Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2007, 02:28 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I haven't heard about this annexing issue, do you have any links? I'd like to read more about it...
Well, when I lived there, almost everyone knew that if they weren't already in the City of Katy, Sugar Land, etc., they were going to be annexed by Houston. Places like Cinco Ranch and the Woodlands sits in Houston ETJ zone. They may have addresses from other cities, but it will change. Houston has already annexed a lot of shopping centers along the freeway to increases its tax base. It hasn't annexed the residential, because it doesn't want too many conservatives in the city (the City of Houston is actually pretty liberal; Harris County is different).

Old 04-20-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Well I actually love the Neiman's flagship store in Dallas, and I'm not ashamed to say it! Now as far as them being snobby, you have to let them know that it's you who is helping them and not them helping you. They want your money and nothing makes them more upset if they can't have it. Neiman's rival isn't Foley's or Macy's, though. It's Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue, Barney's (Houston doesn't have one yet), and often times, Bloomingdale's. These are where I shop. Foley's and Macy's are more the stores for moderate incomes. Dallas has more of the fancy stores, but Houston has the fancier stores.
A Barney's is opening up in the Galleria. I read it a while back actually. It won't be a flagship, just a co-op. An expansion can happen (once the Galleria expands).

Dallas brings in more domestic shoppers from Oklahoma, Northern Louisiana, and Arkansas, who can't find the stores anywhere else near them. Houston brings in a lot more international shoppers from Mexico and Latin America.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:43 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
A Barney's is opening up in the Galleria. I read it a while back actually. It won't be a flagship, just a co-op. An expansion can happen (once the Galleria expands).

Dallas brings in more domestic shoppers from Oklahoma, Northern Louisiana, and Arkansas, who can't find the stores anywhere else near them. Houston brings in a lot more international shoppers from Mexico and Latin America.
Well there you have it. We officially have all the stores they do, and then some. Only I heard that a Berdgorf Goodman might be coming to Dallas. One might guess that they draw this popular attention from the fact that Neimans is hq'd in Dallas and that they have four more billionaires than we do. But I think that if we were to get a BG's, it along with the new Barney's should go downtown. Everything doesn't have to be in the Galleria.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:52 PM

That is where the major shopping is.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
That is where the major shopping is.
Well yeah, true, but it doesn't have to be. That's what I'm saying. If you go to New York, all the best shopping isn't just on Fifth Avenue, so why should all of Houston's major shopping be in the Galleria. Putting some major shopping attractions downtown would make it way more popular and more centralized like they claim to be doing.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:12 PM

Once the Downtown Houston projects start coming along, then Houston will have more than just one shopping destination in its central core. The Galleria will always be the upscale shopping option in inner Houston, though. Downtown will be more "family-friendly".

Old 04-20-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Once the Downtown Houston projects start coming along, then Houston will have more than just one shopping destination in its central core. The Galleria will always be the upscale shopping option in inner Houston, though. Downtown will be more "family-friendly".
Well I hope that won't forever be true. As advanced as it is, it's time for Houston to move into a different direction. If it doesn't then it's going to continue to repel people who are used to the New Yorks, the Chicagos, the Bostons, the Londons, and the San Fransiscos. More upscale opportunities means a more suave and savvy downtown worth the visit.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:26 PM

Downtown Houston will become upscale, but maybe not a Galleria upscale.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:29 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,446,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Only I heard that a Berdgorf Goodman might be coming to Dallas.
Bergdorf Goodman is owned by NM. It is just one store on Fifth Avenue on Manhattan. The only Bergdorf Goodman branch store in White Plains(?) turned into a Neiman Marcus. From the website BG seems to sell the same stuff as NM but with very slight differences.

I hope Bloomingdale's (or is it bloomingdale's) comes back to Texas at the Houston Galleria this time. I've always wanted to see what they sell but the trip there has always been thwarted. Its too bad Nordstrom didn't open 10 years ago here instead at the Dallas Galleria.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Downtown Houston will become upscale, but maybe not a Galleria upscale.
Well they've started with the housing, now they need some organic markets (yes), another Neimans, and like I said about the Barney's and the BG's. These would be a great start for downtown, and it might mean not having to fight the Galleria crowd just to shop in those stores. I know I would love that. Because you have the SoHo, Greenwich, and Madison Avenue regulars who come down to the Galleria and are like, "wtf?" This is just my opinion, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas