Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 07:14 PM

35 posts, read 86,357 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My name is Marissa. I'm 27 and just finished my paralegal certification, in addition to the four-year degree in psychology I already possess. The job market here in SE Michigan is very, very bad right now. Some are already calling it a depression. My cousin, Amy, got a job in Austin working for the Governor and tells me the job market is much better. How do Texans feel about Michiganders? Do you think I'd be able to find a decent job relatively quickly? What are the best areas to move to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 08:06 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Would you have a better chance of the job you want in Michigan? Yes, the job market is better in Texas than many places in the U.S. And you might note from plenty of posts in the forum there are lots of people with the same idea as you so the competition for jobs will be real. But jobs can be had.

There's been lots of Michiganders move to Texas. I met some in the 70/80's migration. I found that Michganders had a better attitude about their move to Texas than other from elsewhere. They seemed to fit in better and appreciate their new lives. If you like Texas, Texans will like you.

There are three very major metros in Texas, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston/Galveston and San Antonio/Austin, each with its own economies. The choice for moving to anyone of them is entirely a personal perspective. It depends on what you want. You would do well to make some searches on psychology or para-legal for info on the job markets. If you don't like your choice you can always move to another metro.

Before you do anything else you should send off for your Texas Travel Guide. It's FREE ! ! !

Old 06-21-2009, 03:02 AM

3,542 posts, read 8,245,491 times
I'm from Michigan myself and moved to Texas. So far, I've been welcomed with nothing but open arms. It's such a shame to see what is happening there since Michigan is truly a beautiful state.

What criteria other than employment are you looking for as far as livability in a city? It's a big state and there is a lot of variety depending on where you go. Are you looking for a/an:
-Urban/Suburban/Rural setting
-Nightlife
-Family friendly area
-Natural beauty
-Public Transportation?

With those questions answered, it will be a little easier to narrow down what city in Texas will fit your needs. Make sure you can ensure employment prior to moving here. While the economy may not be nearly as bad as SE Michigan's, we're still affected by the economic downturn.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:54 PM

What part of Michigan did you move from? I live in Macomb Township, which is about 20 miles north of Detroit. I have one friend in Dallas right now and one in Austin. They both tell me they like where they live. I'm looking to live somewhere that's more urban. I'm very skeptical about relocating as I am not Republican and I know this is red-state central. That's why I am doing my homework right now. I don't want to be steered off-course by something as silly as that but at the same time, I want to make sure I am considering an area where I know I will fit in.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:43 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
It's a red state because we believe in working for things as opposed to having things handed to us by the government. It's a stereotype that people will harass you for being a democrat here, in any city and even some smaller towns. My next door neighbor is from Michigan, a democrat, but one of the coolest, give the shirt off his back kind of guys ever. I think that's why people from Michigan fit in so well here. You'd probably think he was a redneck if you saw him. He's always working in his yard shirtless, drinks beer in the driveway with the neighbors and drives a big pickup truck.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:56 PM

362 posts, read 1,044,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
You'd probably think he was a redneck if you saw him. He's always working in his yard shirtless, drinks beer in the driveway with the neighbors and drives a big pickup truck.
Sounds like the Michigan that I know. There are truly genuine people in MI, and I've had no problem adapting here in Austin. There are some things that take getting used to, but I'm very happy about my decision to relocate to this area.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:23 PM

Okay, I totally just decided to stop flirting with this living in Texas idea. You people wouldn't like me one bit. But you've never been an intellectual state. BTW FYI not all Dems are lazy!

Old 06-21-2009, 04:14 PM

26 posts, read 79,260 times
Default Need To Educate Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarissaInMichigan View Post
Okay, I totally just decided to stop flirting with this living in Texas idea. You people wouldn't like me one bit. But you've never been an intellectual state. BTW FYI not all Dems are lazy!
Marissa. I have followed your inputs and would encourage you to come to Texas and judge it for yourself. I did not care for your last tho. Do not forget that Michigan is hardly seen as the center of enlightenment, but as the core of Liberal mismangement and a state which has taxed many industies and citizens to the point where they see no way of achieving financial success. Come to Texas for a new life, but leave your old ideologies behind!

Old 06-21-2009, 04:26 PM

I'm sorry about that last post... it's just that I have never been to Texas so all I can go on is what I hear. I'm sure it's a great place to live for most. I didn't mean any disrespect.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:57 PM

26 posts, read 79,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarissaInMichigan View Post
I'm sorry about that last post... it's just that I have never been to Texas so all I can go on is what I hear. I'm sure it's a great place to live for most. I didn't mean any disrespect.
Many people think they know Texans and Texas from the way Hollywood has portrayed us in movies, as rednecks and hicks. You will be suprised how genuine the people are and how great Texas is. People come here and reinvent themselves. Probably 2/3s of the people I work with are not native to Texas, but almost eveyone I know appreciates it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas