Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:09 PM

Location: Shepherdsville and Frankfort, Kentucky, soon to be somewhere in TEXAS!
23 posts, read 153,712 times

Advertisements

I've been to 19 states plus DC (my most extensive traveling has been throughout the South,) and while it shames me to say this, Kentucky can only be put to shame. Until the age of 15-16, all I wanted to do was stay here in KY, and that my home would always be here. Now that I've traveled some, I've found that there are other places where the people are much friendlier and more personable, the culture fits my personality more, and the weather is better.

I love many Southern states, but have an affinity and love for TEXAS that has not wore off at all since six years ago when I visited. What a beautiful and clean place! Friendly and polite folks everywhere, great weather (mostly), distinctive and tasty cuisine, diversity in landscapes, and beautiful women (most of whom aren't so stuck up.) These characteristics are not even in abundance in Kentucky. Frankly put, I hate Kentucky and I love TEXAS!

Although, I'm having a hard time deciding between Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth, and Houston (that is the preference of the cities I'm looking at in order, though, from top to bottom.) Dallas and Plano I'm a little unsure about. I would like to further my education down there--graduate school--as out-of-state tuition is now cheaper than in-state tuition at Kentucky schools.

Thanks, ya'll, and I look forward to becoming a citizen of a place where "Everything's Bigger!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 10:21 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,667,075 times
Hello stuckinkentucky,

Based on your age and your academic goal, I would recommend Austin (check the sub-forum for more info). Once you get married and have children, then I would recommend San Antonio.

Good Luck!

Old 03-26-2007, 11:05 PM

Location: Shepherdsville and Frankfort, Kentucky, soon to be somewhere in TEXAS!
By the way, I'm not closed off to other areas of the state with decent job markets and educational opportunities (i.e. Tyler, Nacogdoches, Abilene, Lubbock, Laredo, College Station, etc.)

Old 03-27-2007, 10:27 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
I love the enthusiasm, but I would like to temper it just a teensy-weensy bit, just so you don't find out you got into something you didn't realize.

Quote:
What a beautiful and clean place!
I have no idea what KY is like (other than some experience in Louisville), but not everywhere is 'clean'. The don't mess with Texas slogan is part of a litter clean up campaign from years ago, and the state was in desperate need of a clean-up. In rural areas (and some more urban) there is still the 'dumping' mentality. Around El Paso is probably the worst area that I have seen for that, but you see it everywhere...I saw some just outside of Fredericksburg.

Quote:
Friendly and polite folks everywhere
Yes, the southern culture is generally friendly and usually polite, but you can find the rudest, most obnoxious people here, same as anywhere....many Texans move in from out of state, and many 'natives' do not necessarily live up to the 'Friendly State' motto.

Quote:
great weather (mostly)
But it does get HOT...not that KY doesn't , but just not for as long and oppressive as it can here....of course, some people (like me) don't really mind the heat a whit.

Quote:
distinctive and tasty cuisine
I suppose so, but I suspect I would find other places also distintive and tasty...Tex-Mex can get old after a while (or so I have heard ).

Quote:
diversity in landscapes
Yep, but you may have to drive just as far here as you would in KY to get the diversity in landscape...it can be a loooong drive to the coast or out to the mountains...

Quote:
and beautiful women (most of whom aren't so stuck up.)
Well, now, I am sure 'most' aren't stuck-up, but don't think there aren't those that are...plus, I went to southern Indiana to find my wife, just north of Louisville Ky, so I would say there are some cute ones up there .

Now, in reallity, I am agreeing that you might love the area..I would highly recommend Austin for someone of your age looking for additional education. And whether you come here or not, I highly recommend relocating while you can, just to experience other places in depth...I often wish I had gone out to college on the East or West coast, just to see for myself .

Old 03-27-2007, 02:51 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,265,341 times
Smile Where to live

I would recommend Lubbock or Plano. Both are friendly, conservative cities with access to many amenities, good medical care and low crime rates.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:27 PM

15 posts, read 88,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinkentucky View Post
I've been to 19 states plus DC (my most extensive traveling has been throughout the South,) and while it shames me to say this, Kentucky can only be put to shame. Until the age of 15-16, all I wanted to do was stay here in KY, and that my home would always be here. Now that I've traveled some, I've found that there are other places where the people are much friendlier and more personable, the culture fits my personality more, and the weather is better.

I love many Southern states, but have an affinity and love for TEXAS that has not wore off at all since six years ago when I visited. What a beautiful and clean place! Friendly and polite folks everywhere, great weather (mostly), distinctive and tasty cuisine, diversity in landscapes, and beautiful women (most of whom aren't so stuck up.) These characteristics are not even in abundance in Kentucky. Frankly put, I hate Kentucky and I love TEXAS!

Although, I'm having a hard time deciding between Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth, and Houston (that is the preference of the cities I'm looking at in order, though, from top to bottom.) Dallas and Plano I'm a little unsure about. I would like to further my education down there--graduate school--as out-of-state tuition is now cheaper than in-state tuition at Kentucky schools.

Thanks, ya'll, and I look forward to becoming a citizen of a place where "Everything's Bigger!"
You appear to have excellent taste.

Friendly and responsible transplants always welcome.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:12 AM
jse

10 posts, read 30,220 times
Default Ky Born and Raised

Much of the Texas appeal revolves around the fact that in reality Texas is multiple states, not one. You will have to be much more specific in your search. Houston is Louisiana; Dallas is Oklahoma; El Paso is New Mexico; Austin is Nashville; San Antonio is Matamoros with an Anglo twist, etc.
There is minimal dialect change until you get about 100 miles east of El Paso, so you will get a Ky feel culturally "speaking." However, San Antonio, El Paso, and the Valley are predominantly Mexican and that will bring a new set of considerations.

If geography is a concern, say good bye to spring and fall as you know it in Ky. Most of Texas will appear anemic over time and you will lust for green when you go back east. Climate is humidity plus in the summer in all areas but El Paso and other deserty areas like Lubbock and Amarillo, both to lesser degree of dryness than El Paso. If you like vistas, you will only get panoramic ones west of Ft. Worth.

Jobs: Don't go too far west in Texas. Center around Dallas, Houston, Austin, or smaller cities/towns that you have researched. Otherwise, bring Spanish language skills, if you plan on working with the public. Also, plan on making less money in many locales.

I have found Texans friendly to the same degree as Kentuckians, but am considering moving back to be closer to family and friends having lived in El Paso for many years. My only concern is trading a blue sky for a green one and my daily sunshine for foggy drizzle. Both states may be southern, but you will be entering another world. Ky is bordered by Ohio, Ind., Ill. and WVa to the north and that makes a diff; Tx is bordered by Mexico on the south and that does, too, but to a lesser extent because of Texas' size. Both states, like every other part of the U.S., try to hold on to the legendary identity that's associated with each.

You might consider profound reasons like love, profession, a future, etc. instead of looking for a social watershed.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:47 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,378,461 times
jse perfectly said-you described the larger cities perfectly.
i think mr kentucky should visit Lubbock and Austin and San Antonio an Ft Worth...those are some good places to start

Old 03-31-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jse View Post
Much of the Texas appeal revolves around the fact that in reality Texas is multiple states, not one. You will have to be much more specific in your search. Houston is Louisiana; Dallas is Oklahoma; El Paso is New Mexico; Austin is Nashville; San Antonio is Matamoros with an Anglo twist, etc.
There is minimal dialect change until you get about 100 miles east of El Paso, so you will get a Ky feel culturally "speaking." However, San Antonio, El Paso, and the Valley are predominantly Mexican and that will bring a new set of considerations.

If geography is a concern, say good bye to spring and fall as you know it in Ky. Most of Texas will appear anemic over time and you will lust for green when you go back east. Climate is humidity plus in the summer in all areas but El Paso and other deserty areas like Lubbock and Amarillo, both to lesser degree of dryness than El Paso. If you like vistas, you will only get panoramic ones west of Ft. Worth.

Jobs: Don't go too far west in Texas. Center around Dallas, Houston, Austin, or smaller cities/towns that you have researched. Otherwise, bring Spanish language skills, if you plan on working with the public. Also, plan on making less money in many locales.

I have found Texans friendly to the same degree as Kentuckians, but am considering moving back to be closer to family and friends having lived in El Paso for many years. My only concern is trading a blue sky for a green one and my daily sunshine for foggy drizzle. Both states may be southern, but you will be entering another world. Ky is bordered by Ohio, Ind., Ill. and WVa to the north and that makes a diff; Tx is bordered by Mexico on the south and that does, too, but to a lesser extent because of Texas' size. Both states, like every other part of the U.S., try to hold on to the legendary identity that's associated with each.

You might consider profound reasons like love, profession, a future, etc. instead of looking for a social watershed.

Hope this helps.
Where in Kentucky are you from, originally?

I'm in Frankfort now, but have lived in Shepherdsville (high school), Owensboro (birthplace), Hardinsburg, and Russellville, also. The ONLY thing I like about Kentucky is the green scenery during the spring and summer, and that's it. Indiana has flat land to very gently rolling hills in the south, providing more of an open air feeling; Tennessee has that welcome-everybody Southern charm about it. Texas combines both of those elements, but is also like eight states in one geographically and culturally speaking (you're right.) I'm ready for a change, and (w/o trying to be rude) I think I can relate to Texan culture and people (Western heritage with Southern charm and hospitality) better than I can with Kentucky.

I will miss the green scenery, but that's it. Even most of my KY family has moved to the South, so I won't have much incentive to return. BUT, depending on where in Texas I live, I can find nice, green scenery in the areas along and east of I-35, anyway. Not all the land down there is hilly, but prairie lands have their own beauty, too. I want to be a TEXAN!

Last edited by stuckinkentucky; 03-31-2007 at 02:09 PM..

Old 03-31-2007, 07:06 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,241,582 times
Stuck, if you're looking for green scenery you're in luck as a San Antonio forum poster recently made this thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...n-antonio.html

Make sure to click on page two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas