Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 02:52 PM

8 posts, read 34,405 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to the Tyler/Longview area. We have 2 children age 13 and 6. My husband will be working in Kilgore so we need to live within 30 minutes of Kilgore. I am wanting information about the surrounding towns. Can anyone help me with which area/town has the better schools, better shopping, and better housing? Also, my son plays football. Are there any towns with better football teams? Any help with deciding which town we should live in would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 02:58 PM

595 posts, read 2,721,716 times
The first thing I would do is go do a search and read everything about the E Texas area. There is a lot of it here on citi-data. I would love to help you but I don't have any boys who play football. I only have girls. Where are you coming from?

Old 07-05-2009, 05:55 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
OK, here goes. But only an abbreviated version. I am, no doubt, biased toward Tyler. But I even get tired of sharing with everyone who asks this question. But I'm very modes and humble, yes and am very proud of my "humbelness" lol. I may just know more than most lol,lol but it's been one of my long lifetime 63 years hobbies. I will not say anything bad about Longview. I like it !! Have many friends who I work with in Tyler from Longview.

Now Tyler. Ahh, the most important part HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL. Well Longview High is very very, good. They finished in the State 4A finals last year. Year after year very very good. Robert E. Lee is very competive 5A School state 5A Champ in 2004 always play tough schools year after year. Ranked high pretty often. Lee opens with Lufkin and Longview this year. Now Tyler. Tyler is 20,000 - 25,000 population larger. Really is the medical center of East Texas. Only level one truma center in East Texas. Retires love Tyler because it is a debt free city with the lowest city property tax rate in the state of Texas of any city over 15,000 pop. Has the Uiverstiy of Texas Cowen Performing Arts Center that has National and International Performances that attract over 26,000 people annually. Tyler is known for it's Roses, the largest municpal rose garden the the country. But the spring flowers are even more beautiful, imo, the azaleas, dogwoods and etc, thousands come each spring from the DFW area.

I will let other tell you the suburban area schools are much better than Tyler or Longview. Also, just click on my many other posts for much more information, if you wish. I'll let orthers share. Welcome to East Texas ! Where are you moving from?

Tyler is a great place to buy a house, way over built now, many homes, a years worth of inventory is available - according to today's paper.

Well, as I look down the list at the other threads. I see you have have found at least one you started back up. You should have a lot of information now to "chew" on.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:33 PM

8 posts, read 34,405 times
Thanks for the help. My family and I are moving from Idaho. Wow the weather is different!!! LOL Are there any youth hockey teams around the Tyler/Longview area?

Old 07-05-2009, 07:56 PM

102 posts, read 429,745 times
What's hockey?

Old 07-06-2009, 09:04 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
I believe that answered that question. I think the nearest ice rink is in Dallas.
You will, however, find that high school football and "good" take on a whole different meaning in Texas as opposed to Ohio. Be prepared for that. Both Tyler and Longview are good cities.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 7,950 times
Is hockey like football?

Kidding.

We do like to say that Longview is full of rebel rousers since they can buy liquor in their town. My grandmother used to say that is where all the ****** tonks are. (didn't realize that was a bad word, so just think bars)

Old 01-17-2011, 03:31 PM

15 posts, read 46,497 times
There is hockey here, based in Kilgore. Although one kid who is very talented eventually moved to the Dallas area for better training.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:57 PM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,099 times
In Texas football is king.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas