Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 10:11 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,872,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
My DH lived in Arizona before Texas and cannot tolerate TEXAS heat because it is much more humid. We live in the DFW area. You really need to visit here in the summer before you set your sights on TX since you did not like AZ.
In the DFW area--it is very humid, along with about 70% of the rest of the state.

But West Texas and the Panhandle areas are relatively dry by comparison, so not all of Texas is a steambath in the spring, summer and early fall--some of it is a sauna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 10:38 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,393 times
In the Dallas metro, look for suburbs north of I-635 (across the northern part of Dallas). The further north you go the more you'll find the OC. Not that there's anything in Texas that will compare, if you shut your eyes you might imagine. Just watch out for the Oklahoma border.

Rivers and lakes in north Texas are mud bottom and generally not clear, excepting maybe for Possum Kingdom. Texas hill country, north and west of San Antonio and Austin has some rock bottom rivers and are delightful. Texas is experiencing a drought, so don't expect much water.

You will NOT find a west coast quality beach in Texas. Do not even try, do not even close your eyes to imagine. Just. Ain't. Gonna. Happen. But, they're our beaches and we like them for what they are.

And yeah, summers are really hot here. For adults, a stay inside kind of hot but kids love it. For myself, I don't really consider it hot until the overnight LOW doesn't drop below 85... for several nights in a row. And of course, along with high humidity.

In short, you're not going to find a SoCal kind of satisfaction living here. But if you're looking for work....

To help discover more about your new home, send off now for your Texas Travel Guide.. IT"S FREE ! ! !

Old 05-28-2011, 07:32 PM

37 posts, read 95,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmailbox View Post
Funny...we are moving from northeast Houston to Orange County, California next month. We have lived previously in Washington State, Florida, and Virginia. When I visited Dallas, I really liked Plano. (Plus, it's just fun to say "I live in Plano Texas" especially with a drawl.) My friends lived in McKinney--which seemed a bit slow to me. I like having more to do nearby, which seems to be true of SoCal. I've found some great resources that are helping me plan a long distance move...
1. Greatschools.org - tells you all about school rankings in the area and demographics
2. Hotpads.com - maps out properties for you, where you can easily see favorites and commutes
3. Zillow.com - home and rent valuations with trends
4. Walkability.com - rates access to transit, nearby restaurants, grocery stores, coffee shops, etc.
What you will LOVE: the people--especially in church--and no state income tax.
What you will HATE: the flatness and the summer swelter (but everyone is right--air conditioning is everywhere--in fact I always carry a sweater because it is FREEZING indoors).

For us, we are debating between living in Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, and Irvine. My husband will be working in Santa Ana. Our two kids are now 14 and 16. Any suggestions?

Good luck and God bless you in your move!
I grew up going to Huntington & Newport Beach. To live...my personal pick would be Newport or Irvine. You will love the weather

Last edited by Yac; 11-06-2020 at 02:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas