Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 07:32 PM

4 posts, read 4,203 times

Advertisements

We live in East Texas. Our children are moving to Texas from California. We would like to find a 5+ acre property with 2 houses on it plus any amenities (pool, hot tub, barn/shops, pond(s)). How would one find a property like that?? I lived in the HEB area many years ago but am just starting to try to find our dream place/property and would love any help/direction I could get. My son-in-law will be working at DFW Airport and Westlake so would like to stay within a 30 minute drive from them or at least close. Any help out there!?? I also own a house and some land on Lake Palestine that maybe used in a trade if one wanted. Also my husband is a 100% disabled Vietnam Veteran and can use our VA loan. Thanks in advance for any advise/help/direction! Donna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 07:53 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
You aremost likely going to have to look west of Westlake to find a horse place with 5 acres and 2 houses. cities to look in: Paradise, Boyd, Rhome, Haslet. Depending on your budget, you may be able to find a place in Argyle, but that tends to be higher. Avoid buying on the edge of a more residential town, such as Flower Mound, Keller or Roanoke, because as the town develops more property into residential, they will not want horses around and will pass zoning laws prohibiting them. (I have personally seen this happen!)

Keep in mind that in north Texas, you will need at least 1 acre of land per horse so your property will not become a sea of mud when it rains. Our black clay soil is very hard on horses' feet, so if you can get a place that has red dirt or sand, that will be much better.

Personally, I am not a fan of ponds as they tend to become snake habitats. I'd much rather have a nice water trough...

Old 04-25-2012, 07:58 PM

4 posts, read 4,203 times
Thanks ChristieP. Will take all advice I can get!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas