U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 09:56 AM

3 posts, read 15,122 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to Dalhart. Any advice would be appreciated. Moving from Cal and looking for a slower pace of life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2006, 10:32 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,793,208 times
My first question would be,why Dalhart?Do you have some particular reason for looking there?

Old 07-01-2006, 11:51 AM

Default TxBound

Job opportunity. Why? What do you know of Dalhart?

Old 07-01-2006, 12:18 PM

121 posts, read 790,663 times
I imagine Lifer came up with the question the same way I did, because there's not a whole lot in Dalhart. Or near Dalhart. All I've done is drive through it several times, so I'm really not any help. I would say that living out in the Panhandle is more of a lifestyle than anything. Dalhart will certainly be a slower pace, and it's actually near some neat scenery, such as Palo Duro Canyon State Park which is just south of Amarillo. There's also some interesting history up around that area, but all of it's a pretty healthy drive.

Don't know what you know about Dalhart yet, but it's pretty flat, an arid climate with cool nights and warm/hot days throughout most of the year, but it can get fairly cold in the winter time. Not a lot of precipitation out there, and it's fairly windy. Hopefully someone can fill you in more on the people and the town itself.

Old 07-01-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Job opportunity. Why? What do you know of Dalhart?
Nothing really bad.But like the previous poster said,there is not much there.It is flat,not very scenic,colder in winter than the rest of Texas,hot and windy in summer.Mostly just a bunch of farming.About the only reason I can think of for moving there is a desire to live away from everything,unless you are being transferred in there in your work.The main reason for the existence of dalhart seems to be as a rest stop for Texas skiers on the way to Colorado. Just like Dumas seems to exist for no other reason than to provide motels to skiers on the way to CO.Never seen so many motels in a little town in all my life.

Dalhart would definitely provide a much slower paced lifestyle,and definitely be a good,safe place to raise a family.Beyond that,not much else to say about it.

Old 07-01-2006, 03:50 PM

Default Dalhart

Thanks for responding. I have a job opportunity and must make a decision soon.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:22 AM

If the job is a good paying one then I think I would make a trip there and see the area for myself.It won't take long to get a feel for what you are moving to.You have to remember that what you are getting from us here is personal opinions about places.I tend to like the Hill Country and the coast,and the Panhandle just isn't my cup of tea.But I would move there myself if the job was right and paid the right amount of money.It would cut my time to Colorado in half. And I imagine it would be a good place to raise a family,better than most in fact due to the remote rural lifestyle.

There are a few places that even a very high paying job would be difficult to entice me to move there,such as the Midland/Odessa area,or D/FW,or Houston.But Dalhart,just from what I know about it,isn't someplace I would avoid like the plague.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:19 AM

619 posts, read 1,667,467 times
Dalhart is cattle ranch country. I drove through Dalhart on hwy. 54 and was intrigued. I did some research and it appears to be a nice safe family oriented town with affordable homes. There are actually some large mcmansions - probably ranch owners located just outside the center of town. I believe most employment is focused on cattle ranching. RR runs through town and I believe it is the biggest city between Tucumcari, NM and Liberal, KS. If I was physically forced, and that’s what it would take, to live in Texas I would probably choose Dalhart over the large crap bags Houston and Dallas.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:36 AM

11,798 posts, read 23,800,883 times
I think it's kind of an interesting place, but I don't know what it would be like to live in. You wouldn't be too far from a sizable city (Amarillo). My favorite part of Texas is the Far Western part around Alpine, Marfa and Fort Davis.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,985 times
I live in Dalhart. I have lived here most all my life. The people here are good people, friendly to a fault you might say. My little town is growing in leaps and bounds with a large cheese plant and many dairy's springing up everywhere you look. I dont know just what is going to change here but the changes are on their way good or bad. As far as interests unless you just love the big city squaller and crime, we have just about everyting within a short drive, and I'm sure some things will be getting closer. I hope I was of help. Rick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>