U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 10:06 AM
tlw tlw started this thread

77 posts, read 373,950 times

Advertisements

Could someone please tell me about firearm laws in Texas?
Anything needed to simply own one? How bout transporting it or buying ammunition?
These laws can really vary from state to state.
Thanks for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 10:18 AM

2,209 posts, read 6,657,355 times
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis.../chlsindex.htm

Old 04-01-2007, 01:04 PM
tlw tlw started this thread

77 posts, read 373,950 times
Default Thanks

Thank you for the link for the concealed info. Is there nothing required for owning firearms if you are not concealing? Where I am at you have to have a FOID card.................firearm owner's identification card which has to go through the state police. You can't own, purchase, or even get ammo without it. Thanks again.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:15 PM

2,209 posts, read 6,657,355 times
I don't know anything about ammunition, but no permit or license is required to own a firearm in Texas. Hope that helps. Believe me, that's all I know about the subject.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:00 PM

14,874 posts, read 38,732,765 times
If you do not have a concealed license you can not just walk into a gun store and buy a gun and leave w/ it. You will have to go thru a waiting period and during that time (3 days I believe) a background check will be conducted. Your information is gathered and sent in to all of the required state and federal agencies. Only upon approval will you then be able to leave the store w/ a gun. As for purchasing ammo, no wait period. To obtain a concealed license you have to take a course. If the instructor feels that any person in their class should not be allowed to carry they will not give you a certificate of completion and they will turn your name into the state. So our gun laws are not as relaxed as some believe.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:41 PM

90 posts, read 443,417 times
Bought a handgun 10 years ago had to waitaybe 3 days. Bought another one 5 years ago had to wait 3 hours. Just long enough for a "background check". Transporting is only from the store to your house. Or from your house to the gun range. etc, you get the point. You can not just carry it in your car. While transporting the weapon and ammo must be stored unloaded and not in reach. i.e. in the trunk. Concealed carry permit license nullifies these restrictions, but needs renewal. I am not sure that a Permit nullifies the "background check" I think that goes either way. New law as of Sept 1st Texans now have the right to defend their vehicle and place of business from attackers.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:03 AM

14,874 posts, read 38,732,765 times
If you have a concealed license you do not have the 3 day wait period. Then it is just the short wait while they confirm everything.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:27 PM

714 posts, read 2,658,085 times
I bought a handgun before Christmas, filled out a bunch of paperwork, and they called a number for the National Instant Check System. I walked out with the gun the same day, after about a 10 minute wait.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:19 PM

130 posts, read 823,178 times
The new state laws gives a person the right to defend his automobile,home, or business with lethal force without threat of a civil suit. Bout time the state passed a good law!!!

Old 04-03-2007, 04:52 PM

1,719 posts, read 6,293,035 times
Im happy about that law where you can have the gun in your car. At least thats what I understand. Before I think you had to have it locked in the trunk with no bullets and clip out. Whats the point??? I would like to have the right to carry it on my side and in my car legally. My uncle does this in NM. Although he is not allowed to bring it into certain, possibly all stores. I remember he couldnt bring it into grocery stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or