Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2006, 12:11 PM

23 posts, read 70,797 times

Advertisements

What is the weather like? Is it a normal 4 seasons, meaning, does it get cold and snow? Are there any bad areas in Arlington? I have been looking at tons of homes for sale online, and they have been so beautiful, that I am hoping Arlington is a nice, family oriented, place to live!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2006, 09:23 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
The 4 seasons thing is a joke, right?

Here in this part of Texas it is either Winter (without much snow) or Summer. Although this week has been AWESOME!!! Our Winter is not enough to even warrent having a BIG HEAVY coat. I hate wearing coats and this year got by w/ cardigan sweaters (over tanks, lol). If you park your car in a garage you probably won't even need a coat for running in and out of places real quick. A jacket will suffice most of the time. We do have a few spells of chilly weather but if it gets down below freezing for 3 days in a row, that is RARE!!! As for snow, it may snow 1-3 days a year but it melts w/ the sunshine, freezes over at night and turns to ice. yippie.... Schools will close if we get too much ice or if the power/gas companies ask them to. Some school districts and large companies have contracts that if we are going to have a "long" spell (2-3 days) of very cold weather that they will shut down to help conserve to keep peoples homes heated. The school districts also take into account the roads that their buses have to travel on, some have small backroads or bridges over lakes and that can make a huge difference.

Are there any bad areas in Arlington? Yes. There are "bad" areas in EVERY suburb and city. Depends on what you view as "bad". Arlington is a large city between Dallas and Ft. Worth. They are the home to Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor, Texas Rangers, Dallas Cowboys (real soon, construction under way now that they finally got all the people moved out of their way for the Jerry Jones Memorial Stadium , General Motors, The University of Texas at Arlington and Arlington Baptist College. So with all of that you are going to have "bad" areas. My husband went to UTA and lived there and worked at one of the grocery stores (late shift a lot) and can tell you about the customers they had. Good and bad. A recent investigation just unveiled something called "fight clubs" and they videotape these fights amoung teens (huge crowds beating up one person or a group of people) and most of it happened in Arlington. While Arlington does have some pretty areas w/ nice homes and rolling terrain w/ trees they also have a huge transient population because of the area being home to two colleges and everything else. Arlington borders Grand Prarie on one side. As my husband told a friend the other day while at the Ranger game, all of the "clubs" (ones for gentlemen) are located in Grand Prarie but right on the city line w/ Arlington. So these were some of the customers he got to see at 2 & 3 in the morning while working at the grocery store. This store was and still is THE LARGEST and busiest dollarwise in the entire area because it is surrounded by 1000's of apartments. They could run a full checkout at anytime of day or night. Back then (mid 80's) most of the plants/companies that are in Arlington were running 3 shifts and you had that many workers out at those hours. Now it is more like 2 shifts some may be just 1.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:29 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Oh, I assume you have children that are school age. Several years ago the state passed a law that a parent can move their child out of a low performing school to another in the district. I guess Arlington has a lot because it has only been Arlington that they show on the news with parents that camp out for an entire week in the ISD parking lot waiting for "opening day" to transfer their kids out of the school they are in. It was pretty recent so you could probably check the archives of the Dallas Morning News online or wfaa (try the "links" below. The moderator removes websites so I will not use any periods and put a space between the word and com or org). As far as the school ranking system, I am not a big fan of the TAKS tests that are administered and do not feel that those should be the sole basis for rating a school.

Try these:
Dallas Morning News: dallasnews com
Wfaa: wfaa com

Old 07-05-2006, 09:50 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,319 times
Momof2dfw is right about alot of things in Arlington. It has a more younger populations due to the college and having six flags and all the attractions right there. My husband and I attended UTA as well. We lived on 360 north of Arlington off of Trinity Blvd in an apartment. I have a friend who just moved to Mansfield and loves it from Florida. She has 3 small children and told me she really likes the area and has been pleases with her neighbors and the schools. Mansfield is south of Arlington, not far at all. I would stay away from Central Arlington area, that tends to be the most undesirable area to live over there. There are some nice neighborhoods that are west and some south of the The Parks Mall that are nice and over in North Arlington off of Collins, the Green Oaks and Brown area that have nice homes. I would agree that Arlington is the most transient out of all the places to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas