

I'd be making about the same amount of money no matter where I choose to teach, but I know the cost of living varies.

Does RGV make you feel isolated? How about Phoenix? All being in the middle of the desert ...

People make Houston and Phoenix sound like crime is rampant ... is that true?

I live in a laid back college town ... I want a similar laid back attitude with a little bit more to do.

I want to live somewhere that I can afford to get a small one bedroom house with a fenced in backyard for my dogs. I'm also concerned about how the heat will affect my pups.

I'm kind of a medium sized city girl, so I'm afraid RGV would bore me and Phoenix and Houston would overwhelm me.

Is Houston really racist? I mean, I'm white, but it irritates me listening to racist people.

I speak decent Spanish but am looking to improve: but I'm sure there would be opportunities in any of these cities to learn Spanish.

I want to help educate poor minorities, so please don't repsond 'there are lots of poor minorities here' because that's the basis of my decision.

Ugh! I have no idea which to choose! I want to live somewhere beautiful and sunny with nice people. Please advise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 08:37 AM

62 posts, read 458,889 times
I have spent a lot of time in all 3 places you listed, so perhaps can shed some light on your options:

"Exciting and New" Well, then the Rio Grande Valley is clearly NOT for you. Go back at least 20 years and you'll have an idea where the valley is technoligically, environmentally, and health care wise. The only culture is a mix of Mexican and Tex-mex culture, which can be interesting at times, but nothing to write home about.

If you're considering the heat, for your dogs, you might have to re-apply for a different assignment; all three regions are VERY hot a good portion of the year.

Both Phoenix and Houston have their share of crime, but what big city doesn't? The same goes for racist people. I haven't experienced crime or racism first hand in either place, so that may be a toss up....And I'll throw traffic in here too; both cities have terrible traffic...but what big city doesn't?

For finding 'culture' Houston, though it is huge, does have it's share of smaller neighborhoods, and at an even smaller scale, many cool clubs/restaurants/museums, or whatever you're in to, and plenty of other amenities to do. It's a huge city, and there's always something to do. Phoenix has always seemed to be a little lacking to me in this aspect. It's such 'new' city, there isn't any history, that in many older cities, helps to develop a unique culture for that city, and it seems to really lack any kind of a vibe downtown.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:14 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Houston would be my vote. It is definitely different than east of the Mississippi. RGV is just not terribly exciting to me as a 'tourist' destination (although I know that is not what you are doing, it is somewhat comparable). You will feel isolated, unless you have a family to provide some interaction with other families.

I don't really know much about Phoenix other than geography and weather, but Houston is in a much better location geographically for culture than Phoenix, although Phoenix is located better if you plan to travel any in the southwest. Weather is a trade off - hot and damn humid, or dry and damn hot.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:30 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
I agree with previous post, choose Houston. Phoenix may get too hot for your pups. At least Houston has some cloud cover and lower temps. RGV is kind of backwards and not too exciting.
You just want to make sure to choose the right neighborhood for you. Ask around in the Houston forum.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:08 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
as much as i hate big cities, the OBVIOUS choice is Houston. Phoenix is not in Texas so i would not go there. RGV-forget it.......see all the other threads about it here and you will know why

Old 03-22-2007, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 10,557 times
Default hmmm decisions, decisions

i suppose you're all right. i do hate big cities though. i'm almost hoping i don't get the job and then i'll apply for other internships in san antonio and austin (still cities but seem a bit more my style). yeah, i think the excitement of living close to the mexico border would wear off in under a month, and i'm just not sure i want to expose my lovely pups to the phoenix heat (but it does look beautiful!)

Old 03-23-2007, 01:00 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,096 times
I do not live in Phoenix, but I have lived in Arizona for almost 20 years and I have been to Phoenix plenty of times. I am presently trying to get out of Arizona as the cost of living is getting rediculous and I am sick of the heat (I don't care how DRY it is, hot is HOT when it is 125+ degrees). There are a lot of nights that to do not drop below 90 degrees.
I really cannot tell you much about either of the 2 Texas areas you spoke of, however, IMO any place in Texas would be better than Phoenix...lol (although I am sure there are plenty out there that would disagree). Personally, I would try for something around Austin or San Antonio just by what you're looking for.
I am looking at East Texas around Tyler or possibly suburbs of Dallas.
Good luck to ya!

Old 04-05-2007, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 8,548 times
Houston is the 2nd most polluted city in US and the 4th largest art community.It is culturally rich and a plethera great cafes and reasonable to cheap prices..If these things appeal to you buy my house in the Montrose Museum area..I am ready to leave this air..It is not worth the risk to my health..On a beautiful day we are under an ozone alert 90% of the time..If it weren't for that I might stay.
It is not a very pretty city and the frwys are a major congestion..So live close to work and pleasure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas