Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:42 PM

50 posts, read 243,171 times

Advertisements

I'm from the mid-county area and Vidor always stuck out as as backwards town in the area. I can't find the link, but a lot less of the high school graduates go to college compared to the rest of the Beaumont-Port Arthur area. It's location makes it a lot more isolated than the rest of the area where most of the towns bump up next to each other.

And just today in Houston 3 white men attacked a black ice-cream vendor in what is being described as a hate crime. Last month Paris, Tx had protests over a black man getting dragged to death by two white men. Vidor did earn it's racist reputation, but it's slowly fading away while other areas that don't have that bad reputation are still having problems.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:09 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centexguy View Post
And just today in Houston 3 white men attacked a black ice-cream vendor in what is being described as a hate crime. Last month Paris, Tx had protests over a black man getting dragged to death by two white men. Vidor did earn it's racist reputation, but it's slowly fading away while other areas that don't have that bad reputation are still having problems.

That one in the Houston area happened last month, and I just looked at the article for the location and it happened near the Spring area, which is really no shock. That's close to where that teenage boy was beaten and sodomized. You can draw a line east from Spring & Conroe to the Louisiana border to find this element.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:39 AM

39 posts, read 93,962 times
I live right up the road from Vidor (my kids actually take gymnastics at a place there) and I can say first hand it is EXTRAORDINARLY backwoods and racist and there is a STRONG KKK community there regardless of how many people want to not acknowledge it. When I first moved out to this area in 2002 there was a KKK hosted bake sale near the Market Basket off I-10, they spoke about it on the news. My son's football team also played Vidors, our team had a couple black children, needless to say by the end of the game three of their players were expelled from several games for racial slurs and the head coach was as well as several parents, it was the saddest and ugliest thing I have ever seen in my life (I'm originally from Las Vegas so diversity is a natural thing in my mind I didn't think people still acted like that I thought it was something out of the 50s!!). So yes it is very very bad in this whole area, but Vidor is most infamous for it.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:14 PM

3 posts, read 23,834 times
I am a Vidorian. I have always lived in Vidor and I have to say we have a bad reputation that no Vidorian I have ever met deserves. As a whole we are no more closed-minded, racist, rude or stupid than any other city in southeast Texas. We are not "backwards". I know for sure that I am not, and that the majority of my classmates and acquaintances are not. Doesn't that count for something? It is in ignorance that entire cities are labeled by the actions of a few.

Yes the KKK was once active here. Yes they used to recruit. I've only seen it once in my lifetime, and I promise you that every Vidorian who saw those idiots blushed and looked the other way. I know I did. I am sorry but nerdygirly, you literally know next to nothing about the Vidorian community. I don't think I know a Vidor football player who would use a racial slur in the course of a game, if only because he has a bad enough reputation as it is.

And FYI, some of my best friends are black. They live in Vidor and go to Vidor High. As far as I know they have never been discriminated against at school, or anywhere else in Vidor for that matter. In fact, they may be more liable to discrimination or prejudice from other blacks solely for living in Vidor.

It really makes me mad to written off so. Not only because I am written off so, but because my family, my friends, my classmates, my teachers, possible my future children are written off exactly like I am in the process. It hurts, truly, it does.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:23 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,713 times
Vidorian? Do you speak Vidorish? Does your city have a like a coat of arms? Sounds like something out of a RPG.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:34 PM

3 posts, read 23,834 times
Psh, excuse me. "Vidorian" is the correct demonym for those who live in Vidor...much like Austin's "Austinite", San Antonio's "San Antonian", or Fort Worth's "Fort Worthians". It is correct language that is more practical to use than "citizen of Vidor" because it takes less time to type.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanellP View Post
Psh, excuse me. "Vidorian" is the correct demonym for those who live in Vidor...much like Austin's "Austinite", San Antonio's "San Antonian", or Fort Worth's "Fort Worthians". It is correct language that is more practical to use than "citizen of Vidor" because it takes less time to type.

Never heard of a Fort Worthian before. Sorry but Vidorian is hilarious.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:49 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Vidor : Vidorian :: Houston : Houstonian

*yawn*

Old 09-24-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Vidor : Vidorian :: Houston : Houstonian

*yawn*

Wouldn't that be Houstonite?

Old 09-24-2009, 06:17 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I guess I'm a bigoted racist!
hahaha, word for word what I was thinking too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas