Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 03:57 PM

468 posts, read 1,220,527 times

Advertisements

There is a twitter channel to follow on this, from CDC: CDC Emergency (CDCemergency) on Twitter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 06:53 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
I just realized that with this flu, the timing of Fiesta week and all its gatherings could turn out to be REALLY poor timing....

Old 04-27-2009, 05:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Bumping..Dallas County, Forth Worth, Rio Grande - swine flu detected at schools there..schools closed.

Veratect (Veratect) on Twitter

Old 04-27-2009, 05:44 PM

468 posts, read 1,220,527 times
Some other threads from around this forum...

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ad-merged.html - san antonio

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...om-thread.html - san diego

//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...fair-oaks.html - sacramento

Old 04-29-2009, 12:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Governor Perry has closed all high school athletic & academic competitions until May 11 as a precaution. Sounds like a good idea to me because of the speed and depth of this thing, but I bet he takes heat for doing it. These competitions brings kids together from all over the state - it's a great way to spread sickness all over the state.
CDC says Texas swine flu death is first in U.S.

Time line on this child:
Entered the US (Brownsville, TX) on April 4
Became ill on April 8
Transferred to Houston on April 13
Veratec issued warnings to CDC & WHO on April 16
Vetratec followed up with phone call to CDC on April 20
CDC issued a release on April 24 following internet buzz.

CDC was ignoring all this up until the two people in California became ill - the Veretec announcement (which they ignored) was the first to pin point Mexico as the source.

I'm not sure I have a lot of confidence in the CDC on this issue, or Homeland Security of that matter. They are telling us that the incubation period is 48 hrs but look at the timeline on the child. He was in the US for 4 days becoming ill - and he was a long way from the infested areas of Mexico.

Veratec says this started in March, they first picked up signs on March 30 and were watching Mexico closely. Keep in mind that the suspected "ground zero" is a small village of 3000 people and it's now spreading around the world. That's some pretty fast spreading. Mexico was supressing the information because their medical people were afraid to work on the ill. This is way bigger in Mexico than the news is reporting. Most of the cases in the USA began with a trip to Mexico - you can bet all those people were NOT traveling to this small village. It is very, very contagious.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:51 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
36,000 people die EVERY YEAR from influenza. There IS a vaccine for the human strand yet hundreds of thousands (more like MILLIONS) of Americans every year have some excuse to NOT take it. Of course there is the worn out one of, "the one time I got the flu shot, I got the flu" . A dozen kids in ONE GRADE at ONE SCHOOL can be home sick with the flu on any given day in the country and no one panics. 10 of your childs classmates could be home sick with the flu and no one does anything or even blinks twice to think about it. Parents all of the time don't even take their kids to the doctor when they have the flu every year and don't bother taking Tamiflu and chose to instead "ride it out" (had this debate w/ a poster on another thread sometime last month when her child was home sick with the flu for 6 days and she thought it useless to even go to the doctor ). Point is............. the flu kills people EVERY YEAR and we DO have a vaccine for it to PREVENT IT and some of the same people freaking out over this are the very ones that won't get vaccinated or their children vaccinated. Only 1 person IN THE UNITED STATES has even died of this strain. 36,000 > 1 by a LONG SHOT! But the country doesn't go into pandemic mode and start shutting every thing down to keep the flu from getting spread around. The country doesn't require that everyone get vaccinated for it in order to PREVENT many of these 36 THOUSAND deaths. Airlines don't halt services in and out of hubs that are seeing a large percentage of their population with the flu.

This whole thing is so blown out of proportion it isn't even funny anymore. Sure it IS serious and I hate for anyone to get the flu and of course one that is a strain that is new and does not have a vaccine for it. But it has been said that Tamiflu DOES help if it is taken at the first signs of the flu just like it does on the common strains. Funny how people will run to the doctor NOW and want to be checked and get the antibiotic but in a normal season w/ the flu they don't. I'm pretty sure that it won't take long for someone to come up w/ a vaccine to prevent this strain. Only thing is we have to keep the freaked out people that do NOT have it from taking the antibiotics and making it resistant to them. We have so over used antibiotics in this country that some don't even work. If too many people w/ just a cold or allergies run to the doctor and insist on Tamiflu we won't be able to fight this one off for very long. The overhype in the media creating hysteria is going to be the downfall to this country. One simple strain of a flu bug will be able to wipe us off the planet if we don't get smarter when it comes to the proper use of such drugs.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:09 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,530 times
1. Flu doesn't respond to antibiotic - Tamiflu is an antiviral.

2. The concern is not just that this is the flu, or a new strain. The concern, overblown or not, is that this is similar to the 1918 flu in that it creates an overreaction of the body's own immune system. That is what kills you, in addition to the normal flu mortality of elderly and young - people from 20-40 who have the most healthy immune systems are the ones who die. This concern, I believe, is what caused WHO and the CDC to begin their containment and other procedures.

3. I suppose people are running to docs and pulling kids out of school. But that isn't what I understand is happening. What the media are reporting is that the CDC and county health depts are asking schools to close after reported cases, so that it doesn't spread. I haven't seen news reports of people lining up at doctor offices/hospitals, walking around w/ masks or creating runs on purell.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:26 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Actually, that 36,000 is for the U.S. Worldwide, 250,000-300,000 die of flu annually.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:06 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
anyone see Law and Order last night--I didn't - but person I ate lunch with said the story line involved mom who hits her baby/goes to bed/wakes up to find the child is dead/assumes she killed it with the blow/buries it--child is discovered--she is charged w/murder but voila--child died from measles...
contracted at a local park from another child whose mother refused to get the MMR vaccination for it...
THAT mom goes to trial for depraved indifference/manslaughter--is found not guilt--but is subsequently shot by the grandfather of the original dead child...
thought it was pretty on topic and was on the schedule before the flu news--not a repeat...

Article in FTW paper that NRHills factory that is about the only one in US still making masks (most are made in MX and China) has been upgrading assembly line--looking for workers that worked for the factory before it was closed/reopened under new owners...going to 24/7 shift asap--

would also buy some stock in Veratect--think this is going to be next big brother--should have contract with homeland security/cia/and all major multinationals like EXXON

Last edited by loves2read; 04-29-2009 at 04:30 PM..

Old 04-29-2009, 04:46 PM

6 posts, read 9,153 times
swine flu is just a stronger version of the regular flu. take some zinc to up you immune system and your good. nothing to really worry about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas