Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 01:12 PM

468 posts, read 1,220,100 times

Advertisements

News today from the CDC. Swine flu coming up from mexico, a few cases in San Antonio and San Diego. I'm wondering if anyone here has more details or maybe links to TX organizations that would track local issues more closely? (I am curious & wanting to be safe, this is not paranoia here btw. However Mexico city has closed public locations, is handing out breathing masks, and is basically preparing for SARS-type safety where entire cities in asia completely closed down to eliminate exposure. Though method of transmission hasnt been identified yet.)

Anything in TX happen like this before? What's the state of "readiness" of the TX government for something like this, I know in CA it would probably be a disorganized mess. I don't have a good feel for how the state of TX is run, if the state's reaction would be lacking, or solid, or what.

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu) Investigation

Human Swine Influenza Investigation

April 25, 2009 1:00 p.m. ET
Human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection have been identified in the U.S. in San Diego County and Imperial County, California as well as in San Antonio, Texas. Internationally, human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection have been identified in Mexico.
Investigations are ongoing to determine the source of the infection and whether additional people have been infected with similar swine influenza viruses.
CDC is working very closely with state and local officials in California, Texas, as well as with health officials in Mexico, Canada and the World Health Organization. On April 24th, CDC deployed 7 epidemiologists to San Diego County, California and Imperial County, California and 1 senior medical officer to Texas to provide guidance and technical support for the ongoing epidemiologic field investigations. CDC has also deployed to Mexico 1 medical officer and 1 senior expert who are part of a global team that is responding to the outbreak of respiratory illnesses in Mexico.
Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people. There are many things you can to do preventing getting and spreading influenza:

....(see CDC website)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 01:17 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
We've had 2 cases in Texas, both of whom recovered, so I'm not panicking (or advocating panic) at the moment. I am keeping an eye on it, though.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:27 PM

556 posts, read 1,562,789 times
I hope Texas health officials are on top of this. My daughter has a compromised immune system due to an autoimmune disease. This news story has definitely caused some elevated blood pressure, but I hope I'm over-reacting.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
A third teenager has it and they've closed down the High School and quarantined the family indefinitely.

Texas family quarantined after son contracts swine flu - CNN.com
Swine Flu Closes Byron Steele High School - Health News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/health/19290045/detail.html - broken link)

Old 04-25-2009, 02:38 PM

What I find particularly interesting is the composition of the flu virus:

"The new virus has genes from North American swine influenza, avian influenza, human influenza and a form of swine influenza normally found in Asia and Europe, said Nancy Cox, chief of the CDC's Influenza Division."

Just how does this happen?

Old 04-25-2009, 02:40 PM

398 posts, read 1,416,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
What I find particularly interesting is the composition of the flu virus:

"The new virus has genes from North American swine influenza, avian influenza, human influenza and a form of swine influenza normally found in Asia and Europe, said Nancy Cox, chief of the CDC's Influenza Division."

Just how does this happen?

people messing with genes.

all of that wonderful genetically engineered food we eat. yum.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:44 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeSmartHippies View Post
I'm wondering if anyone here has more details or maybe links to TX organizations that would track local issues more closely? (I am curious & wanting to be safe, this is not paranoia here btw.
If you do Twitter, follow CDC Emergency (CDCemergency) on Twitter

Even if you don't Twitter, you can bookmark that link and check it periodically.

Here's an example of the advice there: Wash Your Hands! It's the single most important thing you can do to keep from getting sick. Video at http://www.cdc.gov/CDCTV/handstogether/?s_cid=tw_epr_56

Here's a link to a site with methods for tracking the swine flu: http://mashable.com/2009/04/25/track-swine-flu/

Last edited by Bo; 04-25-2009 at 05:35 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan55 View Post
people messing with genes.

all of that wonderful genetically engineered food we eat. yum.
I seriously doubt that genetically modifed food (and, when you get right down to it, everything we eat has been genetically modified at some point, it's just a question of whether nature or man using nature or man using a laboratory modified it) caused this particular situation. Genetically modified viruses, maybe.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
THL..there's alot of tinfoil surrounding "genetically modified viruses" along with alot of unanswered questions. Makes for some good internet reading.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:13 PM

Well, I'm pretty good at weeding out tinfoil hat stuff. Just curious about how that particular combination of viruses from different continents could happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas