Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 10:42 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,783,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
This attitude is pretty much whats wrong with this country.

So its ok to hate a whole state because they arent like you?
It's not so much that--as War Beagle said, it's when the very liberal blue states try to cram their agenda (and they DO have one or more) down our throats.

Many of them hate US because we have different ideas; they're determined to change us, because <heavy sarcasm on>they know what's best for us.</heavy sarcasm off>.

I'm willing to give individuals the benefit of the doubt, and be live-and-let-live...until some of them start their crap! I've had wonderful liberal friends who respected our differences (and I did likewise), and didn't try to change me.

I've had others (acquaintances, not friends) who were DETERMINED that I was going to subscribe to their liberal agenda--watch out, because I will fight back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 01:39 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,721,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Not according to this.

Interactive: State High School Graduation Rates by Race, Ethnicity - NationalJournal.com

Texas's Hispanic graduation rate is 82%. California's is 70%. While Texas leads, the disparity you're alluding to is worse than these data indicate.

My source is here. This is a common method used by the U.S. Department of Education for all states.

Texas Education Agency - Texas graduation rates top the charts

Quote:
The USDE data for the Class of 2011 shows Texas:
  • Number 1 with Asian students with a graduation rate of 95 percent.
  • Number 1 for white students with a graduation rate of 92 percent.
  • Number 1 by tying with Montana with a graduation rate of 81 percent for African-American students.
  • Has the third highest graduation rate for all students, tying with Tennessee, New Hampshire, Indiana, Nebraska and North Dakota with a rate of 86 percent. Iowa, Vermont and Wisconsin exceed Texas by one to two percentage points.
  • Number 2 for Hispanic students with a graduation rate of 82 percent, behind only Maine.
  • Number 2 for children with disabilities who graduate at a rate of 77 percent. Only South Dakota had a higher rate.
  • In a tie for second place with Missouri for multi-racial students who have a graduation rate of 92 percent, with only Delaware students graduating at a higher rate.
  • In a tie for second place with New Jersey with an American-Indian graduate rate of 87 percent. Only Tennessee has a higher rate.
  • Number 2 for economically-disadvantaged students who graduate at a rate of 84 percent, behind only South Dakota.
  • Number 26 for limited English proficient students who have a graduation rate of 58 percent. Those who become proficient in English are removed from the limited English proficient category.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:31 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,086,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
My source is here. This is a common method used by the U.S. Department of Education for all states.

Texas Education Agency - Texas graduation rates top the charts
IIRC, wasn't there quite a bit of controversy with this methodology due to the fact that it's easy for schools to cheat by labeling a dropout as a transfer?

Jason Stanford: How Rick Perry Solved the Dropout Problem by Making Galveston Disappear

Report Showing Texas Graduation Rates Among the Nation’s Highest Is Raising Eyebrows With Education Advocates | HOUMANITARIAN.net

Old 05-30-2013, 06:38 PM

681 posts, read 1,662,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
You just haven't seen it, but there are Californians that do the same thing on the Texas forums.

Obviously, not all Texans hate Californians. Insomuch as some do, there are legitimate reasons for this dislike. It mostly comes from the fact that Californians (but really blue-staters in general) are constantly trying to ram their progressive "culture" and ideals down the throats of states located between the two coasts. The last thing most of us want is to be Californicated, and we resent attempts to do so.

It's not really a California thing though. I have gotten to the point that I pretty much view blue states as foreign countries. Blue states are overall much more of a threat to my way of life than a country like Iran or North Korea will ever be. Iran and NK are never going to affect my life directly, but idiot Senators and Presidents from blue states try their best to change my lifestyle on a daily basis.
I have to agree with this.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:05 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,509,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
It's not so much that--as War Beagle said, it's when the very liberal blue states try to cram their agenda (and they DO have one or more) down our throats.

Many of them hate US because we have different ideas; they're determined to change us, because <heavy sarcasm on>they know what's best for us.</heavy sarcasm off>.

I'm willing to give individuals the benefit of the doubt, and be live-and-let-live...until some of them start their crap! I've had wonderful liberal friends who respected our differences (and I did likewise), and didn't try to change me.

I've had others (acquaintances, not friends) who were DETERMINED that I was going to subscribe to their liberal agenda--watch out, because I will fight back.
Well said and ditto and ditto, sister Cathy!

Isn't it strange (although maybe it really shouldn't be), how those so quick to accuse others of "hate" or "intolerance" or whatever, are usually the most hostile and hateful and intolerant of all.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:14 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,938,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

Isn't it strange (although maybe it really shouldn't be), how those so quick to accuse others of "hate" or "intolerance" or whatever, are usually the most hostile and hateful and intolerant of all.
I've never voted Republican a day in my life. But I have to say it really irritates me when so-called liberals do that, too.

Mainly because I hate uninformed ignorance of any type. Conservative or Liberal.

Last edited by UTHORNS96; 05-31-2013 at 01:31 PM..

Old 05-31-2013, 01:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,783,081 times
Quote:

Thanks, TR.....

Yep, it seems to often work that way, doesn't it?

Old 05-31-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
You just haven't seen it, but there are Californians that do the same thing on the Texas forums.

Obviously, not all Texans hate Californians. Insomuch as some do, there are legitimate reasons for this dislike. It mostly comes from the fact that Californians (but really blue-staters in general) are constantly trying to ram their progressive "culture" and ideals down the throats of states located between the two coasts. The last thing most of us want is to be Californicated, and we resent attempts to do so.

It's not really a California thing though. I have gotten to the point that I pretty much view blue states as foreign countries. Blue states are overall much more of a threat to my way of life than a country like Iran or North Korea will ever be. Iran and NK are never going to affect my life directly, but idiot Senators and Presidents from blue states try their best to change my lifestyle on a daily basis.
Very well put, WB, and I agree for sure. Because I am a proud American, on some levels it really bothers me to say that. That is, that I am more and more becoming convinced that -- as you summarize -- the biggest threat to the United States that most of us know and love and grew up in -- does not come from foreign nations who hate us, but from domestic (legal and illegal) who essentially despise their own country in the sense of that their ideological outlook is counter to what America was founded on and what made us (at least at one time), the greatest, freest, wealthiest, country in the world has even seen. Our poor would be rich by most world living standards...

In any event, it is their (blue state) policies that are destroying this nation. The irony is that so many who advance these destructive policies can no longer find jobs in the states they originally attempted to turn into a utopia -- yet obviously failed miserably -- and flee to red states like Texas which provide the milk and honey they poisoned within their own.

*afterthought* Another little paradox of my own, come to think of it? I always stopped short of calling myself a modern-day secessionist. But the more I think about it? I am -- in at least one realm -- totally retreating from that position!

In other words, I wish the Blue States would secede! Then we in real America can re-claim our country....our Constitution, our true natural diversity, our traditions, our basic beliefs.....

Old 05-31-2013, 01:49 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,938,292 times
Quote:
Very well put, WB, and I agree for sure. Because I am a proud American, on some levels it really bothers me to say that. That is, that I am more and more becoming convinced that -- as you summarize -- the biggest threat to the United States that most of us know and love and grew up in -- does not come from foreign nations who hate us, but from domestic (legal and illegal) who essentially despise their own country in the sense of that their ideological outlook is counter to what America was founded on and what made us (at least at one time), the greatest, freest, wealthiest, country in the world has even seen. Our poor would be rich by most world living standards...

In any event, it is their (blue state) policies that are destroying this nation. The irony is that so many who advance these destructive policies can no longer find jobs in the states they originally attempted to turn into a utopia -- yet obviously failed miserably -- and flee to red states like Texas which provide the milk and honey they poisoned within their own.

*afterthought* Another little paradox of my own, come to think of it? I always stopped short of calling myself a modern-day secessionist. But the more I think about it? I am -- in at least one realm -- totally retreating from that position!

In other words, I wish the Blue States would secede! Then we in real America can re-claim our country....our Constitution, our true natural diversity, our traditions, our basic beliefs.....
Now come on, Reb. I didn't think you the type to get all caught up in this red state/blue state silliness. There's a ridiculous amount of ignorance on both sides and being on one side doesn't make you any more a "real American" than being on another side. People in general need to learn to think for themselves instead of falling into all these talking points and emotional propaganda.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
This attitude is pretty much whats wrong with this country.
But the attitude of those type who dominate the blue states in terms of policies (social or economic) are paragons of tolerance and virtue, right? LOL They aren't fleeing to the red states because their own are both socially and economically going south (no pun intended! BWHAHAHAHA), and they need to find a job...but because they feel a righteous mission to save us from our own redneck selves.

Quote:
So its ok to hate a whole state because they arent like you?
Look in the mirror.

Is it ok to hate another state/region because we don't give a damn how you did it up/out there, and are not particularly impressed with "your" credentials to lecture/instruct us?

Your post is predicated upon the intolerant insistence that anyone "hates" a whole state at all. Whoever said anybody hated California at all? On the contrary this has been repeatedly explained and articulated in a way that the accusers seem incapable of countering. That is, no one "hates" California (or any other blue state per se), but resent very much the attitude of many who move here and find eternal fault and attempt to turn it back into the very same cluster-F___ (pardon, ladies! _) they were responsible for creating to begin with...then ran like hell from when the consequences became too much to ignore.

BUT? Yes, I admit the little rhetorical "scam" of accusing others of "hate" or "intolerance" or "xenophobia" or whatever the heck, does work to some degree. But such is becoming less and less credible. More and more and recognizing it for what it is: A rhetorical roadblock designed to put rational replies at bay and feel morally superior and good about themselves.

The most intolerant and biased people I ever met are those who piously blow their tubas about how much they will not tolerate it! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas