Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:06 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,241,534 times

Advertisements

What is it like to live & work in Bryan/College Station? I'm considering a job possibility, don't know too much about the area, other than its home to Texas A&M. It appears to be a relatively small community. What's it like for education, housing, cost of living, friendlieness, diversity, etc?

Opinions, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 12:53 PM

Old 05-26-2009, 01:18 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,050,519 times
I don't live there but graduated from TAMU. I visit 1 or 2 times per year. An old college roommate has lived in CS for many years. What I hear is that B-CS is very friendly, generally laid back, but hectic at times depending on what is happening on campus. Cost of living is low. Amenities (e.g. restaurants) are vastly better than when I was in school.

There is a distinct difference in feel between Bryan and College Station. CS is mostly white and reflects the campus demographics. Bryan high school and A&M Consolidated high school for example have a much different student body.

Life can be good in B-CS, but not if you need what a city like Houston has.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I don't live there but graduated from TAMU. I visit 1 or 2 times per year. An old college roommate has lived in CS for many years. What I hear is that B-CS is very friendly, generally laid back, but hectic at times depending on what is happening on campus. Cost of living is low. Amenities (e.g. restaurants) are vastly better than when I was in school.

There is a distinct difference in feel between Bryan and College Station. CS is mostly white and reflects the campus demographics. Bryan high school and A&M Consolidated high school for example have a much different student body.

Life can be good in B-CS, but not if you need what a city like Houston has.
So sounds like College Station would be more.....suitable?

What do people do there that aren't students? Seems like everyone plays golf, goes to church (3x on Sunday) , plays bridge, and goes to Aggie Muster! Do they have high speed or just dial up?

Old 05-27-2009, 06:19 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,604,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post

What do people do there that aren't students? Seems like everyone plays golf, goes to church (3x on Sunday) , plays bridge, and goes to Aggie Muster! Do they have high speed or just dial up?

People either raise families or go to school there until age 22-25 and then get up and leave as fast as they can. (Underemployment is a rampant issue there.)

If you're single and past the college-age years you will most likely be socially miserable there.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:42 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,050,519 times
My friend in CS is a physician and is socking away money. He travels when he wants.

Otherwise I suppose people go to Houston when they want something more than A&M sports and the modest entertainment choices.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:17 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,098,810 times
Too many Aggies.

But they have multiple Freebirds locations.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:23 PM

816 posts, read 1,940,503 times
Quote:

Haha, yeah. Texas has a lot of big tech companies.

College Station has Suddenlink, Embarq, and AT&T. Maybe you can get your Ethernet cord and connect to A&M since they have very fast internet.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:20 PM

121 posts, read 487,218 times
Quote:
What is it like to live & work in Bryan/College Station? I'm considering a job possibility, don't know too much about the area, other than its home to Texas A&M. It appears to be a relatively small community. What's it like for education, housing, cost of living, friendlieness, diversity, etc?

Opinions, please!
My wife and I moved her for my job back in February. Best move we ever made, Cost of living is very reasonable, housing runs the gambit, but College Station is nicer than Bryan in that regard. And the people here are very friendly. Great parks, and lots of activities. Galveston and Houston are easy day trips as are Waco or Austin.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:07 PM

any more opinions?

Last edited by marylee54; 07-13-2009 at 04:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas