Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 01:29 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times

Advertisements

I was just reading the post about how expensive electricity is in Texas. Also I was reading another article about how Texas is a prime location for solar power generation. I was curious if anyone had looked into this or currently has solar panels generating electricity for their home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 06:41 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Generally speaking, the infrastructure cost for adding power generation for a single dwelling is too high to make much economic sense. Solar power is generated by several of the power companies and fed into the grid.

However, if you just want to heat water (such as for a pool, hot tub, and/or home use), it might be a little close proposition. Back in the 80s, Reagan had some tax breaks for alternative energy and my dad put in solar panels to heat water. We were probably about 95% in the summer and 80% in the winter (these are WAGs) and heated all the internal water and our hot tub. There was no electricity generation (strictly radiant heating), but it probably eventually paid for itself (guessing again it was about 7 or 8 years to do so....).

Old 04-04-2007, 07:16 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times
tx has good potential for both solar and wind.

its going to happen eventually, why not now?

Old 04-04-2007, 09:52 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
tx has good potential for both solar and wind.

its going to happen eventually, why not now?
Simple economics. It is cheaper to make electricity from fossil fuels.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:05 PM

but as you do more fo the others, the cost will come down. and the true costs of the fossil fuels are often not factored in....

Old 04-04-2007, 03:28 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
With no control over wind and sun it is also an unreliable source. For the current time all solar/wind capacity has to be duplicated with a more predictable source.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:09 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
With no control over wind and sun it is also an unreliable source. For the current time all solar/wind capacity has to be duplicated with a more predictable source.
Not really. All the extra energy you produce from solar/wind is put back into the grid and generally you will get credit. When you are pulling power from the grid then you use up your credit. Generally speaking you would be using solar during the days, when demand is highest. I am not sure how exactly it works for power companies in Texas but sometimes the electricity is at a premium rate during peak hours.

Also you could store the excess energy in batteries or convert it to a storage source, such as hydrogen during times of no wind or shine. But those systems are still rather inefficient.

I guess we just have to wait a few years when energy prices go up (which we all know that is going to happen). Maybe when electricity is 20-30cents per KWH and when buying 1kwh of solar panels only costs 2k then it will be a different story.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:50 AM

81 posts, read 356,258 times
I'm mystified as to why solar is not as BIG in Texas as it appears to be in California. The states' different inducements/ incentives to promote solar may be key.

I found this http://www.lennarliving.com/index.cf...63#communities link to a solar home developer in California: watch the video which plays at the top of the page. Note that the solar roof tiles used by the developer are aesthetically pleasing.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:03 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfields View Post
I'm mystified as to why solar is not as BIG in Texas as it appears to be in California.
The reason Texas doesn't give the inducements is two-fold:

One is that Texas is an energy producing state and the energy industry is big here. They are skeptical of other, newer energy technologies gaining a foothold. Therefore, there is a lot of pressure on the state to not provide such incentives. Thankfully, I read recently that this is changing with wind generation as there are some new wind turbine manufacturers popping up in Houston. But, in the end, Texas is still an oil and gas state.

Second is that people in Texas have a different mindset in terms of the environment as compared to California. It is simply less of a concern and they don't see a whole lot of need to fund things like solar power. This, thankfully, is changing slowly but many people still look on concern with the environment with skepticism.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:36 PM

tx is #1 in wind.

and youd think the energy companies would see whats happening and be buying into the new forms as quick as they could...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas