Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 06:36 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
LOL Here you go again. There's no discussing anything with you, it's just listening to how the white people put you down for being black. How funny, but not really, because it simply isn't true. You get put down, maybe you should do some self examination. Something tells me there's a little more going on here than you care to admit.

"race is still an issue in this country" I seriously can't even believe a person with even the slightest bit of education or sense would utter something like this. LOL Of course, race is an issue in this country. Duh! Race is an issue in EVERY country and everyone knows that. What you fail to grasp, is the fact racism is in EVERYBODY (Whites, blacks yellows, browns, etc.) and it's pointless on your behalf to deny it. You so want to make everyone believe that any discrimination from the whites towards the blacks is the only only racism there is. Just laughable.
Please reference the post where I say that. We are discussing East Texas rednecks, though.

Quote:
"I only wish I could thumbs-up KathrynAragon again. She's a shining example of the mindset of someone who knows what they're talking about, and not someone who thinks they know everything". LOL, Sorry, but this is every bit as funny as the rest of your post, maybe more so.
Care to explain why, like an adult? Or are you just looking for more high-fives and pats on the back from your comrades? "Good one, sis!" "That's showin' 'im!"

You come off as very combative, as if you might have some deeper issue with me. I, on the other hand, don't pay much attention to most of your posts. Perhaps you should try that with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 06:40 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm pretty certain "rednecks" aren't the only hardworking people in the country.

I'm "snooty" for being proud of my educational and financial successes, yet the alternative is being a gangbanger with multiple baby-mommas and no job. Apparently, it's impossible to please you.

I come from a family of blue collar workers and grandparents who were sharecroppers. They're the ones who pushed for me to pursue everything I have now. I'll make no apologies for being proud of it, and I'm sure they wouldn't want me to.
Another thing, how is it with you, it always has to be one way or another? LOL Nothing in between, i.e. "I'm "snooty" for being proud of my educational and financial successes, yet the alternative is being a gangbanger with multiple baby-mommas and no job. Apparently, it's impossible to please you". Seriously, are you really this much of an extremist in day to day life? If so, whew . . . makes me tired just thinking about it.

As to being proud for your successes, what about it? You think you're the only person to come up the ranks and make something of themselves? Everyone is proud of their accomplishments, it's just not everyone who goes around throwing them in other people's faces. LOL One thing to feel pride, quite another to be just a boastful, arrogant person simply because you have achieved something in life. Hey, I thought that was the goal for everyone, nothing spectacularly outstanding about that.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Another thing, how is it with you, it always has to be one way or another? LOL Nothing in between, i.e. "I'm "snooty" for being proud of my educational and financial successes, yet the alternative is being a gangbanger with multiple baby-mommas and no job. Apparently, it's impossible to please you". Seriously, are you really this much of an extremist in day to day life? If so, whew . . . makes me tired just thinking about it.

As to being proud for your successes, what about it? You think you're the only person to come up the ranks and make something of themselves? Everyone is proud of their accomplishments, it's just not everyone who goes around throwing them in other people's faces. LOL One thing to feel pride, quite another to be just a boastful, arrogant person simply because you have achieved something in life. Hey, I thought that was the goal for everyone, nothing spectacularly outstanding about that.
In threads where all people can seem to talk about is blacks not being capable of doing this or that, or how they'd rather complain than carve out a destiny for themselves, you all were pretty much asking for me to throw my education in your face. It wasn't me suggesting that I'm better than anyone, but simply proving that the claims regarding "angry" blacks not being able to do for themselves but only blame others is unfounded.

You all seem to love these: . But I don't think you realize how immature their overuse makes you look, being that you'd rather express how "ridiculous" you think the other person's statements are than refute it with a sound argument. You should know that they aren't hurting my feelings.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Please reference the post where I say that. We are discussing East Texas rednecks, though.
Well gee, Nairobi, it's just a few posts above this one (#207) and you just posted it a couple of hours ago. I don't quite know what to make of your remark "We are discussing East Texas rednecks, though". Does this mean you contain "the race issue in this country" to only East Texas rednecks (whatever your definition of an East Texas redneck might be). That doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
Care to explain why, like an adult? Or are you just looking for more high-fives and pats on the back from your comrades? "Good one, sis!" "That's showin' 'im!"

You come off as very combative, as if you might have some deeper issue with me. I, on the other hand, don't pay much attention to most of your posts. Perhaps you should try that with me.
I'll tell you what, you twist it around anyway you like and make whatever of it you want. LOL If I say anything on this forum, it's certainly not to become the most popular poster, nor the most well liked poster or to get "high-fives and pats on the back from your comrades? "Good one, sis!" "That's showin' 'im!" as you so humorously came up with.

As to me having a deeper issue with you LOL, I just call it like I see it.

"I, on the other hand, don't pay much attention to most of your posts. Perhaps you should try that with me". So transparent, you are playing this exactly as I expect you to do. Again, funny, but getting old. Kind of like the old saying, it's been fun and it's been real, but not real fun. Keep the crusade going, Nairobi, Jesse Jackson is probably looking for another good helper.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
In threads where all people can seem to talk about is blacks not being capable of doing this or that, or how they'd rather complain than carve out a destiny for themselves, you all were pretty much asking for me to throw my education in your face. It wasn't me suggesting that I'm better than anyone, but simply proving that the claims regarding "angry" blacks not being able to do for themselves but only blame others is unfounded.

You all seem to love these: . But I don't think you realize how immature their overuse makes you look, being that you'd rather express how "ridiculous" you think the other person's statements are than refute it with a sound argument. You should know that they aren't hurting my feelings.

OMG and then some . . .

Doesn't get any better than this, does it?

Old 08-11-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Well gee, Nairobi, it's just a few posts above this one (#207) and you just posted it a couple of hours ago. I don't quite know what to make of your remark "We are discussing East Texas rednecks, though". Does this mean you contain "the race issue in this country" to only East Texas rednecks (whatever your definition of an East Texas redneck might be). That doesn't make any sense.
Yes, by "race issue in this COUNTRY", I was referring to East Texas. Think about that one.

The fact of the matter is, the entire argument got started because someone had a problem with my very first post, where I did nothing but contribute my 0.02 to an already ongoing discussion. TexasReb is the one that made it his sole duty to ATTEMPT to invalidate everything I said, simply because he was apparently offended by my initial comment.

Quote:
I'll tell you what, you twist it around anyway you like and make whatever of it you want. LOL If I say anything on this forum, it's certainly not to become the most popular poster, nor the most well liked poster or to get "high-fives and pats on the back from your comrades? "Good one, sis!" "That's showin' 'im!" as you so humorously came up with.

As to me having a deeper issue with you LOL, I just call it like I see it.

"I, on the other hand, don't pay much attention to most of your posts. Perhaps you should try that with me". So transparent, you are playing this exactly as I expect you to do. Again, funny, but getting old. Kind of like the old saying, it's been fun and it's been real, but not real fun. Keep the crusade going, Nairobi, Jesse Jackson is probably looking for another good helper.
So, in other words, no, you won't explain what you meant?

Speaking of being transparent, the Al Sharpton/Jesse Jackson references are as tired as they are ineffective.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:46 PM

Of course.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
So, in other words, no, you won't explain what you meant?
I didn't think so.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
If you don't care for the discussion, there's a simple solution: don't post here. Problem solved.

The fact that several of you do post here proves that it means something to you, if for no other reason then to thump your chest and proudly tout that you don't care about colored people problems. Never will you bend to the idea that race is still an issue in this country!

...Oh, not unless we get to talk about everything that's wrong with black people. That's a discussion none of you mind participating in. Funny how that works.

I only wish I could thumps-up KathrynAragon again. She's a shining example of the mindset of someone who knows what they're talking about, and not someone who thinks they know everything.
Thanks, Nairobi.

I am fiscally conservative but socially liberal for the most part. In other words, a libertarian at heart. I also enjoy coming from a very multinational family, which has definitely been an asset. I am immediate family to many African Americans, Hispanics, and Asians. And finally, I am not a native Texan, though I sincerely love Texas. I think all these facets of my background give me a view that many white, native Texans just never consider. I'm not saying they are WRONG - they're just not used to looking at things from those angles.

Anyone who thinks that the color of one's skin doesn't have a daily impact on one's life is simply hiding one's head in one's sandbox! To deny that daily influence and impact is simply to deny what is REALITY.

African Americans and other minorities simply DO have challenges that are unique to their culture. This isn't saying that white people create all of these challenges, or even most of them. But it's tiresome to be judged by the lowest common denominators in your ethnic group.

I'll give you an example, as a white girl. I married a college educated, professional AA man. Guess what - I'm not overweight, I'm educated myself, and I'm not "a white girl that white guys wouldn't have." Now - some people may be shocked by those stereotypes, and even disagree with them vehemently, BUT - I KNOW that many white people - in East Texas and on the east side of Chicago, and in many areas across the US - think in this stereotypical way. Part of why they do is because, frankly, you DO see a lot of slovenly white women with minority husbands. (You also see a lot of slovenly white women with slovenly white husbands but for some reason they don't seem to pack the same visual impact.)

I have another bit of insight into the prejudices of people - I am no longer married to my former husband and my biracial kids are married or have moved out. I am remarried, to a great guy who is also a native East Texan, and who is white. We live in a small East Texas town, and many people I interact with simply don't know my personal history. When I worked as a bank manager, Obama had just been elected. As a white woman, I had white customers (mostly older people) often express blatantly racist opinions to me - saying the most tasteless things about our new President (racist things) to me, as if for some reason I wouldn't mind hearing those things. I corrected them every time, by saying that I did not think he should be judged by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character. You wouldn't believe some of the blank looks, or even more blatant racism, that people gave me after that mild statement.

Now - in defense of East Texas (a place I dearly love) - MOST people don't act like this, especially people who are what I call "post integration" age (baby boomers and younger). I raised my biracial kids in a town just thirty miles away, and we had no significant issues - but then we just didn't TOLERATE prejudice. However, we did experience some.

It's still alive, folks. Don't kid yourselves. It's a HECK of a lot better than it used to be, but it's still there.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 08-12-2013 at 08:12 AM..

Old 08-12-2013, 08:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
"I only wish I could thumbs-up KathrynAragon again. She's a shining example of the mindset of someone who knows what they're talking about, and not someone who thinks they know everything". LOL, Sorry, but this is every bit as funny as the rest of your post, maybe more so.
And I WOULD like to know why this is so funny. I don't see it as particularly humorous myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas