Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 08:47 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,519,252 times

Advertisements

Proposition 1 on the Republican ballot reads:

Quote:
Texas should replace the property tax system with an alternative other than an income tax and require voter approval to increase the overall tax burden.
My question is - what does this mean? Does it abolish property taxes all together and replace them with nothing immediately until they can figure out what to replace them with? Why doesn't it propose what to replace property taxes with? "Alternative" doesn't seem specific enough. Almost like saying, "we don't want property taxes, we're just not sure what we want". Really confused on how to vote on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 09:00 AM

5,263 posts, read 6,398,312 times
It means they want to move to a consumption tax type model (ie additional higher rates of sales tax on products purchased), because consumption taxes hit lower income earners harder and property tax hits upper income earners harder.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:01 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,105 times
Vote no. Never give politicians a blank check.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:59 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
Consumption tax hits everyone equally. The more you earn, the more you spend, and the more tax you pay, and the inverse applies to lower wage earners.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:16 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Consumption tax hits everyone equally. The more you earn, the more you spend, and the more tax you pay, and the inverse applies to lower wage earners.
Not true at all...higher earners spend a much smaller percentage of their income on items subject to a consumption tax - investments, retirement, savings, or other out-of-state (or otherwise shielded) ventures would likely be exempt. Low income earners tend to spend almost all of their income on items that would likely be subject to consumption tax (utilities, clothing, food(?), rent).

Of course, it all comes down to those exemptions and whether it is a flat consumption tax or tiered (i.e. higher for luxury items or exemptions for food items). My guess is it would not work out in favor of the lower-income.

Note that this is not any kind of binding vote, just a 'poll', essentially, targeting republican voters.

Most very wealthy people live in expensive residences, and there are almost no tax-avoidance mechanisms for property taxes currently. It must bug the crap out of them that they have to pay those and would really love to see that change.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:50 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,492,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Not true at all...higher earners spend a much smaller percentage of their income on items subject to a consumption tax - investments, retirement, savings, or other out-of-state (or otherwise shielded) ventures would likely be exempt. Low income earners tend to spend almost all of their income on items that would likely be subject to consumption tax (utilities, clothing, food(?), rent).

Of course, it all comes down to those exemptions and whether it is a flat consumption tax or tiered (i.e. higher for luxury items or exemptions for food items). My guess is it would not work out in favor of the lower-income.

Note that this is not any kind of binding vote, just a 'poll', essentially, targeting republican voters.

Most very wealthy people live in expensive residences, and there are almost no tax-avoidance mechanisms for property taxes currently. It must bug the crap out of them that they have to pay those and would really love to see that change.
Bingo.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:22 PM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
You seem to think that wealthy people don't spend money... That's totally not true. They spend a LOT more on luxury items, such as restaurant meals, designer clothing, vacations, automobiles, technology, etc. You might be shocked to know that many "wealthy" people live paycheck to paycheck just like the lower income folks do. They just spend their money on different things.

Food (non-hot/grocery) has NEVER been subject to sales tax, and I doubt any lawmakers would dare try to tax it since that would hit the poor very hard. We already pay city/state taxes on utilities so that's a wash, and the amount of property tax we pay now would probably even out with a consumption tax on all of the other items.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:34 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,402 times
I think I would vote no. I now rent. The owners of the apartment would pay no property tax but not lower my rent. However, I would pay more for things I consume. I can't see, at this point, until I hear further discussion, as to how I would "win".

Old 02-21-2016, 05:41 AM

5,263 posts, read 6,398,312 times
Quote:
Food (non-hot/grocery) has NEVER been subject to sales tax, and I doubt any lawmakers would dare try to tax it since that would hit the poor very hard.
In most VAT/consumption tax schemes, food is taxed. If you are explicitly removing property tax and income tax, then it's your goal to hit the poor for taxes harder than the wealthy. It's blatant and obvious.

And wealthy people pay less consumption tax because more wealthy income is hidden in 401k, IRAs, education/HSA and many other very common tax avoidance vehicles.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Who pays sales tax on rent ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas