Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 09:30 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,662 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and hoping someone has some advice for me.

I live in VA now, and husband is getting tranferred to Beaumont. I am having trouble finding good info on the areas. I'm hoping someone can explain all the little cities surrounding Beaumont for me. I know for sure we dont want to move into Beaumont because of crime and schools. What we do want is to be able to find a fairly nice house (pool, 4b, 2 car gar) in the 200k range and it be in a neighborhood. (added bonus park little bit of shopping and rest nearby) I have been researching schools on greatschools.com but I have never "moved" before and i'm at a loss.

I appreciate any advice or info on different areas.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 07:37 PM

75 posts, read 381,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emailvasally View Post

I live in VA now, and husband is getting tranferred to Beaumont. I am having trouble finding good info on the areas. I'm hoping someone can explain all the little cities surrounding Beaumont for me. I know for sure we dont want to move into Beaumont because of crime and schools. What we do want is to be able to find a fairly nice house (pool, 4b, 2 car gar) in the 200k range and it be in a neighborhood. (added bonus park little bit of shopping and rest nearby) I have been researching schools on greatschools.com but I have never "moved" before and i'm at a loss.

thanks!
Emailvasally,

Are you interested in a town that is a particular size? How close to Beaumont do you wish to be?

I live in Orange, which is about 25 miles east of Beaumont on I-10. School districts in Orange County include Bridge City, Little Cypress-Mauriceville, Orangefield, Vidor, and West Orange-Stark. Bridge City, Orangefield, and West Orange-Stark are all 3A schools (this has to do with the number of students who attend) and LC-M and Vidor are 4A schools, so they have more students. (The largest schools are 5A; the smallest are 1A.)

Here is the url for the Texas Education Agency (TEA) website, listing the 2006school district ratings: http://www.tea.state.tx.us/cgi/texis...y=2006+ratings (broken link) . I think that the overall ratings for Bridge City and Orangefield school districts were "Recognized" while LC-M, Vidor, and WO-S were deemed "Academically Acceptable." ("Exemplary" is the best rating, "Recognized" is next, then "Academically Acceptable," and "Academically Unacceptable" is the worst.) These ratings often change from year to year.

Some school districts (besides the Beaumont ISD) in the area surrounding Beaumont include Port Arthur (5A), Port Neches-Groves (4A), Nederland (4A), and Sabine Pass (1A) (all in Jefferson County and south or southeast of Beaumont); Lumberton(4A), Kountze(2A), Silsbee(3A), and Hardin-Jefferson
(3A) (all north or northwest of Beaumont and I think in Hardin and Jefferson Counties); and East Chambers (?2A) and Hampshire Fannett (3A) (all west/southwest of Beaumont and I think in Chambers County).

This will let you know the names of some of the surrounding school districts at least. I'm sure I am forgetting some districts, and I'm not sure about some school sizes and counties, but I think I'm fairly close.

I think you will be able to find a home that meets your requirements in most if not all of these areas. I'll be glad to try to answer any specific questions that you have.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited by lesliegrace; 04-20-2007 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: Correct spelling.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:45 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
I would recommend 2 different school districts....Lumberton and Hardin-Jefferson (city of Sour Lake). HJ has a much better sports program IF that is important to your family.

Be aware of elevation (flood plain)wherever you buy.....many areas south of I-10 are suseptible to storm surge in the event of a hurricane.......even some areas north but not many. Be sure and ask your realtor about areas prone to localized flooding as all the areas around Beaumont are flat (they raise rice here) and we get lots of rain in SE Texas.

People are friendly here for the most part.

Welcome!

Old 04-20-2007, 10:53 PM

Default I guess I should add........

......generally the cities of Nederland and Port neches south of Beaumont are excellent areas but you are closer to the petrochemical refining areas and there is evidence of this in ones nostrils from time to time. Post more ? if you need more!

Old 04-21-2007, 12:15 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
The mall in Beaumont is really big and actually not that crowded at most times. I was surprised, not to mention impressed the first time I went there. The natural backdrop of the city is gorgeous, but other then those two things, nothing else really stood out to me. Luckily, you're only an hour away from The City.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:27 PM

42 posts, read 240,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emailvasally View Post

thanks!
did you have any particular cities in mind?

Old 04-21-2007, 04:31 PM

Thanks for replying everyone.

What I am seeing with the school districts (except Beaumont) is really good. My main concern is that it will be too.... "country". I like sidewalks, neighborhood parks, cul de sacs, and neighbors out and about to say hello. We are an active family and dont want to be to far from things but also dont want to be "right in the middle" of everything. We would like the kids to be able to ride their bike to a friends house or the park etc...

My husband will be working at the port of Beaumont and he doesnt want to be more than 25 min away.

thanks for all the info.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:37 PM

Then if you want to be more in the middle of things move into Beaumont itself and send the kids to Kelly High School......its a very highly regarded Catholic school that's in town!!! Lotsa new neighborhoods going up and plenty of existing real estate! Good luck!

Bob

Old 04-23-2007, 06:28 AM

The west end of beaumont doesnt look to bad. but I cant convince my husband of private school. Lumberton schools and crime seem good but I cant tell if there is anything nearby. I love country life but if I cant have it all (horses and chickens LOL) i'd rather live near things.

also we do a lot of "resort style" camping now. places we go have pools and lots of entertainment for the kids and weekend dances and stuff. does anyone know of good campgrounds around there like that? anything special around that area that I should plan to take the kids to? I'm not really into malls and stuff. more outdoor recreation and "family fun" type of stuff.
my husband keeps telling me that it is best if we move outside of beaumont but he doesnt think the kids and I will adjust easily. for whatever reason he is having a hard time articulating exactly why we wont.

thanks again
sally

Old 04-25-2007, 09:17 PM

Sally,

Has DH already been to Beaumont? Lumberton is only 10 minutes by divided interstate style highway into Beaumont (maybe only 5 minutes ).

It is possible to live "out" and have the horses and chickens thing and still be within 10-15 minutes of Beaumont. You might look out the FM 421 area IF this would be a dream. Lumberton is the place but it is growing (busting out at the seams) and I don't know you're gonna find exactly what your looking for here. You're just gonna have to come for a visit. My personal opinion is Lumberton is not well planned (few if any parks, no organization of streets/neighborhoods).

I drive into Beaumont from 50 miles north (up US 69) 3-4 days a week ..... work at the major hospital there. (I do the chicken and horse thing too ..... drug my Canadian wife down here in '98). You can fit in here ... its not near as pretty as Virginia but the people are really nice for the most part. Hang in there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas