Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:38 PM

185 posts, read 463,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano2828 View Post
Pawn shop and finance companies???? Yah I hate the way they prey on the most unfortunate. Well I have to tell you just like everyone else I have had my ups and downs. Mostly ups in the last 10 years which is great

Actually I graduated from UTSA not UTPA but I finished up my certification coursework at UTPA to be close to my family. Teaching in San Antonio is not only rewarding but it pays better than a lot of cities in Texas, in some cases a lot more! Two teachers living and working in the Valley can live very comfortable lives the problem I had in the valley was that I'm an art teacher and during the job fairs in 2003-2005 there just wasn't enogh art teaching jobs overthere. Consequently in San Antonio some school districts alone employ around 120 ART teachers in just one district!! And San Antonio has I believe 16 Independent School Districts.....is that a pro or a con??? not sure ask the lifetime residents here, something smells fishy but oh well, that's a thread for another day.

Having spent most of my life in the valley I do miss some of it, but I'm settling in real good here in San Antonio and love this city!! In the past 6 years I spent 2.5 years in Afghanistan working for th US Army in reconstruction efforts in certain provinces there so I've been in and out of the area but now I think I'm settling down pretty good.

BTW UTPANAM is growing and they have fine teachers there. Do they have a 2+2 program like they do here in san Antonio with the community colleges?

Good luck with you and your wive's endeavors and keep this in mind look into the districts that are close to the big cities they offer better living than inner city and still pay very good.

tell your wife to check here

TASA.net or google TASA

Texas needs 155 Math teachers right now Holy molly!!
My wife and I both started out at STCC, which is now STC, because they now offer 2 Bachelors degree programs, lol. STC has campuses in McAllen(3 different ones), Rio Grande, and Weslaco. And I haven't heard them called 2+2 programs, but yes they have the transfer programs. We both got our Associates, and transferred to Pan Am, to get our Bachelors.

Yea, many of my wifes friends from her Major course work actually got jobs before they graduated. Many many math teaching jobs around here, start out around $39,000. And they have that program where if you teach in a low income school for 5 years in like Math or Science, then they'll take away $17,000 of your school loans if you have them, which she does, so thats cool.

In the school that you teach, or have been teaching in, what is the approximate ratio of hispanics/whites/african americans/chinese/indios/etc.

As you know the schools down here are 95% Hispanic, so just wondering. Probably depends on what area of town, what district and all that.

Thanks for the website connection, TASA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 12:37 AM

33 posts, read 147,574 times
"No traffic on the expressway"

Wow, when do you drive it? (assuming you are refering to US83) 3:00 am in the morning? There is ALWAYS *alot* of traffic on either US 77 or 83--it is quite bad at peak times especially with the semis.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:04 AM

Its because I am used to driving in big cities, and when I moved down here to the valley, which is kind of country to me. I can set it on cruise control and drive from South Padre to La Joya, without ever having to slow down, so "No traffic on the expressway."

If you are from here, you may consider the light traffic on any of the highways down here crowded.

I can literally drive 15 miles at a very high rate of speed on any stretch of the valleys highways.
This cannot be said in Houston, Dallas, OKC, Austin, San Antonio.

One time it took me like 2 hours to go 25 miles in Houston.

funny, *alot*, and "quite bad", rush hour here is similar to Houston at midnight. It is ok to me though, if it seems crowded to me. Today on the way home from Edinburg to Mission, I love the empty highway, except on the curve from 281 to 83 west, when I have to slow down to around 40 for about a minute

Old 07-16-2009, 01:53 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,410,816 times
I would consider Houston traffic a "walk in the park" compared to the traffic in Munich, Germany. Lol kind of random to throw that out there, but Munich probably has some of the worst traffic in the world. Definently the worst I have ever been in. 3 1/2 hours to go 30 miles on the outside loop of Munich on the Autobahn is rediculous!

Old 07-16-2009, 05:14 PM

I thought the Autobahn was supposed to be for super fast cars, like no speed limit. But I believe you.

Still the Rio Grande Valley highway traffic is pleasant, hardly busy ever. Not to mention, and this is important to me, I hardly ever ever ever see anyone getting speeding tickets. Its almost like, just drive as fast as you wish, go ahead, just be safe.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:06 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,410,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Solis View Post
I thought the Autobahn was supposed to be for super fast cars, like no speed limit. But I believe you.

Still the Rio Grande Valley highway traffic is pleasant, hardly busy ever. Not to mention, and this is important to me, I hardly ever ever ever see anyone getting speeding tickets. Its almost like, just drive as fast as you wish, go ahead, just be safe.
Ya, that is the sad part. Lol. There is no speed limit yet traffic was bumper to bumper for 3 1/2 hours. I hope there was construction nearby or something, because if that is normal rush hour traffic for them, I will pray. Lol.

Also, I think instead of McAllen having its own police department, and Pharr and Edinburg, and all these other towns, Hildago Co. should just incorperate all the police and fire departments into one. Maybe McAllen Metro Police Department, or McAllen-Pharr-Edinburg PD. It would be M.P.E.P.D.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:11 AM

Making all departments into 1 is asking a lot. Your talking about many towns; Sullivan City, La Joya, Peñitas, Palmview, Mission, Alton, Palmhurst, Granjeno, McAllen, Pharr, Hidalgo, San Juan, Alamo, Edinburg, Donna, Weslaco, Edcouch, Elsa, etc. probably forgot some

Getting all these cities to agree on anything would require a direct order from God himself/herself.
You know how people love power down here. Right now each city has its own Mayor, Police Chief, City council members, etc., and to unite would mean less power for someone.

There is the Hidalgo County Sherriffs and Constables though, and down here you almost see them as much as the city police forces, but not very often on the highways for some reason. There is also many state troopers who roam around here. Then there is the many many border patrol, but they dont worry about giving speeding tickets, I've been stopped by them several times, but they just want to inspect your trunk, or the inside of your car, then they excuse themselves. Also, right now they have created a few undercover task forces which are becoming very common site to see. You see many cars being stopped by undercover cars, or suvs, no names on cars, no uniforms.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:58 AM

2,611 posts, read 3,589,354 times
Born and raised in the Valley. When i was young, there were many things i didn't like about the valley. We didn't have "Fox" so we couldn't watch the simpsons, there were like 3 english radio stations and the rest all spanish. We didn't have too many big name stores or restraunts. But all that has changed. I was born in Harlingen and moved to Mission, until about 5 years ago when I moved to McAllen,a nd having visit Harlingen often to see some family, Mcallen has really changed so much. There is more variety in music now and Tv. We have some pretty decent size events and concerts in Dodge Arena. I like the changes and would stay here EXCEPT for the weather. TOO HOT! And that will unfortunately never change, at least not in my lifetime. So Colorado it is! Next year.

P.S. It's not as bad as people make it seem.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,914 times
I was wondering, what are the teaching jobs like? I am coming from California and have a family house down in Port Isabel so a large amount of rent expenses aren't a problem for me (so jobs that pay not so much to start out with isn't a problem). Also, I am looking for a bilingual teaching job....hehe came to the right place eh? But then no...because I have noticed jobs ARE scant but.....ANYwhoo

I also happen to be from the area and remember living in Mission and Port Isabel. For whatever its faults, I wouldn't mind living there at least a few years. I don't think the valley is that bad and all I remember is how much I loved my childhood there. And oh speaking of traffic....L.A. traffic beats it ALL lol. If you can survive a drive in downtown L.A....anything else is a cakewalk

I think I am built for living in the valley. I can speak Spanish fluently, I have always lived in hot places, I am willing to at least for a few years live with a salary that is less than stellar....and I am DESPERATE to live in a place that doesn't have a population of 9.8 million in one county :/ Hehe so I can't speak ill of the valley, it's not so bad.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:24 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
^ Sounds like it will be fine for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas