Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 09:53 AM

206 posts, read 503,571 times

Advertisements

As part of my research on relocating to Texas I am curious about the bird hunting. Am looking at the area from FW to Abilene as far north as Young county and south to Comanche. Also am looking at land off the Cap rock, Crosby-Dickens and surrounding counties. Is there plentiful upland birds? dove, quail, pheasant, prairie chicken. Are there any Chukar partridge established in the canyon terrains? Hows the duck and goose hunting? seems I heard theres lots of snow goose areas in Texas. Are there hunt-able public lands for any of these game species? Thanks bman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 04:52 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
dove are plentiful throughout the state. Any stock tank near a field of sunflowers or milo are ideal places to hunt. generally speaking, most doves north of I-10 are going to be morning doves, and as you move further south, you'll see more whitewings. there is also a non native population of ringnecks are becoming increasingly more common, but they still aren't as well established as morning/whitewings. if you do kill one, they won't count towards your limit as they aren't native to the US.

Quail numbers have been down in recent years due to droughts across the central and western central parts of the state. As you move into the trans pecos region and south texas, you'll encounter blue quail. Bobwhites are far more common statewide however and can be found in the western two thirds of the state.

We've got pheasants, but you'll have to go to the panhandle to hunt them. I've never seen them any place else in Texas except the panhandle praries from Lubbock northward.

Ducks can be killed anywhere in the state on land that has stock tanks. Geese are thick in the coastal rice fields. Eagle Pass and El Campo are prime locations. Public hunting land can be found at the Texas Parks and Wildlife website.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/

Old 06-28-2009, 09:31 AM

206 posts, read 503,571 times
thanks Pat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas