Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:14 PM

343 posts, read 942,514 times

Advertisements

LOL at the title change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 07:25 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
Well of course, the bank failures in the 80's were not exclusive to Texas. I just don't believe in throwing money at a problem that was created by actions (be it life-management or corporations). I guess the best thing about America is that we can each express these opinions, for now anyway!

And we can both be wrong.
Yessir and luckilly (for me atleast) I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong. Hell, that's a rarity though. (My being wrong, I mean. )

Old 04-24-2009, 07:59 PM

556 posts, read 1,563,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Yessir and luckilly (for me atleast) I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong. Hell, that's a rarity though. (My being wrong, I mean. )
You and I are both cursed with the same blessing. It is hell being right all the time, isn't it??

Old 04-24-2009, 09:17 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
This country needs a steady hand at the wheel ... we don't have that. What we do have is an Administration that has a long history of gun regulation and that certainly adds to the "fear factor". Apologizing for the USA all over the world adds to the "fear factor". Cozy relations with historic USA enemies adds to the "fear factor". Nationalizing banks and major US industry adds to the "fear factor". Legislation that will increases the energy costs of every American (cap & trade) in the middle of a severe recession adds to the "fear factor".

We all have "hope" in the talk/rhetoric, but rising "fear" in the actions. Bottom line is that the populace eventually has to acknowledge the actions and not the lovely talk. It all adds to the "fear" factor.

I've been down this road before with Carter, I know what to expect and am prepared for it. Carter was a total amateur compared to Obama.

Lot's to be afraid of and guns/ammo/tea parties are the very least of it.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:41 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
This country needs a steady hand at the wheel ... we don't have that. What we do have is an Administration that has a long history of gun regulation and that certainly adds to the "fear factor". Apologizing for the USA all over the world adds to the "fear factor". Cozy relations with historic USA enemies adds to the "fear factor". Nationalizing banks and major US industry adds to the "fear factor". Legislation that will increases the energy costs of every American (cap & trade) in the middle of a severe recession adds to the "fear factor".

We all have "hope" in the talk/rhetoric, but rising "fear" in the actions. Bottom line is that the populace eventually has to acknowledge the actions and not the lovely talk. It all adds to the "fear" factor.

I've been down this road before with Carter, I know what to expect and am prepared for it. Carter was a total amateur compared to Obama.

Lot's to be afraid of and guns/ammo/tea parties are the very least of it.
If by "steady hand" you mean a one-way road where my way is the only way and not working with other nations, then I guess we don't have a steady hand. As for gun regulation, everyone still has guns in their houses, albeit, they're not automatic ones...but do we really need those? Cozy with historic USA enemies...how about Japan, Germany, Italy, Russia, China, and Vietnam to begin with?

Old 04-24-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
It is hell being right all the time, isn't it??
It really is, People just can't seem to handle it.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
This country needs a steady hand at the wheel ...
Like who ? W ?

Old 04-24-2009, 09:57 PM

1,560 posts, read 1,263,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
No empire in history has lasted as long as the US empire. It's about 50 years overdue for political collapse, historically.
Roman Empire: 27 BC- AD 476 (502 yrs)
Ottoman Empire: 1299-1922 (623 yrs)
Abbasid Empire: 750-1517 (767 yrs)
Assyrian Empire: 1920 BC-609 BC (1,311 yrs)
United States of America 1776- Present (233 yrs).

Oh, and let's not forget the fact that the United States is not a frikkin' empire.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:28 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
The United States has had its imperial moments, whether it was called an 'empire' or not. The Monroe Doctrine, gunboat diplomacy, the longstanding support and installation of regimes favorable to us (think 'banana republics')....I'm not making a value judgement, but those were imperial in thought if not in name. It's come back to bite us in the backside more than once, too. We didn't come along early enough to be imperial like Great Britain was. But the Mexican-American and Spanish-American Wars? Imperialism personified. It's simply the way the world was.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:13 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
That's a hoot. Yeah, it'll be soooo much better if Texas seceeds. Our politicians are much better than their politicians. Gimme a break.
Secede and kick all the bums out of office, start fresh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: