Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2009, 08:48 AM

3 posts, read 10,936 times

Advertisements

I am possibly relocating to the Del Rio, TX area if offered a position at Laughlin AFB. I will be moving down there alone while my wife finishes school, so I was wondering if there are any apartments or anyone looking for a roommate for about six months or so. If not, could anyone suggest apartments for rent in a decent area of town. I am not real familiar with the Del Rio area, so I want to avoid the bad parts of town. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,580 times
I have the same question, no listings for apartments via computer? What gives? I was told there are units available so why no search info on the computer?

Old 08-30-2010, 04:23 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times
M Fett, call the base housing at Laughlin, they probably have a bulletin board up of people looking for roommates or can steer you in the right direction.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:55 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
I'm about the only regular poster here who knows anything about Del Rio. My husband grew up in Del Rio,and my in-laws still live there. DH and I visit a couple of times a year.

Here's the Del Rio News-Herald's website: Del Rio News Herald You might try looking in there for rooms for rent and rental properties. I will be honest that there are only a few apartments in Del Rio, and most of them are not very nice. You would do far better to rent a small house and just stay there when your wife arrives. DO NOT live in the "San Felipe" area of town, which is the rough part.

If you've never lived near the border, be preapred for a culture shock...

Old 08-31-2010, 12:08 AM

26 posts, read 50,856 times
I was born and raised in Del Rio, and my parents still live there, so I visit occasionally.

There are several parts of town you won't want to be around, but at first glance you'll just KNOW what I'm talking about. As for apartments, several of them have sprung up since I left. There's a new complex called Stonegate apartments. Nearby there's an elementary school, a few churches, and a decently sized park with a track, basketball court, shaded picnic area, and IIRC a tennis court. There's also a pool, but trust me, you'll want to use the one on base.

Since Stonegate is probably the only new complex in town, it's become really popular among other people stationed at LAFB. However, it's quite a drive from there to the base, especially with all the school traffic during the week. Del Rio's small, but even so, plan for a 30-minute commute to be on the safe side. Also, rent might not be as cheap as you'll find at other apartments, but living in Del Rio is really inexpensive as it is.

I'm sure you could find a roommate either through the base or maybe posting on Craigslist. There's also Gateway Apartments just across from the base, but I'm not sure whether it's mostly military or not. You could get in touch with a realtor to see if anyone has their house up for rent, also.

Have you considered living on base? Growing up I had a couple of friends who lived on base - they seemed to have pretty nice homes (the ones I went to were duplexes, and they should have some 1-bedroom ones for singles).

Hope that some of this helps. Laughlin's a great base - and for a border town, I've never felt unsafe in Del Rio like I do in other border cities.

Any other questions just ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: