Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 06:53 AM

46 posts, read 259,264 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

In June 2007 my husband and I will be stationed from Germany to Fort Hood. I have only been to USA (CA, MS, KS DC & VA) for vacation before and really dont know too much about living in USA.

How is it to live in Texas??
What are the better areas to live in around Fort Hood??
What is it like on Fort Hood Post???
What are the People like??
Are there any other German or maybe even Swedish spouses in this forum from Fort Hood Area????

Sorry for all these questions, I am just so excited and nervous at the same time and are just trying to be as well prepared as possible.
Thanks in advance for all the answers.

TINA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 12:46 AM

112 posts, read 716,655 times
Hey Diva. I was in the military for 4 years, stationed at good ole Fort Hood for 3 of those years. (Iraq was the other year) Well, what can I tell you about Ft. Hood. It's the largest military base in the world, 2 large divisions, many soldiers. Killeen is the largest city that borders Ft. Hood to the east. It has many different dining establishments. For fun, Austin is about 45 minutes away, and many of us spent alot of time in Austin. Copperas Cove is to the west of Ft. Hood and Harker Heights is just east of Killeen. There are some really nice looking neighborhoods in south Killeen around Stan Schluter LP, and near the old airport and golf courses in Harker Heights. I would avoid North Killeen, near the east gate of Ft. Hood. The West side of Fort Hood is all 1st Cav, the east side is 4th ID. There are 2 PX's, one on the west side and one on the east side. There are 2 commisary's as well. It's pretty easy to get around after doing a little exploring. There's a big 4th ID water tower that can be seen from almost anywhere since it is very flat, so it's easy to keep your bearing. There are some hills around Killeen, and I remember surrounding areas being referred to as the "hill country" but if you're from anywhere with moutains, you're going to wonder how they call it "hill country". Killeen probably has a population of around 90K. The hardest thing for me about living in Texas was the lack of interesting mountains and landscape. I'm from the Pacific Northwest, so I never got used to the lack of trees and color. I also never got used to the extreme humidity which makes warm days seem very hot, and hot days nearly unbearable. Other than that, there is tons of stuff do do. Killeen is 45 minutes from Austin, like I said, about 2 hours from San Antonio, and a little farther than that from Dallas. Houston is around 3 hours away. So there are many large cities close by that offer pretty much anything you can think of to do. We never ran out of things do do on weekends, when we had weekends off. Let me know how you like it when you get there. Good luck.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:09 PM

Hey marko

I reallu appreciate your answers. It helped me alot. Yes so I heard it is supposed to be very humit in texas, something I can not really look forward to being born and raised on the westcoast of sweden right by the ocean. Oh well I hope everything is going to be well. I sure will let ya all know how I deal with Texas

Tina

Old 05-11-2007, 10:43 AM

5 posts, read 59,277 times
Default moved here 2 months ago

Hello Tina. I hope the preparation for your move is going smoothly. I recently married a soldier so this was my first military move and it was hectic =) But now I'll know what to expect for our next move. I moved here 2 months ago and we live right off post in Killeen. If you have the option I would opt for moving to Temple. I went there last week and there seems like there is much more to do there and many more oportunities for jobs. It's a little ways away from the post.. about 30 mins without traffic. But we moved closer to the post because there's a lot of traffic to get on post in the morning for my husband to go to work. Killeen is a very small town and there is not much to do. But there are shopping centers (Walmart, Target) and a small mall, and there are tons of restaurants. I heard that there are lakes near by but haven't gone yet.

But there are things to do once out of Killeen. I went to Austin and absolutely loved it. Too bad it is not closer to the post. I also went to San Antonio. When you move here I suggest the "River Walk" in San Antonio. It is beautiful especially around November and December with the Christmas lights. There's also things you can do closer to Killeen. There are cave tours and parks and frisby golf (I've never heard of it before moving here but it was a lot of fun).

Like you I was used to living by the ocean and having that ocean breeze so the humidity here is taking a little time to get used to. I heard the summer is very very very hot but I believe a lot of the homes here have AC so that's a relief.

I know it's a little off the subject but my husband would like to be stationed in Germany next. How is it there?

Well I hope everything goes well and the little bit of info I gave you helped. Good luck!

Old 05-11-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Thank You

Hey Amvel

Thank you very much for your answer. I really appreciate it. This is my first millitary move as well. I read alot about Killeen and I know that my husband have some family members there. Our first choice is to go to Temple and check out the surroundings and people over there. I will stay open for anything though. Well what can I say about germany..... I guess it really depends on where in Germany you will land which will give you a good or bad experiance. Alot in germany is closing down now since they are trying to get US Millitary out of there. But a few posts will still stay open. I am from Hanau/Frankfurt area but my husband was stationed first in Heidelberg and then Mannheim. I think those two posts will stay open for at least another 3 years. Heidelberg is really pretty with a big, old famous castle and an old medeivel shopping street also tons of other things to do as well. If you land in Hanau it is not really a beautiful area, but you will be very close to Frankfurt am Main which is a BIG CITY with billions of things to do such as, Shopping opportunities, restaurants, clubs, a zoo and twice a year they always have a big fair with lots of rides and cotton candy Not to mention that you will be very close to the big airport incase of family and friends visiting you.
The German people are kind of hard to get used to. They can be pretty grouchie and a bit strict. You will meet a few ones who are nice though. I experianced germans as not very helpful and very hectic. Always on the run as if they would die tommorrow. The country it self has very beautiful views depending on where you go. Bavaria area is very green and nice. Then of course you have the strictly concrete areas. Like I said all depends on where you will be staying at. I know alot of americans who simply couldnt stand it being in germany and wouldnt talk about anything else but going back home to U.S. while other americans LOVED IT and a few ones even got out of the millitary and build their new lives over there. I always believed that it really depends on your self and what you make out of things.

I hope I was any help. If there is anything else you would like to know let me know and I will do my best to inform you. If you do go to Germany I wish you the best of luck.

TINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvel10 View Post
Hello Tina. I hope the preparation for your move is going smoothly. I recently married a soldier so this was my first military move and it was hectic =) But now I'll know what to expect for our next move. I moved here 2 months ago and we live right off post in Killeen. If you have the option I would opt for moving to Temple. I went there last week and there seems like there is much more to do there and many more oportunities for jobs. It's a little ways away from the post.. about 30 mins without traffic. But we moved closer to the post because there's a lot of traffic to get on post in the morning for my husband to go to work. Killeen is a very small town and there is not much to do. But there are shopping centers (Walmart, Target) and a small mall, and there are tons of restaurants. I heard that there are lakes near by but haven't gone yet.

But there are things to do once out of Killeen. I went to Austin and absolutely loved it. Too bad it is not closer to the post. I also went to San Antonio. When you move here I suggest the "River Walk" in San Antonio. It is beautiful especially around November and December with the Christmas lights. There's also things you can do closer to Killeen. There are cave tours and parks and frisby golf (I've never heard of it before moving here but it was a lot of fun).

Like you I was used to living by the ocean and having that ocean breeze so the humidity here is taking a little time to get used to. I heard the summer is very very very hot but I believe a lot of the homes here have AC so that's a relief.

I know it's a little off the subject but my husband would like to be stationed in Germany next. How is it there?

Well I hope everything goes well and the little bit of info I gave you helped. Good luck!

Old 05-11-2007, 01:51 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Just left Killeen/Fort Hood after 5 yrs. It was interesting to say the least.

One thing is the heat. It gets hot & stays hot for a LONG time. Last year August was almost all 100+ plus. But, everyone endures it, stays inside, drinks lots of liquids. Once fall/winter rolls around things get really nice & stay pleasant for about 3-4 months.

Couple things: do you know what division your hubby will be with? The reason I ask is due to deployment. If he will be w/ 4ID, he will deploy in the late summer/fall. If he is with CAV, then he may deploy for a few month b/c they are due back at the beginning of '08. 3rd ACR, well, they just got to Hood last year & I am not sure of their rotation.

If he is going to deploy asap or in the fall, you may want to rent an apt or something easy in case you want to go home to family. Lots stay around during the deployment, but lots also leave.

Personally, we wanted to stay closer to base due to PT traffic & just traffic in & out of the gate. Temple is a pretty good hike. He'd have about a 30-45 min drive to work [that includes peak time at the gate & traffic on I-35 which is the major interstate b/w Hood & Temple]. Copperas Cove has really reasonably priced homes but again, a little bit of a drive.

We lived at the Remington Aparmentts in Killeen for the whole time. About 10mins from post, safe & clean. Great maintenance staff & good rent prices. My husband could come home for lunch if he wanted & didn't have to bad of a drive at the end of the day.

Stay away from anything directly off post & anything that is considered "downtown". Not a good area. Any place the pizza guy can't deliver to at night is a bad sign

Hood is the largest post in the US, so you are bound to find many spouses from other countries. It is very large & just be prepared for a little culture shock. It takes some time to get use to, but once you do, you will see Killeen is very military-friendly & everyone understands one another b/c of being military.

There are many places to eat & shop right in the Killeen area. Not so much in Cove or Temple/Belton. Probably that way b/c the majority of soldiers live in Killeen itself.

I wasn't a huge fan of Killeen, but that is just my experience. I am from the midwest & missed trees & shade & foliage. Something Killeen lacks.

I also suggest NOT living on post. Lots of reasons for this & you can just find a better situation for yourself off of post.

There are some nice apartments & homes behind the WalMart & Target, but traffic there is a nightmare 24/7.

As you can tell, traffic was a big thing for us b/c Hood is so crowded.

It will be a change for you, but as a military wife, you will be surrounded by hundreds who know exactly the life that you live Best of luck!

Old 05-23-2007, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 14,357 times
Hi SweedDiva,
Where in Germany are you coming from. My husband and I are coming from Giessen, Germany also to Ft. Hood. So come June, we will both be exploring the base.
Also, My step dad is from Sweden. He is the Swedish consulate of San Diego. Small world.
See you at Hood.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:02 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,528 times
Ft. Hood is wonderful!! I was stationed there in 1996-1998. I loved it. I'm from Beaumont, Texas (originally) and I was only 4 hours from home!! So, if I wasn't on duty on the weekend or nothing else, I went home for that weekend and came back by Sunday night. I liked it.

Your best bet is to stay around Harker Heights area (great apartments and houses there and not very far; about a 10 minute drive to the base). You'll like it. It does get cold, but it's not horrible cold weather, as is the northern U.S. The summers are hot, but lovely. You can go down to Belton Lake and go swimming, boating, or fishing. It's only about a 30-40 minute drive from Ft. Hood...

Old 12-18-2008, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 12,152 times
Im heading there in a few months ive been there once just to visit and didnt like it at all but then again i didnt really go out. my only concern is why to avoid certain areas in Killeen. I come from Alaska which is totally different from the U.S. on a number of things. Im not being stationed or anything my Grandma has just retired there so im moving there to help raise my sis. and bro. im more concerned about the people there. im not really the club type but i hear the one there has been burned down a few times. its not like we dont have gang violence up here in fact in some cases its worse. I also come from a state that is extreemly diverse and while my grandma does live near the mall borderline Latin and Black neighborhood (we dont have those kinds of things here) i cant help but wonder if there are any precautions i should take just in general?

Old 05-14-2015, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,892 times
Hey everyone, I will be moving to Killeen Tx, due to my husband PCS'ing there. We are from Ft. Campbell. We have a 8 month son, so I am looking for some places that have a safe neighborhood as well as close to post. Also descent prices since I am a full time student. Any ideas or advice on where to look. 2 Bedroom is good 3 is good too. Thanks in Advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas