Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 03:06 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
There's a pretty interesting pine tree species in that shot for Texas.

HAHA - that's what I was thinking. Same goes for the terrain. Looks northwestern, Cascades maybe northern Sierras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 05:02 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Carla.

And I when I said every year recently, I meant the last 4-5 years, and I really meant just evacuation and not full-scale hurricane damage. It's gotten worse and Houston has had to evacuate a lot more recently than they have had to in the past.

These reactions are exactly what Dallas is like for tornadoes, except they hit even less often.
Rita did not hit Houston...it was at least 100 mi away at Sabine Pass. All we got was a breeze, no storm surge or anything including rain which we needed.

Carla did not hit Houston either...it went in south past Matagorda. It was a big storm like Ike but much stronger (Cat 4) and Galveston did get some coastal flooding but inland areas like College Station felt it (the wind) a lot more strongly than did Houston. Houston and it's immediate suburbs had no problems.

The only reason there have been more evacuations is because in the last 40+ years since Carla, and 25 since Alicia vulnerable areas south of Houston that used to be pastures have become heavily populated. If you noticed, Houston proper did not evacuate for Ike. Galveston, and coastal communities were required to evacuate.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:04 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazziman22 View Post
Since I'm from New Jersey I'd love to know how it's different from the Northeast besides what was said already.
HOuston/Dallas suburbs are different from Jersey in the ways mentioned. But the two are more alike than different. I'm not getting the original question, is anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
Awe, how full of Texas pride you are.

< sing > Texas, our Texas! All hail the mighty State!
< sing > Texas, our Texas! So wonderful so great!

The point of my response to TNRyan23 was to denote that Dallas being close to Oklahoma can be an asset, as that State has some beautiful areas to visit.
What's up with the sarcasm and since when is Texas pride something to make fun of?

I think he/she was referring to the pictures posted by the Oklahoma tourism bureau in a thread about TEXAS suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
There's a pretty interesting pine tree species in that shot for Texas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
HAHA - that's what I was thinking.
There are pines in some parts of central Texas. Anyone who has lived in Bastrop knows that. Why all the critique of that when pictures of Oklahoma are posted that look like almost nothing in Oklahoma outside of Ouachita National Forest (most of which is in ARKANSAS)

Old 06-08-2009, 05:11 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post

There are pines in some parts of central Texas. Anyone who has lived in Bastrop knows that. Why all the critique of that when pictures of Oklahoma are posted that look like almost nothing in Oklahoma outside of Ouachita National Forest (most of which is in ARKANSAS)
That wasn't a Lop Lolly or any Texas pine I've ever seen. My parents have two places in "the Hill Country." Marble Falls and Blanco. Lodge Pole Pine isn't anywhere near any of them......in fact, no pines come to think of it. Oaks and cedar and dirt, with fields of wild grass. It's green for about two weeks.

I have a place in NE Texas, it looks very much like those Okie shots.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:11 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
The point of my response to TNRyan23 was to denote that Dallas being close to Oklahoma can be an asset, as that State has some beautiful areas to visit.
So does Cajun County in Southern Louisiana...

Old 06-08-2009, 06:34 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
What's up with the sarcasm and since when is Texas pride something to make fun of?

I think he/she was referring to the pictures posted by the Oklahoma tourism bureau in a thread about TEXAS suburbs.
No, Texas pride isn't anything to make fun of; AK123's "I'll stay in this great state for my weekend trips" response was.

Here's how Oklahoma was brought into the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Houston's Suburbs are close to the Beach.

Dallas's Suburbs are close to Oklahoma.

Enough Said.
Back-handed shot.

Quote:
^ I don't think many people in the Dallas area mind having Oklahoma nearby.
My response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
So does Cajun County in Southern Louisiana...
But noone else has mentioned Southern Louisiana.

Last edited by First24; 06-08-2009 at 07:11 PM..

Old 06-08-2009, 06:39 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,438 times
Hold on folks....I thought of an actual difference between Dallas suburbs and Houston suburbs! Dallas and surrounding suburbs have a lot (dare I say mostly?) rear entry driveways and garages. In order to access your house, you turn down a different street than the one you live on, then turn into your alley. Everyone's driveway feeds into this alley, and that's how you pull into your home. So you get out of your car in your back yard instead of your front yard. You know....like on King of the Hill (). This means Dallas folk rarely use their own front door. At least that's how it was when I was there. Houston seems to have mostly the standard front-entry driveway and garages, which is similar to what I've seen here in CA. If there are any alley/rear entry garages there, I haven't seen them. Viola! A difference! ;D

Old 06-08-2009, 07:09 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:

Yes, you can see the Lost Pines off TX-71 between Bastrop and Smithville all day, and then back TX-21 some. There are also people who have taken those Loblolly's and planted them around the Highland Lakes area, and they grow better than here on the coast grasslands of SE TX! But they are totally different than those western/northwestern pines in that 3rd picture w/ the swooping green mountains. Let's not fool ourselves...

Old 06-08-2009, 07:39 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
dweej --

That is indeed a difference, but I think the alley thing in the Dallas suburbs stopped by the mid-1980s. Am I wrong? I lived in one of those alley-suburbs, and it was primarily 70s and 80s houses. Garland, Richardson, and older parts of Plano have them in droves. Newer developments seem to all have the street-entry garages.. whether on the front or side-entry.

I do know of at least one place in Austin that has alleys, so I'd imagine there might be a few in Houston too... but definitely not to the level Dallas has.

Personally, I think the alleyways were nice from a homeowners perspective. No visible driveway, and your backyard didn't have a neighbor just on the other side of the fence. Kind of a nice buffer.... especially with dogs.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:18 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
There are quite a few neighborhoods like that in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas