Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there any Deaf people who may be interested in attending a Deaf Church in West Texas?
Yes, I am Deaf & I definitely will attend. 0 0%
Yes, I know someone who is deaf wants to attend a church. 0 0%
Yes, I am a hearing person, I think there should be one. 0 0%
No, it is too large an area to find the Deaf people. 0 0%
No. Not a good idea. 0 0%
No. Let the larger church take care of them. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 04:21 PM

20 posts, read 86,854 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am interested in finding out if there is a deaf church in West Texas. My husband is capable of preaching to the deaf, he uses American Sign Language, as well as I. We are deaf, but loves the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is firstmost part of our lives, and we are interested to know if there is a deaf church, mind you I didn't say deaf ministry, which means it incorporate into hearing church. We are currently attending a deaf church in Kansas City Metro, in which my husband is a Bible teacher and I am a co-coordinator for women's retreat along with several other women. If anyone could help us, we appreciate your feedback.
Thanks! Hadassah59
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 06:37 AM

364 posts, read 1,420,808 times
Let me see if I understand - you presently are members of a church that only has deaf/hearing impaired members?

Hmmm, I lived in San Angelo for five years and never heard of a deaf church in any city. You will probably have to look in a metro area where there are enough deaf people to form a congregation. Most of the churches have "signers" for the few hearing impaired attendees that come.

Good luck with your search.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:12 AM

Default Deaf Church in Remote West Texas is needed, isn't it?

I would like to know if there are plenty of deaf and hearing impaired people who live in the area of Seminole, Midland, Odessa, and Hobbs, NM who may be interested in attending a deaf church with a true Bible teaching. If you know of one, let me know! Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadassah59 View Post
Hi! I am interested in finding out if there is a deaf church in West Texas. My husband is capable of preaching to the deaf, he uses American Sign Language, as well as I. We are deaf, but loves the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is firstmost part of our lives, and we are interested to know if there is a deaf church, mind you I didn't say deaf ministry, which means it incorporate into hearing church. We are currently attending a deaf church in Kansas City Metro, in which my husband is a Bible teacher and I am a co-coordinator for women's retreat along with several other women. If anyone could help us, we appreciate your feedback.
Thanks! Hadassah59

Old 03-31-2007, 11:57 PM

485 posts, read 1,648,382 times
I wish you luck in your search. I fear you may have difficulty finding what you are looking for. As a native Texan for 30+ years, I have never heard of a church with the majority of its members being hearing impaired. Every church I've visited has had sign language translators. My current church doesn't have this, as we have not yet had the need for a translator. I will however pray for your success in the search. There may be a congregation in our great state for you. If there is, I think God will lead you to it.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:13 PM

I am glad of your honest input. My husband and I attend the deaf church which is mainly deaf-run church, of which we are charter members. If you are interested what our church is about, look up the website: www.deaflibertybaptist.org
it is a very simple website, but you get the idea.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:40 AM

284 posts, read 1,681,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadassah59 View Post
I would like to know if there are plenty of deaf and hearing impaired people who live in the area of Seminole, Midland, Odessa, and Hobbs, NM who may be interested in attending a deaf church with a true Bible teaching. If you know of one, let me know! Thanks.
That is an awfully big area -- lots of driving. I had never heard of anything in the area like this, so I googled deaf support groups and deaf schools. Odessa seems to be the hub of deaf education, etc., so you might try contacting people in that area. The Ector County school system provides the services, so you may not be able to get info from them. However, they had links on their website, and I think they could at least direct you to a support group that could help you more. Just Google "Ector County Deaf Education."

Old 04-07-2007, 01:33 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,736 times
I live in Andrews (between Odessa and Seminole) and have never heard of one. Perhaps it is time to start one.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Deaf church in Northern Texas

I have inquired about deaf community in the west Texas and everyone who answered helped some. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be one there. Now, I would like to know is: are there any deaf church or ministry in the panhandle of Texas? I would appreciate your response.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:28 PM

I agree. I would need to find out if deaf community is interested in a church for the deaf. Thank you!

Old 04-08-2007, 05:10 PM

284 posts, read 1,681,604 times
I know there are large churches that have deaf ministries and people to sign during services, etc. Miss Deaf Texas was in a parade in Lubbock according to Deafnetwork.com, so I'm thinking perhaps there is an active deaf community there who brought her in for the parade. You might try checking with the colleges and universities in the area, too. The education departments could probably give you some insight into area groups. Start with Texas Tech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas