Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2007, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 35,322 times

Advertisements

We're looking to move to a rural area in Central Texas -- probably Caldwell, Bastrop, Lee, Fayette, or Milam Counties. Can anyone recommend really great towns (or warn us about places to avoid!)? If you have a town you love or hate, please tell me why
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 10:29 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times
I don't think I like central Texas, period. It's just not me. Partly because within that whole entire area there is not enough to do. Killeen and Copperas Cove might be exceptions only because of the fact that they have good churches, one okay soul food restaurant, and Killeen has quite a few quality small businesses. But other than that there's nothing. The Killeen Mall used to be a lot of fun to go to, but now whenever I visit it's usually a pretty dull trip (except for the Chick-fil-A). I'm just glad I no longer live there.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:47 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
People move to Central Texas' small towns to get away from "things to do". They want a small town feel, a place where people call you by your first name, where the bakery opens at 5am and closes at 1pm. "Things to do" are things like working on your ranch, enjoying the bright stars at night, breathing the clean air and visiting your neighbors for coffee and games. Everything is slow there, but that's the way they like it.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:37 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
People move to Central Texas' small towns to get away from "things to do". They want a small town feel, a place where people call you by your first name, where the bakery opens at 5am and closes at 1pm. "Things to do" are things like working on your ranch, enjoying the bright stars at night, breathing the clean air and visiting your neighbors for coffee and games. Everything is slow there, but that's the way they like it.
You are ever so correct, and I believe ruralgal is looking for such. Those you mentioned are the "things to do" that I love, the simple but special things in life. Malls and restaurants are a dime a dozen in this nation, but wide open spaces, bright stars, clean air, etc. are not.

TexasNick, you are a prize and one of these days if it hasn't happened already, one lucky young lady will find you and you two will truly know what living is all about. She is going to be one very lucky girl.

ruralgal ~~ I know nothing about the counties you mentioned. One county I really like is Bosque and two small towns in it are very nice. There are others I'm sure, but I'm really only familiar with Clifton and Meridian. Another one is Cranfills Gap, but it's extremely small. I like it too and would live outside of any of them. I'm just not much for living in any town; it has got to be outside of a town for me.

Be careful though if you do consider Bosque. One of the proposed plans of that blasted Trans-Texas Highway is going to be right through Bosque, so far a pretty unspoiled place. It will totally break my heart should they choose that plan, one of many they're considering.

If I don't end up in the Hill Country, I'm seriously considering Bosque but not until I'm sure that it doesn't get ruined by a huge highway.

Last edited by KewGee; 04-15-2007 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: corrected a word

Old 04-15-2007, 09:35 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
Is that still in the works? Haven't heard anything about it lately. That's really what we need, a super highway running through the state!!

Only thing about Meridan, etc. is rock (limestone), prickley pear, rattlesnakes! Try to dig a hole...ROCK! I'm talking huge prickley pear, and yeah buddy, there are snakes!

Old 04-15-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Is that still in the works? Haven't heard anything about it lately. That's really what we need, a super highway running through the state!!

Only thing about Meridan, etc. is rock (limestone), prickley pear, rattlesnakes! Try to dig a hole...ROCK! I'm talking huge prickley pear, and yeah buddy, there are snakes!
I'm pretty sure it's still in the works as I haven't heard anything differently. There's a really long thread somewhere on this forum about the entire highway from Mexico to Canada and the proposed plans are still up on the web.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Well when I said "things to do" I meant like family and kids' activities. You don't want the kids to be bored. There's only a portion of Central Texas that is rural, but a good deal of it is urban. Even Florence, one of the smallest towns in the area still has a little urban feel.

I just think that if you're going to live somewhere rural it should have a heavily populated area not too far off in the distance. You never know what you'll need or want.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 35,322 times
TexasNick, you described it perfectly. We WANT a rural lifestyle. As for the kids being bored - that's what ranch work is for!

I probably should have been clearer when I first posted. I understand the pros and cons of rural life in general. I'm looking for information about the personality of different towns, or issues like nearby industrial plants causing pollution or an unusual crime rate for a small town, or anything else that doesn't fall into the category of "just your average rural town."

On the Trans-Texas Corridor - yes, that is still in the works. There's a lot of activity in the Texas Legislature right now, I think the best site to keep track of that is www.CorridorWatch.com.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruralgal View Post
TexasNick, you described it perfectly. We WANT a rural lifestyle. As for the kids being bored - that's what ranch work is for!

I probably should have been clearer when I first posted. I understand the pros and cons of rural life in general. I'm looking for information about the personality of different towns, or issues like nearby industrial plants causing pollution or an unusual crime rate for a small town, or anything else that doesn't fall into the category of "just your average rural town."

On the Trans-Texas Corridor - yes, that is still in the works. There's a lot of activity in the Texas Legislature right now, I think the best site to keep track of that is www.CorridorWatch.com.
Do you want to be close, but seperate to a big town? Or do you want to be completely isolated from any dense area?

Old 04-15-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruralgal View Post

Great site. Thanks!! I just can't believe they're going to ruin more unspoiled land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas