Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is the best Texas City (Entertainment, Employment, Peace)
Houston 18 41.86%
Dallas/Ft. Worth 18 41.86%
Austin 4 9.30%
San Antonio 5 11.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 08:12 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You should be more clear on your statements & facts, LAnative.

Dallas does not have a larger gay population than the Houston Metro, D/FW does. Considering D/FW has about 600,000 more people than the Houston area does, 2k more gays is hardly enough to call "by a long shot". It would not be that noticeable of a difference to amount worth squat. In fact, many would argue Houston's gay district, Montrose is larger & more diverse than Dallas' Oaklawn is.
However Dallas gay community is much more organized. Dallas has one of the largest gay resource centers in the US. Houston doesnt have a gay resource center. All of my gay friends who have lived in both cities seem to prefer Dallas and thats one of the reasons. Though Im sure what youre saying about Houston having more gay african americans is true. Houston has a larger African American population on the whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 10:28 AM

41 posts, read 77,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Calling Austin a "Metro" is a stretch, isn't it?
LOL! I'm pulling towards Dallas, Houston and Atlanta. I just added the other two cities because it came up as metropolitan cities. So I figured I would add it to see what people would say. But it appears I'm still between Dallas and Houston. I love Atlanta, but the job market hasn't been to great lately, although I received a call stating thiings are turning around up there.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendiej View Post
Where are you coming from? I would definitely make sure I had a job and a pre-move visit to Texas. It is a huge state and you should see it before you decide anything at all. Every city is very different and has its own feel and vibe. Every city has its problems and attractions. Sorry this is not specific enough for answers, but you might want to narrow your search to each city first, then ask more questions when you have one or two cities to compare. Maybe then we can help more.
I'm coming from Florida. Thanks for your input. I have no problem getting up and move based on statistics. I live in Jacksonville, Florida (large, boring, prejudice capital and the most country metro-city it is) and we have one of the highest crime rate overall. The job market isn't great and people here don't believe in going anywhere or doing anything. I like to travel. I will end up staying in both Houston and Dallas before it's all over. I'm looking for that spot to call home. Financial Security & Safety is very important to me, so if I get that at my 1st stop in Texas then that will probably be home. I'm just trying to figure out where is best to start and possibly end my move. I know as long as there are Agencies there are jobs. I am a office person, but have no problem getting dirty and working in the sun, so I will work at a labor pool if I needed too. I'm very good with my hands and have many (legal) talents. I just prefer to sit in the A/C behind a desk, lol!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:54 AM

Lol!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
Your #3 item alone tells me Houston is for you.
LOL! Thank you!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
All of your criteria screams Houston.
Thanks Metro Matt for all of your input. I found it vvery helpful!

Old 06-12-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
It really depends on what you like.

The fact that you mention that you like being near the water and enjoy the outdoors would make me suggest Houston, the fact that you mention that you are gay and public transit is a factor would make me suggest Dallas. Also Austin is the safest of the cities in Texas I would suggest for you.

You will find outdoor festivals moreso in Dallas and Austin, but Houston does have their fair share as well. The job market is very good in Texas all over. Also you will find plenty of things to keep you entertained in all these cities.

I think the bottom line is that it all comes down to a matter of taste. Houston is more laid back and international, Dallas is more cosmopolitan and organized. It also has more of a Texas feel to it. Austin is in a world of its own. To me, Dallas feels more like a city on the east coast (better public transit, clubs and nightlife seem to be in certain areas together) and Houston feel more west coast (more laid back and spread out). All three cities are very socially accepting. Dallas has a larger and more organized gay community.

I really dont think you can go wrong with any of these cities.
THANK YOU LAnative10! I love the way you broke that down for me. THANK YOU! That's exactly what I'm looking for. The gay part is not as important to me. But the information that you and Metro Matt provided on it is great & helpful to know. Thank again!

Old 06-12-2009, 12:23 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewartk View Post
THANK YOU LAnative10! I love the way you broke that down for me. THANK YOU! That's exactly what I'm looking for. The gay part is not as important to me. But the information that you and Metro Matt provided on it is great & helpful to know. Thank again!
My pleasure!

Whether you choose Dallas or Houston, you really cant go wrong with either city. Both are socially accepting, very international, growing exponentially, extremely welcoming, gay friendly, and very fun! Honestly, I believe you will find what youre looking for in both cities. While Dallas doesnt have the coast, it is surrounded by some of the most beautiful lakes ive seen perfect for outdoors activites including camping, fishing, etc. And while Houston doesnt have the an as extensive rail system as Dallas does, you can still get around very easily and they are building one as we speak.

Both cities are growing so fast. In 2007 the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex grew 168,000 and the Houston metro area grew 120,000

I was faced with your decision and I choose Dallas because my wife wanted to be near a larger Thai community since shes from Thailand. But I believe we would have been happy in either city. Its all about what feels the most comfortable to you.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:21 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
Your #3 item alone tells me Houston is for you.
This is why I voted Houston, it's the only that fits this coastal requirement. And not even all of Houston - only the south or southeast side really.

Plus central Texas cities have no public rail transit systems yet.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:28 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
LAnative - Houston does have Montrose, does have a rail system that will be expanded, and does have a large Thai population. And two Chinatowns. It's not like there's a massive difference between Houston and Dallas on gays, Thais or even rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas