Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 12:58 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Dallas has a larger arts scene.
Houston has a larger music/theatre scene.

Dallas has a larger finance/ IT sector.
Houston has a larger oil/ natural gas sector.

Dallas has a tourist industry.
Houston has virtually no tourist industry.

Dallas has the Cowboys.
Houston has the Texans.
Actually...

Houston ranks 3rd in the country in amount of fine arts museum space, so not too shabby in the arts. Just one example.

People tend to focus on the oil industry in Houston, yet the city's largest employer is actually the Texas Medical Center (largest grouping of hospitals and medical research in the country).

Houston does have some tourist industry -- Kemah, some downtown attractions, NASA...

Does anyone in Houston pay much attention to the Texans? I'd rather watch the Astros or Rockets...

Old 04-17-2007, 01:11 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I'm a proud native and resident of the City of Dallas, so I may be a bit prejudiced.

I worked in Houston for a couple of years for Mobil and my current employer has an office there also.

It boils down to this, IMO:

Dallas has class;

Houston has brass.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:20 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Actually...

Houston ranks 3rd in the country in amount of fine arts museum space, so not too shabby in the arts. Just one example.

People tend to focus on the oil industry in Houston, yet the city's largest employer is actually the Texas Medical Center (largest grouping of hospitals and medical research in the country).

Houston does have some tourist industry -- Kemah, some downtown attractions, NASA...

Does anyone in Houston pay much attention to the Texans? I'd rather watch the Astros or Rockets...
(Houston is also second, after New York, for music and theater venues. That says a lot.)

I do believe there are several Texans fans. No matter what team comes here, you have citizens who are so pro-Houston that they'll support them regardless. Look at New York's teams. They SUCK! Lol, but they have millions of city residents who are very very loyal. But we all know that all they have to do is win a few important games and then half the city will jump on the Houston Texans bandwagon.

Now, as far as basketball goes, I'm all about the Spurs. Sorry lol.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:32 PM

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...n1.365b84e.html (broken link)

Dallas-Fort Worth rides rising tide
Region wins state bragging rights over Houston area

By PAUL FOUTCH / The Dallas Morning News
pfoutch@dallasnews.com

The urge to rank everything is our No. 1 pet peeve, but for those keeping score, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. dethroned Exxon Mobil Corp. atop the Fortune 500 list released Monday, and Dallas-Fort Worth topped the Houston area in the number of companies listed.

D-FW placed 24 companies in the Fortune 500, the fourth-highest among U.S. metro areas, displacing Houston, the perennial No. 4, which came in with 23.

D-FW added two companies to Fortune magazine's annual ranking of the nation's largest companies – GameStop Corp. of Grapevine and XTO Energy Inc. of Fort Worth. Houston lost a company whose revenue dipped.

"Houston has historically outranked us," said Lyssa Jenkens, chief economist at the Greater Dallas Chamber.

"Where we have an advantage over Houston is we continue to attract relocations of companies that are Fortune 500 or Fortune 1,000 companies," she said, citing construction services giant Fluor Corp.'s relocation to Irving two years ago and Comerica Inc.'s recent announcement that it will move here from Detroit.

D-FW ranks No. 3 in total revenue of Fortune 500 companies, thanks in large part to Irving-based Exxon Mobil and its $347.3 billion in revenue in 2006.

But low-price retailer Wal-Mart, which is based in Bentonville, Ark., posted $351.1 billion in revenue.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post

pfoutch@dallasnews.com

The urge to rank everything is our No. 1 pet peeve, but for those keeping score, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. dethroned Exxon Mobil Corp. atop the Fortune 500 list released Monday, and Dallas-Fort Worth topped the Houston area in the number of companies listed.

D-FW placed 24 companies in the Fortune 500, the fourth-highest among U.S. metro areas, displacing Houston, the perennial No. 4, which came in with 23.

D-FW added two companies to Fortune magazine's annual ranking of the nation's largest companies – GameStop Corp. of Grapevine and XTO Energy Inc. of Fort Worth. Houston lost a company whose revenue dipped.

"Houston has historically outranked us," said Lyssa Jenkens, chief economist at the Greater Dallas Chamber.

"Where we have an advantage over Houston is we continue to attract relocations of companies that are Fortune 500 or Fortune 1,000 companies," she said, citing construction services giant Fluor Corp.'s relocation to Irving two years ago and Comerica Inc.'s recent announcement that it will move here from Detroit.

D-FW ranks No. 3 in total revenue of Fortune 500 companies, thanks in large part to Irving-based Exxon Mobil and its $347.3 billion in revenue in 2006.

But low-price retailer Wal-Mart, which is based in Bentonville, Ark., posted $351.1 billion in revenue.
Somethings don't seem right about these "facts," so I'll have to look into that, but it doesn't matter anyway. Everytime, and I do mean EVERYTIME, people try to compare the two areas, they always compare the Dallas area to Houston the city. But the single city is no match for Houston in this area. Besides, I don't think that the poster who wanted to know in depth about the city is concerned with all of this, so why bother posting it?

Old 04-17-2007, 02:15 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Somethings don't seem right about these "facts," so I'll have to look into that, but it doesn't matter anyway. Everytime, and I do mean EVERYTIME, people try to compare the two areas, they always compare the Dallas area to Houston the city. But the single city is no match for Houston in this area. Besides, I don't think that the poster who wanted to know in depth about the city is concerned with all of this, so why bother posting it?
The quoted article compares the Houston metro with Dallas metro. Some of the Fortune 500 companies in Houston are in fact outside the city limits, like in The Woodlands and such. It's a fair comparison. Incidentally, next year, Dallas will tack another one to it's list: Comerica.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:

pfoutch@dallasnews.com

Just as I thought...

Houston came in with 22 F500...Dallas came in with 11.

Fortune 500 races: 2007 (broken link)

It should also be noted that even though Exxon-Mobil is headquarted in DFW, a majority of its employees are in Houston.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
The quoted article compares the Houston metro with Dallas metro. Some of the Fortune 500 companies in Houston are in fact outside the city limits, like in The Woodlands and such. It's a fair comparison. Incidentally, next year, Dallas will tack another one to it's list: Comerica.
Actually, I wasn't talking about the economy side of it. I was speaking of the cities in general. For someone looking for a cosmopolitan lifestyle in Texas, Houston is the place for that. I'll give Dallas the fact that there are more (not better) places to shop for exclusive items, but that's about it. Dallas is so infrugal and pretentious, it's not even funny. And no other city in America acts like that.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:53 PM

Houston has nothing like our Uptown for a cosmopolitan lifestyle.

Where did you get the idea that Houstonians are frugal?

Old 04-17-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Houston has nothing like our Uptown for a cosmopolitan lifestyle.

Where did you get the idea that Houstonians are frugal?
Are you serious?? Uptown Houston is one of the most popular areas in the south, known worldwide. Our Uptown is even larger than Atlanta's downtown. Dallas' Uptown is hardly even noticeable; furthermore, Uptown Houston is close by the most expensive neighborhood in Texas. Let's remember that it has the second largest shopping mall in the south, and second largest number of stores in the entire U.S. (this mall that Dallas attempted to emulate). Houston is also home to some of the highest class European designer luxury fashion houses...that Dallas doesn't have. So Dallas is not more cosmo. Some of it is, but most of it is just a facade. Ask just about anybody in the Texas forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas