Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:34 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

That does seem like a stupid law. If you can get proof of rx, I don't see what the problem is.

And why the heck would someone being caught with these not just say, "Oh, those are tylenol/etc"? That's not prescription, and there's no way of telling right off the bat the difference between a generic tylenol pill and a hydrocodone pill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 917 times
Look guys (and gals) I've been a cop for 25 years. We're not out to bust Grandma for carrying around her heart medication. This law applies to narcotics and dangerous drugs only. Give us a little credit. 95% of cops have at least a little more than average common sense. We have Grandmothers and mothers who do carry their prescriptions too. We're out to bust the pill pushers that are carrying bags or unmarked prescription bottles of NARCOTICS. We're not generally looking at elderly or sickly people, but the usual street punks who are generally healthy and would probably not be in need of 80 hydrocodone pills in a baggie hidden under the dashboard etc... You would be amazed at the stories we get told of why they are in possession of THEIR narcotic prescriptions hidden in a box under the spare tire etc. Without valid prescription bottles, we don't know what the pills are or, 2). know how much they should have in their possession at a time. ** It is NOT uncommon for a pill pusher to have prescriptions from 3 or 4 doctors, sell 3 prescriptions, and keep one for themselves. Once again common sense should be used by all parties involved in each circumstance.

Last edited by K9Guy52; 02-06-2013 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 02-06-2013, 09:39 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I see an easy out of avoiding this one. Don't give consent to a search. They must have reasonable cause to search ones person or vehicle anyway so just say, "no". And then add, "I'd like to speak w/ an attorney, please" if they get nasty.
It doesn't matter why you are pulled over or if you have prescription drugs or anything else that is contraband or not. Every attorney worth his or her salt tells people to refuse vehicle searches without warrants. There is no good that can come from a cop rooting around a vehicle. It's not like he or she is going to find a winning lotto ticket in there that you didn't know about.

As for the topic, I understand the reason for the law. Maybe a good compromise would be to keep the bottle itself nearby or to take a picture of the bottle and the pills and keep it on a smartphone.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:44 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,745,747 times
I have heard of the doctor shopper law and the pill mill law, but I have not heard of the law the OP cites. Can they provide a link?

Here is some background on the doctor shopper law.

Texas Medical Board News: DPS: One bottle of hydrocodone pills worth $18,000

Quote:
The Department of Public Safety estimates one bottle of hydrocodone pills is worth $18,000.
WOW!!!

Old 02-05-2014, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 771 times
We have way too many drug problems in TX to change the laws or look the other way. Just keep your stuff in their original containers, no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas