Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 11:59 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,306 times

Advertisements

And if Heimdall's claim is true.

Texans are almost always comparing their state to California.

You are basing your posts off experience at a college in Texas
I am basing mine off the large numbers of forums about this comparison

So, how could you possibly say I'm wrong.

I am not saying your wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 12:09 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Hold up

This forum is about " why texans hate California"
Yeah? Then why the hell are you comparing in the first place if thats what the thread is about?

Quote:
No one is trying to boost California. It's a simple defense
Fair enough, I'll just take your word for it that you were not trying to boost it.

Quote:
New York City. Ha. Be that as it may, we are not talking about whic city is better than another city, especially a city outside the topic.

New York overall, vs California overall
"when you compare, there is not comparison
I simply used that as a metaphorical example you're not picking up on it.

Quote:
Dwarf? Are you serious?
Don't let a recession fool you.

California's economy is the largest in the United States. And If it were to be an individual country, it would be the 7 largest in the world. Thus, Texas is beat by a mile
Yes I am being serious. You may not know this but Texas has the 11th largest in the world if it were a country. So you're like 4 spots higher for now, but your GDP's growth rate is 10.2%, and ours is 21.7% and by the end of this decade it will have surpassed California's. Our unemployment rate is far better, our GDP growth rate is nearly double yours, we're creating jobs and not losing any. So yes, our economy does dwarf yours, in fact 79% of the jobs created in USA from 2000-2009 were created in Texas.

As for the economy, come on, you can do better than that. The reason negative net migration is occurring in your largest cities is because your economy sucks right now, unemployment is high, foreclosures, and things like that.
So you trying to paint your state as a utopia is just blind. But to be fair, Texas has major issues of its own, theres the hacksaw nut job governor and all the negative publicity he's brought here.

Quote:
I've missed nothing, I'm basking in the ambiance, since Danny fell victim to the same vortex. It is obvious your falling right behind

Think about what I am saying.

This forum is "Why Texans hate California"
I said, Why texans compare their state to California.

It's predicated: True, because we see so on forums.
But since its predicated: False , because you claim actual texans you see do not compare the two states.
First of all, how the hell would you know what people in real life here say on a day to day basis? You live in Oakland right?

And if you're judging what people do based off this site, then I'm sorry but you're entire point has little scientific or generic truth behind it. I'll admit it on this site there are SO MANY people that compare Texas to California. Trust me, you're not alone, I see it a lot on this site too. But do you remember the thread last week in the City vs City forum? Texas vs California that had that troll? He lives in California... it goes both ways, people always do comparisons thats what this site is about.

But yeah in real life people don't, and yeah I'm actually the one living here in Houston area and Austin area, so I WOULD KNOW more than you about it. Yeah I go to school in Texas but I also live in another city too. You're basing it off an internet web forum, this is the SAME site where people from New York think that their city is the revolution and pinnacle of the world. You really want to take the judgement of 1.5 million CD users over 310 million REAL everyday Americans? That will look foolish on your part, not mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I know a californian that hates Texas and he only drove through once when he was 17 with his parents on their way to Florida ( he is now 50). I hate Texas, but I have to admit it kind of bothered me that he would always trash Texas and pity me because I lived there at the time. He always used to brag about the weather he was having and going to the ocean etc....
Lol yeah, I hate the political mess this state has socially. When we first moved here from Chicago, I hated it here too, but its alright now, its pretty cool.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 4,016 times
I think its cause we drive crazy, are rude and think were better than everyone. I went to Washington state and everyone hates me there also. Im planning on moving to Tx next month so I hope that goes good!

Old 09-24-2010, 02:05 PM

423 posts, read 824,038 times
Quote:
And if Heimdall's claim is true.

Texans are almost always comparing their state to California.
My claim is more of a "Texans on City Data forums compare their state to California more often then Californians do."

True or not, I don't know, it's just a personal observation, something I've witnessed many times on Texas, California, and General U.S. boards.

But I definitely wouldn't use any of this information if I was writing a research paper titled "Texans-Californians Relations" because extrapolating posts from message boards to a real life is just... wrong for many reasons. On one hand, the anonymity on the Internet allows people to express their true feelings and say things they never would have said in real life to another person, that is of course if they are expressing their true feelings. This forum just like all the others is not immune to trolls, and many times Texas or California bashing is done by people who don't even live in these states but know that it's a very "flammable" topic so they just stir s*** up for the lulz. Sometimes it can be very obvious sometimes more disguised.

Just like Awesome Danny I have never seen Texans and Californians in real life getting into each others faces over which state has better GDP rate, more Fortune companies, or more sports teams. If I ever heard any complaints from Californians about Texas it was usually about the weather or lack of beautiful scenery or any other trivial things that don't come as a surprise to Texans. I don't really know what Texans in California complain about, as the only person I know living there is my ex with whom I don't really keep in touch. When I lived there I actually loved it and hated when we had to move again.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:13 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,188 times
The only thing my Texas friends in California seem to complain about is how expensive everything is and how bad state services are there (not that ours are so great either).

Old 09-24-2010, 03:17 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,713 times
Texas pride vs California pride. I think the Californians are the more irritating of the two. At least texans can give you 193938575756 reasons why they are proud. A california will brag about the ocean, weather and in and outs. Just saying...

Old 09-24-2010, 06:30 PM

Wow Awesome Danny. You speak with a belligerent tone.

Swing and a miss. Seriously!

Predicate

Listen here, when did I ever say I know what people in Texas say.
Understand this!

"why texans compare their state to California"

Me: its True, forums tell the story
You: its False, people in everyday life don't do it

It's true or false based on the variables. Do you understand my point now.

Metaphoric examples? Here's one

When you bring a gun to a gun fight. You plan on using it.

I didn't compare, I said it was incomparable. Which is my opinion, I'm entitled to it. Then you mistakenly used a metaphoric example to do what? To compare. Sparking a flame. Not the best way to neutralize two parties.

It's not very likely that anyone is trying to do you harm, yet you could easily jump to a conclusion and misunderstand what was said. Your eagerness to take immediate action could cause you to accidentally twist what you hear to support your intended actions. If you are uncertain about someone's message, ask for clarification before you land yourself in trouble.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:58 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Wow Awesome Danny. You speak with a belligerent tone.

Swing and a miss. Seriously!

Predicate

Listen here, when did I ever say I know what people in Texas say.
Understand this!

"why texans compare their state to California"

Me: its True, forums tell the story
You: its False, people in everyday life don't do it
No it wasn't me that misunderstood what you said this is what you said.

Quote:
California rules
Here's a better question. Why does every Texan compare their state to California?

California is incomparable
Your very first post in this thread you said "every Texan" you never specified on this forum or real life. Then furthermore you went on to your next post to say according to Heimdall's post Texans must do it in real life, when in reality he meant only on these boards. You mixed up what you said, which mixed up what I said which led up to this. So pretty much its both of our faults. I can give you a list of real life Texans who haven't along with their phone numbers so you can verify if they've ever even dreamed of California in the last who knows how long. But yeah, thats only for extreme measures if you still decide to think "every Texan compares their state to California". Otherwise its just meant in a joking manner, haha.

Quote:
Metaphoric examples? Here's one

When you bring a gun to a gun fight. You plan on using it.
Not really. You can either plan on using it or you can bank on just having the security of having it. Either one.

Quote:
I didn't compare, I said it was incomparable. Which is my opinion, I'm entitled to it. Then you mistakenly used a metaphoric example to do what? To compare. Sparking a flame. Not the best way to neutralize two parties.
Not really. You did say its incomparable, but you said it in the same way in which it was meant to translate to "California is by far the best state, nothing comes close" when in reality there are truly many aspects of California that are comparable, and many other states along with Texas can pass California up on quite a bit of those same aspects.

Not its really not the best way to neutralize two parties coming into a thread and claiming every Texan compares Texas to California without stating more specifically that SOME Texans on THIS SITE compare it to California.

Then you're trying to put the miscommunication blame on me, for which we are both equally at fault. Nice try Stephen! Nice try.

Quote:
It's not very likely that anyone is trying to do you harm, yet you could easily jump to a conclusion and misunderstand what was said. Your eagerness to take immediate action could cause you to accidentally twist what you hear to support your intended actions. If you are uncertain about someone's message, ask for clarification before you land yourself in trouble.
I could say the same about you, in fact I could also say instead of having this "California is the best" attitude that you're rocking, to actually hear others out first. Actually, you could have been more clear to your motives also but you weren't. You just came off like you knew for a fact that everyone here does something and you tried to keep playing on it as if it were a fact based off miscommunication from me, you and several other posters here. Its okay, I think we all got a bit confused here.

I suggest we end this here, clearly we're both at fault for some miscommunication that just dragged on this useless thread. I'm done here, and no lol my tone in the last post wasn't meant to be as serious as it sounded. In fact unless you're a Bostonian or Philadelphian, I probably don't use a serious tone with you otherwise. Haha so thats another thing that needed to be cleared up.

Ciao!

Last edited by DANNYY; 09-24-2010 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: Grammatically needed corrections.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:58 AM

Hold up Danny! Let me say this.

I do appreciate your shared the blame equally.

However I have to be clear, I'm not saying that all 25 million people living in Texas is always comparing their state to CA.

The question I asked was based on the fact; in these forums, texans are comparing their state to CA

There's no way I would know what texans compare in their everyday life. That's why the question was formed based on the texans who make these forums.

I also said it was predicated. Meaning the statement can be true or false depending on the variables.

I mentioned a predicate because of "what I said above"

So in this case, it was true based on the forums. However, simultaneously, it was false based on actual Texan experience.

And you right? I should of added the "site" to my question, making it, "why do texans on this site always create forums comparing..etc" but hey, you jumped to an immediate conclusion thinking I was referring to actual everyday texans.

So like you said, That's why we share the blame. Lol

Old 09-25-2010, 06:35 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I think CA and TX are so very different that there isn't much point in comparing them. One can only say which one he prefers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas