Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 05:30 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times

Advertisements

WestTexas87, I'll admit, it took bravery for you to take some risks to get some great pictures of the buildings, landmarks, and other things from a bygone era. And there's a chance someone out there might want to take a building in one of these ghost towns and possibly rebuild and make something new out of it, making the used useful once again. Towns don't necessarily have to wither away and die. They can become new again through the ideas and visions of others.

You just might inspire someone out there, amongst the gazillions of people who take time to read things on this site, to create something nobody thought ever could be. Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleplainrancher78 View Post
As the owner of the property upon which the Belle Plain College ruins are located, I would like to know who granted you permission to enter my property and take photographs. At no time in the last 5 years has anyone been granted permission to enter or photograph any portion the property from within the property lines withour myself or a member of family present. I do not appreciate the fact that you entered my property without permission. You completely disregarded the purple posts (which in TX indicate private property and serve as a posting for NO TRESPASSING), and the No Trepassing signs, and in a total lack of respect for my family and my property entered unlawfully.
Despite the Historical markers, Belle Plain is NOT a public access property. As a college graduate with a BA in History, you should be aware with the ethics involved in viewing or visiting historic sites that are located on private property. I have a masters in history and work closely with the Texas State Historical Commission, and am well aware of those ehtical pratices that your professors at ACU should have taught you.
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
the place sucks anyway - not worth the drive or having to deal with the snakes/purple posts/bitter land "owners" etc.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,195 times
Default Burkett

my daddy grew up in Burkett, Glen Chambers or also known as Genny or Harold Glen and my grand daddy was the principal and basketball coach from the beginning to the end of Burkett schools. My daddy always had such wonderful memories and beautiful stories to tell us about Burkett. We lost daddy November 3 2013 at the age of 76. He and my mother were married for 59yrs, my mother is Billie Halmon Chambers. My grand parents Walter and Lela Muriel Chambers and My aunt Jaunita chambers and my uncle Charlie Eddington are all resting in the Burkett Cemetary. I attended the Burkett homecoming the last 2 times in 2010 and 2012 with my daddy. My aunt Aleta chambers coleman and olene chambers johnson are still living and both were born at Burkett. When my daddy died he took alot of the Burkett history with him as some of it i am sure was never recorded. I am quite sure i am related to some of the 30 people that still call Burkett home. I am sad to see your comments about it being eery as in my daddys stories it was a beautiful and neat fun and great education earned from Burkett. what you referred to as the Burkett School is the only the gymnasium / auditorium. as the rest of the school is no longer standing due to a tornado that came thru several years ago. I am 47yrs old and have been going to or thru Burkett my entire life and do not recall ever seeing anything other than the building that is still standing. it is locked up due to the vandals that would come thru and destroy such history and people shacking up in the building. a few years ago someone bought the house my daddy and his brother and sisters grew up in and had it moved but i was lucky enough some 15yrs ago or so to get to go inside of it just once for a brief tour. i would love to be able to go inside the old stores as i have been in all the churches. thank you for posting the pictures as i could hear my daddy telling me the story about each location / stores and who owned them and such.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:43 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,140 times
Looks like Texas chain saw needs to tape there ohh spooky!!!

AMAZING PICS THOUGH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas