Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 06:26 AM

366 posts, read 1,441,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karm View Post
wow so Houston way in the lead! so are there similarly likely more Khmer in Houston than Dallas?

im so excited already. gotta visit again soon and make a move!! keep it coming, thanks so much!
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 09:42 AM

370 posts, read 862,701 times
Sorry i posted the VN in the US. Here are some stats on Cambodians in the US and its slightly different than the Vietnamese.

Cambodian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like here Dallas has more than Houston. The Khmer population is the US looks like its 1/5 of the total VN poplulation in the US.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:50 AM

687 posts, read 2,127,745 times
There are some Cambodians in Houston, but not a lot. A former queen of cambodia does live in Houston though Houston - News - Cambodian Queen.

There is a small Cambodian community about 45 minutes south of Houston, in Rosharon, doing organic farming. But they come to Houston for Asian foods, supplies, fun and excitement :-)

Houston beats Dallas in terms of great Asian food and friendly people.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:35 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
The new solar powered parking meters in downtown Houston offers it in Vietnamese also. I haven't been to Dallas in a while, but from my experience, Houston has definitely more Vietnamese. The Garland area has quite a Vietnamese community as well as Arlington.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:14 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
Houston by a long shot, my wife is Khmer and she was shocked to see how big the Southeast Asia population is compared to most big cities we've visited. Houston climate is very similar to Southeast Asia according to my inlaws.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:36 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
hi i am exploring where in USA to relocate to, having lived all my life so far (30 yrs) in New York City and am now selling my house and moving on, somewhere warmer, more spacious, and rich with southeast asian culture!

ideally would like to stay on the EAST coast, but my options are limited cuz it doesn't seem (at first glance) there are any substantial se asian communities on east coast south of Philly.

where in TX has the most southeast asian especially khmer/cambodians? any recommendations as to specifically where like what town or suburb of those cities would be greatly appreciated, ... thanks!
Dallas (D/FW) has more Korean, Laos, Thai, & Cambodian

Houston has more Viets, Chinese, Filipino, & East Indians

Both cities have fast growing Asian populations so you can't go wrong in either place.

Most Khmer in Dallas are typically found in Old East Dallas, Garland, or Carrollton.

The Cambodian population in Houston tends to reside on the far northside of town between Greenspoint & Spring close to the near by Buddhist Temple. Another area with a large percentage of Cambodians are in the small towns of Manvel & Rosharon, Tx. just south of Houston. They're predominately farming communities which grow hard to find fruits & vegetables to sell to the local Asian markets.

Dallas has a slightly larger & more pronounce Cambodian community, we're talking maybe 1000 more Khmer people in Dallas Vs. Houston.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 04-16-2009 at 07:55 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 12:59 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
hi i am exploring where in USA to relocate to, having lived all my life so far (30 yrs) in New York City and am now selling my house and moving on, somewhere warmer, more spacious, and rich with southeast asian culture!

ideally would like to stay on the EAST coast, but my options are limited cuz it doesn't seem (at first glance) there are any substantial se asian communities on east coast south of Philly.

where in TX has the most southeast asian especially khmer/cambodians? any recommendations as to specifically where like what town or suburb of those cities would be greatly appreciated, ... thanks!
The Khmer/Cambodian, Thai, and Laotian populations are larger in the Dallas/Fort Worth area than they are in Houston. If your interest is to be able to find ties to those communities, then Dallas is definately your place.

If your interest is more to find ties witin a Vietnamese community, Houston is definately the way.

My wife is Thai and are going through the same thing that you are. We are planning a move to Texas to be closer to my mother who moved out there. The choices were Dallas and Houston. She wants to be able to have ties to a Thai community in either city.

After much resarch, Dallas was the clear winner. They have a nice Thai Community Center, several Thai Temples and Churches, and a larger Thai Community.

The same is going to go for you if you are Cambodian. Dallas is your place.

If you were Vietnamese or Chinese, I would tell you to move to Houston in a heartbeat.

In reading alot of posts on here, it seems like everyone wants to group all Asians together. Since Houston has a larger Asian population, that seems to be where everyone points if you want ties to an Asian community. But it depends on which Asian community. Some are stronger in Dallas, some are stronger in Houston.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:12 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
The Khmer/Cambodian, Thai, and Laotian populations are larger in the Dallas/Fort Worth area than they are in Houston. If your interest is to be able to find ties to those communities, then Dallas is definately your place.

If your interest is more to find ties witin a Vietnamese community, Houston is definately the way.

My wife is Thai and are going through the same thing that you are. We are planning a move to Texas to be closer to my mother who moved out there. The choices were Dallas and Houston. She wants to be able to have ties to a Thai community in either city.

After much resarch, Dallas was the clear winner. They have a nice Thai Community Center, several Thai Temples and Churches, and a larger Thai Community.

The same is going to go for you if you are Cambodian. Dallas is your place.

If you were Vietnamese or Chinese, I would tell you to move to Houston in a heartbeat.

In reading alot of posts on here, it seems like everyone wants to group all Asians together. Since Houston has a larger Asian population, that seems to be where everyone points if you want ties to an Asian community. But it depends on which Asian community. Some are stronger in Dallas, some are stronger in Houston.
You basically repeated the same thing I just said albeit with less informative information.

The only real significant difference in Asian population is within the Laotion & Thai communities, D/FW has a much greater representation than Houston. I've personally been to the Laos New Year festival in Houston at a Thai temple so I know it exists. As far as the Cambodian community goes, the numbers aren't all that much different when you factor in a lot of the Khmer in Houston are mixed with Vietnamese or Chinese ancestry which causes the numbers to be misleading IMO, not to mention these population figures are 9 years old.

Hmong Studies Internet Resource Center

TOP 50 METROPOLITAN AREAS BY CAMBODIAN POPULATION

U.S. Census 2000

Compiled by Mark E. Pfeifer, PhD

1. Los Angeles--Riverside--Orange County, CA CMSA; California - 36233

2. Boston--Worcester--Lawrence, MA--NH--ME--CT CMSA; Massachusetts - 17301

3. Seattle--Tacoma--Bremerton, WA CMSA; Washington - 12391

4. San Francisco--Oakland--San Jose, CA CMSA; California - 10552

5. Stockton--Lodi, CA MSA; California - 9313

6. Philadelphia--Wilmington--Atlantic City, PA--NJ--DE--MD CMSA; Pennsylvania - 7790

7. Providence--Fall River--Warwick, RI--MA MSA; Rhode Island - 6330

8. Washington--Baltimore, DC--MD--VA--WV CMSA; Virginia - 4555

9. San Diego, CA MSA; California - 4314

10. Fresno, CA MSA; California - 4178

11. Minneapolis--St. Paul, MN--WI MSA; Minnesota - 4149

12. New York--Northern New Jersey--Long Island, NY--NJ--CT--PA CMSA; New York - 4060

13. Dallas--Fort Worth, TX CMSA; Texas - 3310

14. Modesto, CA MSA; California - 2959

15. Chicago--Gary--Kenosha, IL--IN--WI CMSA; Illinois - 2764

16. Atlanta, GA MSA; Georgia - 2727

17. Houston--Galveston--Brazoria, TX CMSA; Texas - 2648

18. Portland--Salem, OR--WA CMSA; Oregon - 2360

19. Columbus, OH MSA; Ohio - 1464

20. Sacramento--Yolo, CA CMSA; California - 1336

21. Richmond--Petersburg, VA MSA; Virginia - 1331

22. Denver--Boulder--Greeley, CO CMSA; Colorado - 1270

23. Greensboro--Winston-Salem--High Point, NC MSA; North Carolina - 1115

24. Phoenix--Mesa, AZ MSA; Arizona - 1026

25. Salt Lake City--Ogden, UT MSA; Utah - 1011

26. Rochester, MN MSA; Minnesota - 973

27. Grand Rapids--Muskegon--Holland, MI MSA; Michigan - 880

28. Charlotte--Gastonia--Rock Hill, NC--SC MSA; North Carolina - 789

29. Tampa--St. Petersburg--Clearwater, FL MSA; Florida - 682

30. Portland, ME MSA; Maine - 661

31. Bakersfield, CA MSA; California - 569

32. Wichita, KS MSA; Kansas - 543

33. Cincinnati--Hamilton, OH--KY--IN CMSA; Ohio - 528

34. Cleveland--Akron, OH CMSA; Ohio - 525

35. Memphis, TN--AR--MS MSA; Tennessee - 515

36. Hartford, CT MSA; Connecticut - 513

37. Greenville--Spartanburg--Anderson, SC MSA; South Carolina - 439

38. Mobile, AL MSA; Alabama - 429

39. Nashville, TN MSA; Tennessee - 427

40. Las Vegas, NV--AZ MSA; Nevada - 418

41. Lancaster, PA MSA; Pennsylvania - 408

42. Harrisburg--Lebanon--Carlisle, PA MSA; Pennsylvania - 399

43. Rochester, NY MSA; New York - 392

44. Madison, WI MSA; Wisconsin - 376

45. Des Moines, IA MSA; Iowa - 358

45. Norfolk--Virginia Beach--Newport News, VA--NC MSA; Virginia - 358

46. Austin--San Marcos, TX MSA; Texas - 356

47. Kansas City, MO--KS MSA; Missouri - 336

48. Detroit--Ann Arbor--Flint, MI CMSA; Michigan - 302

49. Columbia, MO MSA; Missouri - 260

50. Honolulu, HI MSA; Hawaii - 206

Old 04-20-2009, 05:02 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You basically repeated the same thing I just said albeit with less informative information.

The only real significant difference in Asian population is within the Laotion & Thai communities, D/FW has a much greater representation than Houston. I've personally been to the Laos New Year festival in Houston at a Thai temple so I know it exists. As far as the Cambodian community goes, the numbers aren't all that much different when you factor in a lot of the Khmer in Houston are mixed with Vietnamese or Chinese ancestry which causes the numbers to be misleading IMO, not to mention these population figures are 9 years old.

Hmong Studies Internet Resource Center

Oh Moderator cut: no need to get personal, how could I have been so vauge!

I was just talking about things my wife and I encountered while deciding which city to move to in Texas.

She is Thai and wants to be able to have access to a stronger Thai community. We found that DFW had more to offer than Houston did. Thats all I was saying.

Thats not to say that there is no representation of the Thai community in Houston, there is. But just like DFW has a very large Vietnamese community, its just not as big as Houstons.

In Fact as of 2000, the largest Vietnamese communities were as follows:

Los Angeles-Riverside-Orange County CA CMSA - 233,573 people
San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, CA CMSA - 146,613
Houston-Galveston-Brazoria, TX CMSA - 63,924
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX CMSA - 47,090
Washington D.C./VA/MD/WV PMSA - 43,709
Seattle-Tacoma-Bremerton CMSA - 40,001

So as you can see although Houston definately has the larger Vietnamese community, DFW still has the 4th largest in the county. Just like it, there is representation in both Dallas and Houston for almost all Asian groups.

Last edited by houstoner; 04-20-2009 at 05:47 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 05:08 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
My Wife and I looked at both, Houston seems to have more for Khmer, Just going on what we seen with our own eyes. JMHO

BTW Wife is Cambodian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas