Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2007, 05:53 PM

670 posts, read 2,999,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
I never really thought Austin or homes in Texas are cheap in price. If you look at the avg price of a home; say here in Austin forabout $150K, the property taxes per year is ruffly around $4000.00. Now, w/o interest that payment per 12 months is around $333.00, then a mortgage payment around $850-$900.

~ Now, if you look at other cities say Colorado Springs, yes there homes that are comparable to ours @ the 150K is about 400K, but the property taxes are no where near $4000 a year. It is like $1400 a year. So at that to the mortgage payment. I never ran the numbers, but I assume that a home here in Austin is $150K is like 300K is other cities that have lower property taxes. Now, this does make-up for the fact that in Texas we don't have State Taxes, but still it's not really cheaper to live here IMHO.
But what KIND of house is that in Colorado? I know for us in Georgia to have a similar quality and size of house, I would have to add about $100K the house...in addition to the state taxes.

Last edited by USA_Mom; 09-11-2007 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: Misspelled house

Old 09-16-2007, 07:10 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Mom View Post
But what KIND of house is that in Colorado? I know for us in Georgia to have a similar quality and size of house, I would have to add about $100K the house...in addition to the state taxes.
From what I seen and compared to my 2001 model home, It's about 350K or so.

Home's in Colorado (aka DENVER) look a lot like mine, but are smaller per sq ft.

Looking at buying homes, you have to compromise lifestyle and what you want.

I found a calculator that if you put your earned yearly income in the state you live in then tell the calculator what state/city you are looking to move to and it said from Austin to Denver, I need to make at least 3K more a year to live same lifestyle that I live here in Austin right now.
So you still come out ahead from say Austin to Denver, but what are you willing to give up?? Car payment? I could

Old 06-10-2008, 12:04 PM

303 posts, read 846,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Texas has the second most Fortune 500 companies in America. There is plenty of work.

But the land is cheap because there is lots of it.

If there is "plenty of work" here, then why have my boyfriend, with a bachelor's in Computer Science, and I, with a bachelor's in Biology looking to go into environmental science, been looking for over 2 years and not finding a single job here?

Old 06-10-2008, 01:05 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
I've only read through the first three pages on this thread, but I'll say this: All y'all who don't want to move here because of "high crime" rates, "low-paying jobs", low housing prices, hey, fine by me. I came to TX by way of the gubmint, and I ain't leavin'!

Old 06-10-2008, 02:38 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post
If there is "plenty of work" here, then why have my boyfriend, with a bachelor's in Computer Science, and I, with a bachelor's in Biology looking to go into environmental science, been looking for over 2 years and not finding a single job here?
Maybe you're looking in the wrong place? I don't know if Grapevine is exactly booming...

Old 06-10-2008, 02:52 PM

142 posts, read 501,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Honestly, I can't really tell the difference between Houston's no-zoning, and the zoning here in DFW.
Very astute. Professional planners have started having that conversation. Often its not so much the use of a piece of property as how it is designed and what forms of mitigation are on site. Who cares if a site is used as a gas station, furniture store or medical office as long as its public impacts are neutralized or minimized.

So yes, Houston does not have zoning but many parts of it have deed restrictions to the extent that it amounts to privatized zoning.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:57 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Maybe you're looking in the wrong place? I don't know if Grapevine is exactly booming...
Grapevine is a bedroom community (suburb) of the Dallas/Ft Worth Metroplex. DFW International Airport is at the doorstep of Grapevine. While many "professional" jobs might not be IN Grapevine there are plenty of areas that do fit those careers. It was once a sleepy little "farm" town that has now been encroached upon by the booming economy in this area.

There could be OTHER factors that go into play in why someone has not gotten a job. Good people in this area get hired and often have several offers. One needs to step back and look from the other side. If you were an employer, would YOU hire someone like you? Not saying there is anything wrong w/ someone at all just that there has to be something behind one has not gotten a job offer in 2 years (especially a couple if they are BOTH looking surely one of them could have found something by now).

Old 06-10-2008, 04:05 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Grapevine is a bedroom community (suburb) of the Dallas/Ft Worth Metroplex. DFW International Airport is at the doorstep of Grapevine. While many "professional" jobs might not be IN Grapevine there are plenty of areas that do fit those careers. It was once a sleepy little "farm" town that has now been encroached upon by the booming economy in this area.

There could be OTHER factors that go into play in why someone has not gotten a job. Good people in this area get hired and often have several offers. One needs to step back and look from the other side. If you were an employer, would YOU hire someone like you? Not saying there is anything wrong w/ someone at all just that there has to be something behind one has not gotten a job offer in 2 years (especially a couple if they are BOTH looking surely one of them could have found something by now).
Well with her credentials she might need to be looking in DFW. I doubt Grapevine could compete with what the economic center of Dallas is offering.

Agree with everything else.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:33 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

Yeah, I'd have to agree there's something else going on there to account for the poster's not landing a job in two years. Texas cities may have their faults, but lack of jobs isn't one of them!

Old 06-10-2008, 04:39 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow_keys View Post
Very astute. Professional planners have started having that conversation. Often its not so much the use of a piece of property as how it is designed and what forms of mitigation are on site. Who cares if a site is used as a gas station, furniture store or medical office as long as its public impacts are neutralized or minimized.

So yes, Houston does not have zoning but many parts of it have deed restrictions to the extent that it amounts to privatized zoning.
I agree! I lived there for two years and I could never tell the difference between here and there as far as zoning. I lived in North Oak Cliff and East Dallas. There are areas here that you could pick up and drop there and not be able to tell the difference in which city you were in, and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas