Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 08:24 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,505 times

Advertisements

I currently attend Tarleton State, but Stephenville just isn't big enough. Not to mention that the job prospects are tough when half of the entire town population is a student. After the fall semester, I was thinking about transferring to Angelo State or Texas Tech. I'm leaning towards Tech, because it seems to be a more prestigious institution. At the same time, ASU is a part of the Tech system and I could easily transfer to Lubbock for my last year of school, just to have Tech be the awarding institution of my bachelors degree (wildlife management major). The benefits of doing that would be spending less on tuition. Both San Angelo and Lubbock are substantially larger than Stephenville, so I figured finding a part time job would be easier. Plus, the town of Stephenville pretty much dies during the summer. I had been doing some general ranch work where I live, but the roping cattle they raise aren't selling so well and my hours have been cut back substantially.

Anyone that attended ASU or Tech, feel free to chime in. Also, if you live in either area, or have lived there in the past, tell me your likes and dislikes about the places. I've been to San Angelo before. Our deer lease is actually just east of that area, Paint Rock in Concho County. I like it out there. Never been to Lubbock, but I've been through the Panhandle a few times. How bad are the dust storms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 08:41 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,336 times
You generally have to get 3-4 semesters at a school to receive a degree from there.

If you want to graduate from Tech I don't know why you'd stop over in San Angelo--it seems pretty pointless.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:08 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,330 times
I'm no expert on San Angelo, but I have been there a few times, and I live in Lubbock, so I'll do my best to give an accurate comparison.

Lubbock seems to be more of a college town than San Angelo just because Tech is so much larger and thus connected more to the identity of the city. Lubbock has more to offer in job opportunities, shopping, entertainment, etc., but it is a little farther away from the larger cities in Texas. San Angelo wins in the scenery department, with the Concho River and nearby hills as opposed to the flat farmland near Lubbock. (However, the landscape just off the Caprock looks similar to that around San Angelo.) I believe both cities have the same amount of dust stroms. I've lived with them my whole life, and I'm still weirded out by them, with the freaky sound of the whistling wind and the pink skies. They are becoming less common lately, with only a few days a year being like this. Overall, I would say that if you like San Angelo, you would like Lubbock, though that is a big assumption on my part. That's all I can think of to add to your current knowledge. Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:35 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,030,752 times
I got my Bachelor's degree at Texas Tech and several years later got my Master's degree at Angelo State so I have attended both universities. San Angelo is a nice town and I enjoyed going to ASU but I would highly recommend Tech. There are a LOT more things to do at Tech and in Lubbock if you're a college student. Like the LoneRanger said above I would not go to ASU just for a year, I'd only go there if I planned to graduate from there. The TTU campus is not only much larger but is more lively as well. There are far more activities and special events for students on campus as well (concerts, guest speakers, etc.) Even though ASU has traditional students there are a lot of commuters that take night classes at ASU while they work elsewhere in San Angelo. I did the same thing while I was there. Tech is large major university that doesn't have that "commuter" feel to it. If sports are your thing, Tech also has the big advantage. Those Big12 football games at Jones stadium are awesome and the basketball games are pretty good too (even though legendary coach Bobby Knight recently retired I'm sure the games are still good). As far as likes/dislikes about each city I would say I slightly preferred the weather in San Angelo (less cold in the winters) but other than that, I liked each city equally. Lubbock is much larger of course but not too big like the metroplex for example. Anyway, hope all this helps, if I can help any further just let me know!

Old 07-18-2009, 12:18 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,051 times
Echoing loneranger, I believe you would have to go to TTU longer than "a year" to expect a diploma from Tech. I don't know how it works since ASU is now part of the Tech system but I don't think it would change that requirement much. Also, required courses for your major MUST be completed at Tech.

I know this because my son is a student at TTU and lives/works in Lubbock year-round. It was MUCH cheaper for him to take summer courses at South Plains College, where he'd get two classes for the price of one at Tech, but he could only take general studies courses there to have the credits transfer to Tech. And, even then, he had to make sure the math courses and such WOULD meet Tech's standards and be accepted.

If you want to graduate from Tech, don't waste time (and, possibly, money). Go to Lubbock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas