Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 06:30 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,223,290 times

Advertisements

I just received an email from a friend of mine and thought I'd share it with you all as it's kind of scary. I'm assuming it's true as I looked it up on www.snopes.com and didn't find anything to indicate otherwise. The email read as follows:

Ok, this is a "heads-up" to all of you picture takers. I can't stress it
enough; please watch out for those rattlers and watch the babies!!

The photos were taken at LCRA Park in Bastrop County.

Be careful posing those babies in Bluebonnets for pictures.

This is a great reminder that they are very active right now.

Take care and be safe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/VAUGHANMARIE/BB1.jpg (broken link)<p>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/VAUGHANMARIE/BB2.jpg (broken link)<p>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/VAUGHANMARIE/BB3.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 06:16 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,707,600 times
Wow!

Last year, a lady was missing for days when they found her car abandoned in a country road near Wimberley. Turns out they found her body just a half mile down into the hills resting among the bluebonnets. They found snake bites on her.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:33 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
That's very good advice KewGee, and a sad story about the lady in Wimberley Nick.
I see all of these photos of kids in fields of bluebonnets, which are very nice and beautiful, but I wonder how many people actually check the areas out before they pose their kids for those pictures.

Man, that is one BIG rattler.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:25 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Fire ants are another pest that can be in those fields of Bluebonnets. So watch your step walking thru them. YIKES!!! That is a BIG snake ! I am NOT a snake person at all and I don't care if it is a non-venomous snake, no can do.

We have several areas here "in the city" that always have Bluebonnets so the snakes are not usually a problem but the ants can be. This year the two largest fields of them are FULL and THICK. I've never seen them as with this many before not just full and totally covered but covering larger areas than ever also. We are going to go take some pics today after school since one of the places is a block from one childs school.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:07 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,531 times
I am terrified just sitting here seeing it through the screen.
Many snakes in Fort Worth...ah ha, ha...=/ ha, not funny. =(

Old 04-12-2007, 03:39 PM

437 posts, read 2,238,572 times
OMG that is big. Are they all that big? Oh I couldn't handle that.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:59 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,223,290 times
No, they're not all that big but nevertheless, rattlesnakes can be deadly.

I've only seen two in my yard since living in TX for 28 years. I freaked for sure, but no one, thank God, got bitten. Yes, they're around but like with anything, one just has to be careful.

I posted this as a precaution because we all love to take photos amongst the Bluebonnets with children, pets, etc. I actually had never thought about such a snake slithering through a field of the beautiful state flower. Totally creepy.

Bound For Texas and kgee (California residents) ~ I will never forget the time when I was six years old and we went up in the mountains above the San Fernando Valley for the day. Long story and I won't bore anyone with the details, but I was nearly bitten by a huge rattlesnake. To this day, I still hear the sound of his rattle and see him all coiled. I was scared to death and ran and ran and ran. Obviously, this once little girl was in a panic.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:20 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,425,035 times
I was just thinking that boy they are pretty but I wouldn't be one to go trapsing in there for fear of a big snake. Now I have seen it...*shivers*

Old 04-13-2007, 06:05 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,635,365 times
Wow, that is a big one alright! But don't forget the water mocassins in East Texas, came across them all the time.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:40 PM

284 posts, read 1,681,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound for Texas View Post
OMG that is big. Are they all that big? Oh I couldn't handle that.
Some are, but the babies are even more potent! If you are careful, they aren't a problem. People mainly get bitten when they make mistakes or get careless.

KewGee, thanks for the reminder. Some people from church are just about to leave on a bluebonnet tour, so I will pass this on to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas