Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:34 PM

808 posts, read 3,646,717 times

Advertisements

TXNGL - have you been to the bottling plant in Dublin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 06:39 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
TXNGL - have you been to the bottling plant in Dublin?
Nope. Used to be we would head down to SA from Dallas via 281 rather than 35, and once you got to around Glen Rose or Hico...somewhere around there...you could pick up Dublin Dr. Pepper, so we'd load up. Now you can find it (and Mexican Coke) all over Dallas. We tend to avoid corn syrup drinks in our household and really, nothing tastes like a Dublin Dr. Pepper. The canned corn syrup stuff just isn't the same.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
You'd be surprised how easy it is to acclimatize yourself to hot weather. I moved from Michigan to Texas in August, and the first year, it seemed pretty hot. After that, I hardly ever noticed it. I've lived in some very hot parts of the world, like Indonesia, Jordan and Central America, and never saw any AC in any of those places. You get used to it---you really do.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:56 PM

705 posts, read 1,758,834 times
You do get used to it, but it is never pleasant. To the OP - you can do all the things outside that you do there, but you need to adjust to the heat. I am a recreational cyclist, and have ridden through Texas summers in East Texas, Central Texas and now Dallas. BUT the years where my schedule doesn't allow me enough time to ride 1-2x/week throughout May and June, I cannot get out and do a mid-day ride in July/August/September. Once you miss the weeks to build up your system, it is really hard to get adjusted.

Now all that said, to just go out in regular clothes and do something - regular activities like walking kids to/from school? - UG! I hate it! I hate sweating, and you have to change clothes 3x/day to stay dry. Take the walking kids to school example - in August, when school starts, I walk them to school at 7:30, come home, shower, change clothes. Then at 2:45 I repeat the procedure. I am sopping wet after that walk, and it isn't till October that it gets better. This is in DFW area, I can't even imagine what it would be like in Houston - I'd probably give up and take a car. And yep, I'm a native Texan who grew up in Houston. That is what they invented pools and air conditioning for - and I DO keep my ac cool, thank you very much! And until you have ridden 20-40 miles in East Texas hills in July at 2pm when it is 104 degrees, don't you dare call me a wimp!!!!!!

Old 04-05-2009, 06:58 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
I'm a native Texan and I've never gotten used to the heat in Houston.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:02 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I used to coach little league baseball in Kansas, and every summer there was at least one stretch when it was about 105-108 every day for a week or so.. We'd have practice, and get out on the field, and nobody would notice that it was hot.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:20 PM

492 posts, read 961,747 times
In the early '90s I read an article, I guess in the Chron, about what Houstonians did in the days before high rise buildings, before HVAC. Before air conditioned tunnels downtown. Remember, white shirts, coat and tie were normal dress of the day. Well, for men.

Already in a sweat by time you get to work in your no AC car. Climbing stairs or crowding in a no AC elevator. Open windows during the day. Taking care of nature. Smoking.

And these are the people who set up Houston to become the metro it is today.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:39 PM

2,960 posts, read 3,528,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladoSam View Post
In the early '90s I read an article, I guess in the Chron, about what Houstonians did in the days before high rise buildings, before HVAC. Before air conditioned tunnels downtown. Remember, white shirts, coat and tie were normal dress of the day. Well, for men.

Already in a sweat by time you get to work in your no AC car. Climbing stairs or crowding in a no AC elevator. Open windows during the day. Taking care of nature. Smoking.

And these are the people who set up Houston to become the metro it is today.
okay, if Houston is such a bad place as some people on this board make it out to be, then why are there so many people moving to that city?

Old 04-05-2009, 07:43 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
okay, if Houston is such a bad place as some people on this board make it out to be, then why are there so many people moving to that city?
Obviously, not for comfortable weather.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:04 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Housing is cheap, gas is cheaper than most places, no state income tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Obviously, not for comfortable weather.
Ain't that the truth!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas