Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

You know those little plastic daily-planner pill containers that you can buy at the drug store, to remember when to take your pills? They are illegal outside your home in Texas. It is a felony offense in Texas to transport prescription drugs not in their original container. There have been arrests and prosecutions. In one case, a woman from Nebraska had to pay bail, and come back to Texas for trial, and was acquitted only after her trial attorney entered her doctor's prescription into evidence.

My wife is a heart patient, and could die in 24 hours without about 15 different pills. In Texas, if she goes to the mall, she has to carry $1,000 worth of drugs with her in a suitcase, to avoid either risking her life or being sent to prison.

There are probably other states where the law is worded essentially the same way, but in a search of the internet, Texas is the only state I can find where there have actually been arrests and prosecutions for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 08:45 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Is this for all prescription drugs or just those that are DEA controlled?

I can't imaging getting busted for having Crestor in a generic container!

Old 04-10-2009, 08:59 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Dang. I better not get stopped and searched. I see an easy out of avoiding this one. Don't give consent to a search. They must have reasonable cause to search ones person or vehicle anyway so just say, "no". And then add, "I'd like to speak w/ an attorney, please" if they get nasty. Then again, don't be doing anything illegal to draw attention to ones self and it probably will never happen.

My inlaws carry those little things around for meds. I even have one that has three small pill bottles in it for travel that I use. Mostly for tylenol and such so we don't have to deal w/ the HUGE bottles. I carry one small bottle in my purse that has a varied mix of things: Benedryl (important this time of year), Tylenol, Excedrin, Advil. A few of each and that is it.

For someone that is on a lot of prescription meds. Instead of carrying around full bottles of ALL of them here is what I'd do if you don't even want to risk the search from the police: keep a bottle of each med w/ the label on it. Put only a few of each in the proper bottle and be done w/ it. Leave the full bottles at home this way if your purse is snatched or whatever then your only out 1 or 2 days supply. You can probably ask the pharmacist for smaller bottles to keep such in w/ labels on them. I'd think a policeman that has an ounce of common sense would have enough sense to realize that some people are legit and not out dealing prescription drugs if they do see someone w/ one of those daily pill containers.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:36 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Where have they been arrested? Small towns? I doubt the larger cities have a problem with this. I've certainly never heard of any problems here at least.

BTW - automotive hygeine is a must. A rolling trash can will be searched more often than a clean ride.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You know those little plastic daily-planner pill containers that you can buy at the drug store, to remember when to take your pills? They are illegal outside your home in Texas. It is a felony offense in Texas to transport prescription drugs not in their original container. There have been arrests and prosecutions. In one case, a woman from Nebraska had to pay bail, and come back to Texas for trial, and was acquitted only after her trial attorney entered her doctor's prescription into evidence.

My wife is a heart patient, and could die in 24 hours without about 15 different pills. In Texas, if she goes to the mall, she has to carry $1,000 worth of drugs with her in a suitcase, to avoid either risking her life or being sent to prison.

There are probably other states where the law is worded essentially the same way, but in a search of the internet, Texas is the only state I can find where there have actually been arrests and prosecutions for it.
[i] for one am not terribly worried about this...I will continue to carry my perscription drugs in and out of Texas..

Nita

Old 07-07-2009, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 15,451 times
Default re:

Hi jtur88!!
It is sad as some patients need to carry a lot of drugs in accordance with their doctor prescription.Your wife too deserves to carry a lot of drugs ,and in my opinion it must be made legal to carry so much drugs for the needy persons.
Otherwise who would be responsible for any mis-happenings,The governments will not be considered responsible??
I think it should be legalized!!
---------------

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 07-08-2009 at 07:53 AM..

Old 07-07-2009, 11:12 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
I think this is probably one of those things where if the cop doesn't like your looks or attitude, he/she can use it against you. If you don't draw attention to yourself and you're not a smartass when you get stopped, it's less likely to happen. Just keep a low profile (I try to do that anyway where the police are concerned).

Old 07-07-2009, 11:25 PM

162 posts, read 633,133 times
It's not just a Texas thing.
Traveling with medicine?

Old 07-08-2009, 11:57 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,488,666 times
The logic behind this is that cops aren't pharmacists and can't look at a pill and immediately know what it is. Drug abusers could supposedly be illegally carrying narcotics that aren't prescribed to them and cops would never know if they're in an unmarked container. The "duh" moment comes into play when even half-wits realize these drug abusers could be putting their illegal narcotics into legal prescription bottles. It's simply the case of another ill-devised law that needlessly limits our rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I'd think a policeman that has an ounce of common sense would have enough sense to realize that some people are legit and not out dealing prescription drugs if they do see someone w/ one of those daily pill containers.
You're giving an awful lot of credit where credit isn't due.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 13,162 times
My wife was arrested,spent a day in jail, even had a letter on her from her doctor showing her prescriptions that the cop didn't even want to look at, posted $4000.00 bail and goes to trial tomorrow.( SAN ANTONIO, TX)
Just another way to suck up money..... they r still back woods, no logic,stuck in the mud rednecks!

The Bail Bondsman stated that senior's get hit the most..also tourist....... THIS LAW NEEDS TO BE CHANGED>>> HOW DO WE DO IT?

Last edited by useruser; 03-24-2010 at 10:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas