Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2007, 05:37 AM

10 posts, read 33,709 times

Advertisements

I would first like to say Good Morning to everyone today...
My husband's employer has offered us a chance to transfer out to Ft. Stockton area-we currently live in PA(northeast corner) and are about ready for a change. He is a truck driver and the weather has finally started to get to him-the cold, the snow, the ice-we are sick of it. We have 2 children-10 and 6. We know it is hot and dry there-must be better than freezing cold or humid all summer(all 2 months of it). My husband had lived in the desert for 3 years when he was in the service and really enjoyed it. The way of life out here is getting to intense-we have ALOT of city folk(NY and NJ)moving here-the pace of life is getting very fast-and the crime and drugs in the area is getting worse and more gang related.
What my question is-Is this area just a nice place to live? I'm not looking for a big city-our current town is rural(40 minutes to nearest Walmart, etc.)-we want a clean and quiet place to slow down and enjoy life. Can I find this out there?
Thank you in advance for your take on this idea...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 07:45 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
There's a Hollywood movie coming out which is based in Fort Stockton starring Tommy Lee Jones and some other well known actors. It takes place in Fort Stockton and the book gives you a good feel for the area, however, it's based on a drug cartel...

Anyways, the area...never been there, but if you like to have lots of space, clean living and a very laid back atmosphere, then the place is for you! I heard it's kind of like Marfa...and lots of New Yorkers are buying up land there. Go figure. Enjoy

Old 04-15-2007, 02:25 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,661 times
I really don't like Fort Stockton at all. It is so unattractive looking. If you don't mind the desert, you might like Alpine, Fort Davis, or Van Horn. At least they're a bit nicer looking. I think though that one would have to travel to Fort Stockton for Wal-Mart.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:12 PM

Default We might be moving to Ft. Stockton...

OK-we have picked Ft. Stockton to move to because that is where my husbands trucking run is based out of. From what I can see on the maps-the nearby towns are 30 or MORE miles away-so no thank you. I already live a far drive to any good shopping (including just a walmart)...
As far as it being un-attractive--I've lived in and around plenty of not so pretty towns-ever seen an industry town from the Northeast?-the veiw has got to be better/cleaner.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:13 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,051 times
Default Ft Stockton

I think I've been there about 3 times, once overnight. Can't recommend it. Quite isolated, drab (more than most west Texas towns), substantial Hispanic population (problematic for many Anglos), etc. I seem to recall that this town went down in population almost 1000 people between 1990-2000 or so. That's alot when you only have about 8000 to begin with, so there may be problems there.
Visit for a day or two. I certainly understand your reasons for wanting out of your present situation and place. Ain't those city folk from NYC and NJ just great? But I think there are alot of other nice places in the southwest/west Texas you could check out that would be better than FS. Is that your husband's only option??

Old 04-16-2007, 07:10 AM

Poconolady, is there any chance you guys could visit the area before committing to it on paper?

Old 04-16-2007, 01:21 PM

We may be able to visit this weekend-we will find out today is the transfer is approved. We were thinking of flying out to scope out the RV parks as we would be bringing our 31 ft. camper out to stay in for a couple of months-we already know that there are no available apt.'s or good homes for sale. We were actually thinking of buying 3 or 4 acres outside of town and putting up a house. The housing costs out there are so much more affordable than around here. As far as FS being our only option... my husbands trucking run is right out of a truck stop in FS, and we do not want to be 30 or 40 miles from were he will be going to work every night. We are kind-of looking for a place away from everything crazy going on in this world to live. Also, I'm thinking it doesn't snow there to much-as I look out the window now-we have 6 inches and it is still snowing.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:25 PM

You will have no problem finding cheap land, especially for a camper.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:53 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
I'm not sure that Fort Stockton will make all that good of a first impression on you, but West Texas has a way of getting under your skin--in a good way. You'll be close to Big Bend, one of the coolest places on the planet and also the Guadalupe Mountains. Wish I could snap my fingers and be there right now. You'll also be close to Fort Davis, and Balmorrhea State Park.

So, when you drive into Ft. Stockton, even if your first thought is "no way," you should, if at all possible, drive into Big Bend because it is really magnificent. If you all are at all into camping, hiking, canoeing, rafting, cycling, etc., that whole area has a lot to offer, even if you have to drive a couple of hours to get there. While I don't think I would ever choose to live in Ft. Stockton because I like bigger cities, there are definitely worse places to live. Good luck with your trip!

Old 04-17-2007, 05:19 PM

Thank you to all who replied to my questions...My husband did not get the transfer-a senior employee beat him out of it. There is still plenty of chances in the future-hopefully one day we will be able to get out of the NE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas