Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:05 PM

8 posts, read 31,918 times

Advertisements

Somebody please tell me the real deal! PCSing to Forthood in Sept 2007, 1st move and I am lost!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 08:08 PM

364 posts, read 1,421,314 times
What do you want to know?

Old 07-31-2007, 08:54 PM

22 posts, read 98,000 times
Default Real Deal?

We are at Fort Hood.....what questions do you have?

Old 08-02-2007, 09:03 PM

I really need help with areas to live. My husband is a MP, so I am not sure where he will have to report to. But I dont want to be to far from the base.
1. Best middle school and high schools in the area..
2. Ok I called transporation and set a move date, but I planned to fly down a week before, for about 3 days to try and find a house. Will the army repay me for the plane ticket.
3. Next me and husband will be driving down for the official move and pulling the second car, how do I figure out what we will be reimbursed for.
4. I am really confused on which jobs I can apply for on USAJOBS, I assume I have spouse preference but the lady at veterans affairs said I dont.
5.When I move down and find a house, do the utility companies require a deposit.
6. What is per diem?
7. My husband is overseas now, when he comes home what allowances will we no longer have.

I have alot more but I dont want to a bother! Thank You for this information and any other information you can provide.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:12 PM

364 posts, read 1,421,314 times
Sorry to say, but I can't help you with any of those questions. If you Google "Fort Hood" you can probably find a website that will either answer your questions or guide you in the right direction. I hope you find what you are after, and welcome to the neighborhood.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTX View Post
Sorry to say, but I can't help you with any of those questions. If you Google "Fort Hood" you can probably find a website that will either answer your questions or guide you in the right direction. I hope you find what you are after, and welcome to the neighborhood.
Thank you anyway, I really just dont understand what I am reimbursed for and how!

Old 08-03-2007, 04:58 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,385,807 times
you must be a new military wife, i assume? i would go to armywives website-a great support and all your questions would be answered there.
however, i want to say that the lady at the VA is WRONG. you DO get spousal preference for all DOD/fed govt/GS/Civil Service jobs, along with AAFES etc.
most utility companies located near a military installation will give a military waiver on the deposit, as most apartments will waive a deposit. free standing houses maybe not however
per diem is the extra pay you see in his LES for OCONUS or TDY etc........
no the army wont repay you for a ticket that you purchased just to go look-see or whatever at Ft Hood prior to your PCS date

Last edited by NOTAM; 08-03-2007 at 04:59 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 08-03-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
you must be a new military wife, i assume? i would go to armywives website-a great support and all your questions would be answered there.
however, i want to say that the lady at the VA is WRONG. you DO get spousal preference for all DOD/fed govt/GS/Civil Service jobs, along with AAFES etc.
most utility companies located near a military installation will give a military waiver on the deposit, as most apartments will waive a deposit. free standing houses maybe not however
per diem is the extra pay you see in his LES for OCONUS or TDY etc........
no the army wont repay you for a ticket that you purchased just to go look-see or whatever at Ft Hood prior to your PCS date
Yes I am a new Army wife,Thank You very much for the information and I will check out the other site as well.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:53 PM

What is the correct address for the army wife forum?

Old 08-03-2007, 05:03 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,895,583 times
You only get spouse preference for government jobs if you're a WIDOW, as in your military spouse DIED. I'm a former federal employee and an Army Reserve officer's wife, and I never got any type of perference! AAFES isn't civil service, so they may give you some type of preference...not sure there.

Good luck with the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas